League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   {Guide} Tarzan, In the Mighty Jungle (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=357250)

Thas Ninja 11-22-2010 01:14 PM

{Guide} Tarzan, In the Mighty Jungle

EDIT: Alright, havent checked this thread in awhile, been playing to much LoL. Patch 1.24 didnt really affect WW as a champion at all, but it did take away from the AoE metagame, which is good for WW players everywhere. (And for the entire game, that stuff was getting ridiculous). Check out the item and jungling sections for some of my test results for Hexdrinker and Hunters Call.

Well, if you clicked this thread hoping to learn how to play Tarzan, I'm sorry. I feel really bad about tricking you, but it's really the only way to get you realize that when you play Warwick, its jungle or gtfo. Really now, its just a waste not to jungle when playing him, and it just helps your team oodles more than playing him in a lane. Right now, if your reading this and have been laning WW, you are bad and you should feel bad. But wait! Your sins may be repented. "Alas, I am of a low summoner level, and cannot afford the runes to play jungle Warwick". You may be thinking this, but jungle Warwick is for everyone, dont you worry.

A Basic Outline Of Warwick In A Competitive Team Setup

Warwick is not a pure DPS champion. In lower levels of play you might be able to pull this off, but in higher levels you will not be able effectively carry your team as a pure DPS would. WW is an off tank DPS, and fits well in most team setups, and is quite useful to have around if played correctly. Effective ganker, chaser, initiator and damage dealer, Warwick can do lots for the right team.

The Wolf's Skills

Passive: Eternal Thirst
Heals Warwick for 5/10/15 health per hit, and stacks to heal more each consecutive hit. Really, really good passive, awesome for your jungling, awesome for teamfights, awesome for being able to win 3v1's when your built right. Awesome.

Q: Hungering Strike
Whacks the target with 75/125/175/225/275 magic damage or 8/11/14/17/20% of their health in magic damage, whichever is the greater value. Along with the Madreds Bloodrazor you will be building, this makes you a great anti-tank force. Also helps alot with your jungling, letting you sustain yourself super duper easy.

W: Hunters Call
Steroids are bad, but not, apparently, for wolves. Gives you a 40/50/60/70/80% attack speed boost for 10 seconds, and globally increases your allies by half of that. Pretty nice, also helps out in jungling lots.

E: Blood Scent
At first, your like "wtf how this skill work ****a." Thats why your reading this guide, Ima show you (****a). So basically, if there is a low health (below 50%) champion within 1500/2300/3100/3900/4700 units of you, you gain 20/25/30/35/40% MS and sight of that champion. Really, really, really cool, helps with ganking and chasing after teamfights. The only time you want to toggle this off is when your setting up for a gank; while you are waiting in the bush the enemy will see this debuff on them and run the **** back to their tower. Turn it on as soon as you initiate though, as the MS is quite uber.

R: Infinate Duress
Rounding out your skillset, this is a nice Ult. Lunge and rharg, whack someone five times while suppressing them, pretty sick. Procs on hit effects and your passive, and gives you a solid 30% lifesteal while your whacking them. In reality, the lifesteal is classified as a healing effect, which is awesome x5. You'll see.

What Your Packing, In The Way Of......

Summoner Spells
Smite: Obvs. People will say that WW can jungle without smite, and its true, he can. But wait. Why would he? Your jungle times slow to a crawl, and you lose out on the extra gold it gives with mastery improvement.

Exhaust: Pretty much necessary, IMO. One of the best parts about having a jungler is the ganking potential, and before level 6, you have absolutely no CC. (Apart from lizard buff, but that isnt always enough). Really helps with the early game ganks, and once you have your Ult, the two chain together nicely.

You could take flash, you could take ghost, you could take something that would help you haul your ***** ass out of the fight, but really. Warwick doesnt do that. Also, you dont need heal. Or rally. Or Teleport. Or Revive. Smite and exhaust, gg.

Runes
This is the part where most low level summoners that wish to play WW balk out. "Omg," they will say, "I can never afford a full attack speed page." Dont even worry about it, you can jungle WW without any runes at all. Full attack speed is recommended, but they are not needed. At all. Still completely do-able without them.

Masteries
21-0-9
Offence, increased experience in Utility. Enough Said.

Items
Madreds Bloodrazor
Berserkers Greaves
Spirit Visage

Those three items are your core build, that you will build (or try to build) every single game. after finishing your bloodrazor, there are a few choices you must make, which depend on the game:
1: Are you getting most of the kills, or is that being taken care of by some other DPS on your team.
2: Is your team dying to fast in team confrontations.
3: Is there more than one beefy character on your team (excluding yourself).
If you answered "yes" to the first and "no" the last two, then you should start building The Black Cleaver. This is mostly because of how its passive on-hit synergizes with your ultimate. If you answered "yes" to number 2, either you answered yes to number three or your tanks are not doing their job. Either way, build a Guardian Angel. Great defensive item, really lets you sit in the fight for its duration and get the most out of your Bloodrazor procs. Now, as of last patch, the new item Hexdrinker has come into play. I have yet to try it out on WW, but it does look like a solid choice in the event that your team has enough tank and enough DPS for you to be able to keep building in the middle. If you've tried it out and it is terrible for him, please let me know.

EDIT: Hexdrinker. Really solid item for a Warwick facing at least one burst caster. As of the current meta (patch 1.24), it is quite possible that you wont be facing any bursters. TL;DR Grab it if your getting nuked.

Jungling, Teamfights, and That Annoying Little Stage In Between, Midgame

Jungling

EDIT: As per suggestion, I tested out W as a first skill when jungling. The result: Faster, but hugely risky without attack speed runes. (I tested it with both, for all you scrubs out there). TL;DR Take W if you have the runes for it, if not, take Q.

So, you hop into a game, your all, "YE BOI TIME TO JUNGLE SOME WW!", and you have no goddam idea what to do. Its ight, thats why your here. Hungering Strike is your first skill, and your first buy is a Cloth Armor, 2 Health Potions, and a Sight Ward. Warwick, in all honesty, really does not need more than 2 pots, and the ward gives some added security to your solo top. (Always make your 2v1 go top, as if they are bottom, they are very vulnerable after the enemy team decides to do dragon). Now, if you are playing purple (I think? The team in the top right corner?), you have two options. If you can get someone on your team to take Clairvoyance, then you can use your ward up top to help out the 2v1, and get Clairvoyance to make sure the enemy team wont come and gank you while you are doing golem. If you a playing pubs and cant get this to happen, then you will just have to use your ward down near dragon, preferably as far to the dragon edge of the bushes right near bottom lane. This way, bottom laners will have visibility inside the bushes, and you will be able to check for incoming golem ganks.
As you can see, your most favorable scenario is playing blue team (bottom left, Im probably wrong). This way, you do not need clairvoyance and can help your 2v1 top as well as saving yourself from golem ganks, because your teams golem is near the top lane, not the bottom one.
(Note: The following is all from the perspective of the bottom left corner (blue?) team. If you are playing as purple, simply change all the "down"'s to "up"'s)
Once you have wards and lanes and Clairvoyance figured out, its time to start jungling. Golem spawns at 1:52, and no matter what is going on, you need to be there to kill it. Whack it with smite, take a hit or two, then pop a potion and use Hungering Strike. You will not have to use any more potions, just trust your passive and your Q to keep you alive, because they will. After the golem camp (make sure to take down the two little lizards as well), you will hit level 2. Grab a point into W, Hunters Call, and head down to the wolf camp right below golem. Pop W, take a few swings, pop Q, repeat. Only use Hunters Call once per camp though, as you really dont want it on CD for the next one. After wolves, go to wraiths and follow the same pattern of W, swings, Q, swings, Q, etc. Use Q whenever it's off cooldown, as the CD is low and it really helps keep your HP up. After wraiths you should hit level 3, take a point in Q again and move on to the lizard camp. Smite should be up by now, hit him with it right away, pop W and Q, and use Q whenever its off CD. Lizard should drop fairly quickly, after taking him and his minions out head down to the big golems near bot lane. Hunters Call, Hungering Strike, etc, after these you will hit level 4. If top lane is doing fine, then take another point into Hunters Call. If not, Grab Blood Scent and head up for a gank. (When ganking, simply run in, throw exhaust on the focus/weakest target, pop W, pop Q, and start swinging. Don't worry if you dont get a kill, the enemy will now realize that you are in the jungle and could come out at any time. This means they will be less aggressive, so your 2v1 laner will have an easier time either way). If you chose not to gank, walk up to the enemies golem and steal that son *****. I recommend waiting to use smite for the last hit, because if you get found out then you can quickly kill it and run away. After golem, quickly finish the wolf camp right near it and then take a blue pill to spend yo monies.
TL;DR Jungling: Your golem, wolf camp, wraith camp, lizard camp, little golems, their golem, their wolves. Gank.

Dammit Midgame, your so Annoying.
After Scotty beams you back to shop, you'll probably **** yourself with all the possibilities. What you should be doing?
(Hint: its not ****ting yourself)
Buying up a Madreds Razor and Boots of Speed. Now, your lizard buff is probably about 2/3 of the way up, so you should probably head up to gank top and take advantage of its slow. This is really the only thing that I can tell you that you must do, which is why I find mid game so annoying. Gank situationally, take dragon (subsection incoming!) whenever its up, and generally amass enough gold for your Spirit Visage. If you havent grasped the fact that SV increases your passive heal, your Q heal, and your Ult heal by 20% yet, then you should probably gtfo. After Spirit Visage, build Madreds Bloodrazor. If your lucky, you might even get it done before all **** breaks loose and team fights roll around.
Dat Subsection: Taking Dragon
This should happen whenever its up, and when you are doing it, get your team to be on high alert. Ask for immediate MIA calls, pings, whatever can help you take dragon without getting your balls shoved up your nose. Also, if some poor soul thinks he can 1v1 you and steal Dragon, kindly show him that he is incredibly wrong. You may not have as much damage as some champions, but your with your heals you are almost guaranteed to outlast anyone, maybe even Garen, if you get lucky. Knowing when to Ult (subsection! yay!) is a key factor in all confrontations, but it is epecially important in 1v1 fights.
Dat Subsection, Ep. 2: Ulting
So like, with your ult, you can like, really turn a fight around. In 1v1s, youll want to use it when the enemy gets around 50-40% health, so that you get boosted up to about 75% and they end up down around 20%. As I said, ball-clenching turnaround, and you should be able to finish the fight with a swing or two and a Q. In team fights, try to avoid using your Ult to initiate. Using it to catch runners is a lot more useful, and if your team comp isnt on meth, you really shouldnt need the CC during the fight if you brought exhaust.
TL;DR Midgame: Gank lots, Jungle lots, get built for late game.

Team Fights

The part of the game we all love. As Warwick, your job is to walk in, hit W right away, and go straight for the beefies. Not necessarily the tank, but the targets that your teams main DPS doesnt want to waste time on. With your Q and Bloodrazor you can take these targets down relatively quick, so that your team doesnt have to worry about them messing with your DPS. After taking down 1 or 2, Ult on anyone who's trying to run so your team can catch up, and then push (subsection #3 baybee). If your team is losing the fight and is running, ult on the enemy DPS and try and take them down. At this point, you are the meatshield, the reason that the rest of your team get's away. This does not mean that you should head back in if everyone is going to get away, it means saving your Ashe from death so she can defend your mid tower. In general, use the fact that every swing of yours takes 4% health, and your hard hitting spammable Q to take down the champs that your DPS dont want to have to mess with.
Subsection, Ep 3: Pushing After a Teamfight
So you just got the ace, and your team is celebrating. Awesome, cool, fun. Please do not simply blue pill and buy some items, then head back to your lane. Push a tower, do dragon, do baron, take some reward with that ace. Also, pillaging the enemies wimmins is an option
TL;DR Teamfights: Focus tanky targets, catch runners with your Ult and E.

C-c-c-conclusion!
Jungle WW is good
Lane WW is bad
Whether you decide to follow my build, my playstyle, or anything to do with this guide or not, I would like you to at least follow that one piece of information. Thanks, and have fun with WW.

Leirkov 11-22-2010 01:25 PM

This guide is hilarious, but I've got some criticism.

You say WW is an offtank DPS. Yet aside from Bloodrazor, you have 0 tank items in your core.

Your bloodrazor will be done around 20 minutes, unless you're raping the entire game for some reason. Merc Treads for survivability. (Remember, W = AS). GA after means you're almost never going to die. After that I typically grab a Banshee's Veil. The more "ooh pretty effects" on you, the less people wanna kill you.

Herkucheeze 11-22-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Right now, if your reading this and have been laning WW, you are bad and you should feel bad
+1, good guide.

Thas Ninja 11-22-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leirkov (Hozzászólás 4255686)
This guide is hilarious, but I've got some criticism.

You say WW is an offtank DPS. Yet aside from Bloodrazor, you have 0 tank items in your core.

Your bloodrazor will be done around 20 minutes, unless you're raping the entire game for some reason. Merc Treads for survivability. (Remember, W = AS). GA after means you're almost never going to die. After that I typically grab a Banshee's Veil. The more "ooh pretty effects" on you, the less people wanna kill you.

I agree Im not building full tank, but Spirit Visage is a tank item (Or at least off tank).

You might be right about the Merc Treads, as I've never tried them on WW, I do not know. I can see building them in a situation where you only have one other tanky character on your team, but I'll try them in my regular setup when I get the chance.

Thanks for the feedback, its appreciated :)

Evangelion 11-22-2010 02:17 PM

I support the whole Merc Treads thing, usually my rule of thumb is if there's more than 3 hard disables, go Mercs.

I personally do Spirit Visage after getting Boots 2 and Madred's Razor, then getting Bloodrazor. After those three items, I'll do more beef, eg. Sunfires and Banshees. I really don't like GA, not even sure why.

P.S. Lanewick is surprisingly good, played a game with Wazzabi once and he wrecked with it.

Thas Ninja 11-22-2010 05:41 PM

Bump, and yes, I can see how WW would be a good force in the lane. I could really only lane him, though, if someone else on your team is jungling.
TL;DR IMO, the benefits of having a jungler outweigh those of having a strong laner.

Al da Bok 11-23-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

W: Hunters Call
Steroids are bad, but not, apparently, for wolves. Gives you a 40/50/60/70/80% attack speed boost for 10 seconds, and globally increases your allies by half of that. Pretty nice, also helps out in jungling lots.
I believe it's not global anymore. Hasn't been for a good couple of patches. Reason is it was too easy to get assists.

But I might be wrong, I'm not a WW player. To be confirmed

Pheonixleader 11-23-2010 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al da Bok (Hozzászólás 4273396)
I believe it's not global anymore. Hasn't been for a good couple of patches. Reason is it was too easy to get assists.

But I might be wrong, I'm not a WW player. To be confirmed

You are correct. It was too easy for ww players to assists in pushes while pushing their own lane across the map. So like everything else that used to be OP, it was hit with the nerf bat. :(

MrEnzyme 11-23-2010 12:10 PM

Getting W first is best as its faster overall than Q. Other than that, good guide.

Thas Ninja 11-23-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pheonixleader (Hozzászólás 4273729)
You are correct. It was too easy for ww players to assists in pushes while pushing their own lane across the map. So like everything else that used to be OP, it was hit with the nerf bat. :(

Thanks for that, does anyone know what the range is now? The champion info pages are notoriously outdated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Who ever said this, sorry I've forgetten your name
Getting W first is best as its faster overall than Q. Other than that, good guide.

Ive never tried this, I think I'll do a game with this and Hexdrinker and update the guide. Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated :)