League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How we choose weekly free champions (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=46045)

RiotChris 01-13-2010 10:02 AM

How we choose weekly free champions

From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris

Larias 01-13-2010 10:06 AM

Thanks for the info :)

DrFromGallifrey 01-13-2010 10:17 AM

So there's no pattern to it? It's all completely random?

I resent Riot every day a little more.

RiotChris 01-13-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herborist (Hozzászólás 509450)

What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris

JeffryWinkles 01-13-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotChris (Hozzászólás 509374)
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p

ibplunderin 01-13-2010 11:25 AM

Then again I have had feeder poppies (and when udyr came out feeder/bad udyr's) that have completely thrown away almost all of my games today so....

thats just my 2 cents on the subject.

Xiao 01-13-2010 11:37 AM

Personally I'm looking forward to the week of April 1st, when they run 10 yordles.

TheJackalMan 01-13-2010 11:52 AM

I personaly think that the weekly free champion rotation should regularly be rotated as the name implies, weekly. And as posted above, new champs should be rotated in the week they're released. I'm thinking rotate schedule should start Thursday night/Friday morning. That way the new rotation starts on the high traffic time , at least I'd think, of Friday - Sunday. That way you get the champ feedback fresh for the next work week. Also, since patch/content drops can be Tuesday or Wednesday and you can use that for marketing purposes: " Purchase the new champ with IP or RP and access them before they're rotated in!". Theres my 2 cents :p

Hubbz 01-13-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herborist (Hozzászólás 509450)

I resent Riot every day a little more.

If you want to hate something for not having a pattern, hate the lottery :P

aýo 01-13-2010 02:41 PM

i don't want to be a ***** or anything but lol would be cool if we can just choose 3 champs to keep forever and work our way up and there wouldn't have to be work into the champ switching each week.