League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Mac Client (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Play league from windows partition (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3602174)

BroSlayher 06-27-2013 07:26 PM

Play league from windows partition

Is it possible to play league form the bootcamp partition? Would save a lot of space on my SSD if I were able to figure out how to do this.

I know i dont have writing capacity for the NTSC drive on OSX, but if i were install drivers for this would it be at all possible?

Brentmeister 06-28-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroSlayher (Hozzászólás 39208146)
Is it possible to play league form the bootcamp partition? Would save a lot of space on my SSD if I were able to figure out how to do this.

I know i dont have writing capacity for the NTSC drive on OSX, but if i were install drivers for this would it be at all possible?

I suppose it might be possible? I've never tried using my bootcamp partition from inside OSX but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Make sure you put the Mac client on the bootcamp partition because you 100% will not be able to run the Windows client from inside OSX.

Mirror 06-28-2013 12:19 PM

Are you asking if you can copy-paste your League app onto the Windows half of your internal drive, and then run it under your Mac side?

Brentmeister 06-28-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirror (Hozzászólás 39230484)
Are you asking if you can copy-paste your League app onto the Windows half of your internal drive, and then run it under your Mac side?

Yeah I'm pretty sure thats what he's talking about. His post was a little confusing at first.

Mirror 06-28-2013 01:32 PM

I've personally had trouble duplicating the Mac installation (runs into permissions errors on something hidden in the nest of launcher + client + game files cloaked within the .app). Can't copy it to another place on my drive, can't restore it from a Time Machine drive. I tried changing permissions for all files within, and that didn't help. I considered poking around inside, but the last time I did that I got a Maestro error and the Launcher would never launch again.

I guess the real test would just be to try directly installing it there. If you drop the installer into your Boot Camp partition (as opposed to Applications folder) and it doesn't open, or has problems installing, then you have your answer. =]

Since you can't write to your Boot Camp side from your Mac through traditional means, the fastest way to get the installer app there would probably be to mount the .dmg and throw the installer onto a USB drive, reboot into Windows, drag it back off, reboot back into OS X, and try to launch it.

Brentmeister 06-28-2013 05:35 PM

I could definitely see Windows borking the permissions on the disk.

Xavdidtheshadow 06-28-2013 07:08 PM

Hey, so i'm 95% this wont work. The way that mac apps and windows programs are laid out (filestructure, .exe, etc). Even if you put the mac app on the windows side, the filesystem (FAT32 vs Mac OS journaled) doesn't play nice with each other.

You can though run LoL off of an external drive with minimal slowdown.

SimplyOj 06-28-2013 08:11 PM

I play league on a mac converted to windows: I put league on a flash drive and just copied it over and it works fine. Of course, that required two computers, so not sure if you're willing to do that. But it does work.

BroSlayher 06-29-2013 07:44 AM

Sorry about the confusion, but RiotBrentmaster you had the right of it.

Right now i have a bootcamp partition with LOL installed on it. I don't want to install a second copy of LOL on my OSX partition because that is a huge waste of space on my SSD. What i was thinking is having the Mac LOL launcher use my bootcamp partition as the source. So my real question was, is the file structure the same between OSX and Windows (which i kind of got a yes based on RiotBrentmaster's comment, thanks for that!)

Simply I want LOL on both OSX and windows, but i only want to install it once (it's a big game for my MBP's SSD).

I am going to install some software like ParagonNTFS or Tuxera and see if i can change the permission on the lol launcher to use the bootcamp partition. I will let you know how this works.

I am surprised i got such constructive feedback (mostly), thank you all for that!

-BS

Mirror 06-29-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroSlayher (Hozzászólás 39256387)
So my real question was, is the file structure the same between OSX and Windows (which i kind of got a yes based on RiotBrentmaster's comment, thanks for that!)

Simply I want LOL on both OSX and windows, but i only want to install it once (it's a big game for my MBP's SSD)

No, I'm sorry, that isn't going to work. =[