League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   It's Shaco! Where'd he g-... Carleton's guide to an AP Shaco (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=34729)

Carleton 12-10-2009 07:50 PM

It's Shaco! Where'd he g-... Carleton's guide to an AP Shaco

Well..This is my first guide and I hope you enjoy it! --EDITED 2/18/10
The MOST important thing I can tell you about Shaco is to keep your opponents guessing. Shaco is a hero that is ALL about misdirection and confusion and if you're able to anticipate your enemies reactions/movements, he's one of the funnest champions I've ever played.

Abilities
Racial: Backstab
Shaco deals 25% bonus damage when striking a unit from behind.
(Pretty self explanatory. GREAT for last hitting while keeping zone control early game.)

Deceive
Shaco instantly stealths for 4 seconds, and teleports to target nearby location. If he attacks while stealthed, the attack is guaranteed to crit for a bonus 50 / 70 / 90 / 110 / 130% damage.
(This is what makes Shaco so dangerous. This skill makes him incredibly hard to keep track of, kill, and if used correctly, predict. Also, always aim to hit your opponents back to receive your backstab damage. Casting spells while stealthed doesn't break stealth^_^)

Jack in the Box
Shaco creates a Jack in the Box at the target location. It will Stealth after 2 seconds, and pop out when an enemy comes near, fearing nearby enemies for 0.5 / 0.75 / 1 / 1.25 / 1.5 seconds attacking them. It deals 25 (+0.35 per ability power) damage, and lasts 90 seconds while stealthed or 5 seconds while firing.
(I find that alot of people really underestimate how amazingly good these lil guys are. They can be used to stop a fleeing hero, keep temporary tabs on key locations [baron/dragon/etc], used to set up ambushes, or even to keep an enemy jungler under control.)

Two-Poison Shiv
Passive: While Two-Shiv Poison is ready to cast: Shaco's attacks poison his target, reducing their movement speed and chance to hit by 20 / 22.5 / 25 / 27.5 / 30% for 2 seconds.
Active: Deals half weapon damage +40 / 80 / 120 / 160 / 200 (+1 per ability power) Damage to target enemy, and poisons them for 3 seconds.
(1:1 Ability power?! AND a slow/miss chance?! This is why we build Shaco this way!)

Hallucinate
Shaco creates an illusion of himself nearby, which deals 75% damage and receives 200 / 165 / 130%. On Death, the illusion deals 300 / 450 / 600 (+1 per ability power) magic damage to nearby enemies. Lasts up to 30 seconds.
(I absolutely LOVE this ability. Relatively short cooldown, decent melee damage scaling, 1:1 AP [AGAIN?! ^_^], and useable to dodge skill shots like blitz/ashe/morgana/etc.)

Build Order
1.Two-Shiv Poison-1 OR Jack in the Box if you plan to solo golem.
2.Deceive-1
3.Two-Shiv Poison-2
4.Jack in the Box-1
5.Two-Shiv Poison-3
6.Hallucinate-1
7.Two-Shiv Poison-4
8.Jack In The Box-2
9.Two-Shiv Poison-5
10.Jack in the Box-3
11.Jack in the Box-4
12.Jack in the Box-5
13.Hallucinate-2
14.Deceive-2
15.Deceive-3
16.Hallucinate-3
17.Deceive-4
18.Deceive-5

Runes & Masteries
There are 2 masteries that I've found to be most effective with this build.
My preferred choice of masteries for Shaco is 21/9/0
Offence
1x Archmage's Savvy
3x Deadliness
4x Sorcery
1x Burning Embers
1x Archaic Knowledge
3x Sunder (Increases your deceive damage)
3x Brute Force (Further increases your deceive damage)
3x Lethality (Increases your deceive even MOAR!)
1x Havoc (Makes everything hit harder)
Defense
3x Hardiness
1x Resistance
4x Evasion
1x Nimbleness
Ok, so why did I choose to go all the way down the offense tree and pick up lots of melee masteries when I'm playing an AP shaco? Well, since we leave deceive at level 1 throughout most of the game, these small boosts will help deceive do considerably more damage.
I chose to put 9 points in defense because we take almost get almost no survivability through items so the 6 AR helps somewhat but it's the Evasion and Nimbleness that we really want.

The other choice for Shaco would be to go 9/0/21 to maximize the amount of cooldown reduction you can get.
Utility
3x Perseverence (Who doesn't like natural regen?)
1x Good Hands (We don't use ghost or teleport)
4x Awareness
3x Meditation
2x Utility Mastery
3x Quickness
1x Blink of an Eye (Mmm more flashes)
3x Intelligence
1x Presence of the Master (Even more flashes?!)
Offense
3x Archmage's Savvy
1x Deadliness
4x Sorcery
1x Archaic Knowledge
This build really focuses on getting your cooldowns real low so you can spam his already spammable moves even more spammable. Spammable.

Onto runes, I'll cover each type.
Marks: Greater Mark of Insight x9. These will make all of your spells hit harder.

Seals: Greater Seal of Evasion x9. I used to play with hp runes but I felt that the effective hp that dodge runes give you are much better throughout the course of a game.

Glyphs: Greater Seal of Focus x9. Not much to say about these other than that they are awesome.

Quintessence: Greater Quintessence of Fortitude x3. It's a great boost to your early and mid game survival. Other possible choices are Greater Quintessence of Insight for more MP or Greater Quintessence of Focus for even more CD reduction.

Summoner Spells
Ignite: This spell is just awesome and often underestimated. At level 18 it does 500 damage thats COMPLETELY unmitigated. This can be cast while stealthed w/out losing your stealth. Enemy hero thinks he's gotten away and out of no where he's hit with an ignite. GG.
Flash: Some people may disagree with me about flash but since it's recent change, it has become an AMAZING ability for Shaco, especially with this build. I'll explain in greater detail later.
Ghost: Another great option for Shaco because it allows him to travel considerably farther while deceived which can easily make the difference between life and death.

Items
So the game's started and you're agonizing over which item(s) to get. Well, that's why you're reading this guide so lets get on it!

First item-Sapphire Crysta and 2x Health Potion
Or if you're confident w/your lane mate and plan on getting Mejai's, Amplifying Tome and 1x Health Potion

Second item-Boots of Speed

Optional: Mejai's Codex: I say optional because some times we aren't going to be playing to our full potential and if you're dying 4-5+ times, Mejai's isn't going to worth the gold.
But, if you have a good start and you have 2-3 kills early game, definitely get it.

3rd item- Sheen- Reasoning: Early ap boost plus huge damage boost to your deceive.

4th item- Sorcerer's Shoes OR Mercury Tread if there are lots of disables/ap users

From here on, it depends on what the game is looking like.

If the enemy team decided to stack HP, Deathfire Grasp- Reasoning: This item scales incredibly well into late game and will hit those high hp heroes REALLY hard. This will also help keep your mana up so you can whittle down their hp w/standard harassment.

If the enemy team has a lot of AoE or your team keeps losing team fights, Aegis of the Legion- Reasoning: Your double gets ALL of your items and ALL of the benefits they provide and since Legion auras stack (so long as they are from different sources) this makes your ult SO much stronger for team fights.

If you're doing poorly, getting CC'd/focused: Banshee's Veil
OR Guardian's Angel- Reasoning: Your double will gain the on death effect of GA and so it will pop for damage twice and also provide more of a distraction

IF you're doing well but heavily focused: Rod Of Ages

IF the enemies are stacking MR: Void Staff OR lich bane if you already have lots of magic pen. Abyssal Scepter is another great choice for this too.

If the enemies aren't stacking MR OR focusing you[best case]: Now it's just preference between Zhonya's Ring,Lich Bane, or both if time permits. If you want your dagger/jesters to hit harder you'll want to go w/Zhonya's but if you want your deceive to do considerably more damage plus a mediocre damage boost to your dagger go w/lich (my preference).

READ: You will probably need to buy more health potions throughout the game and that is OK, I typically buy between 6-12 throughout the course of a game. Wait, if I'm buying 6-12 health potions why don't I just get a Regrowth Pendant? Regrowth pendant costs 475 while 12 Health Potions cost only 420.

Farming
Avoid soloing at all costs!!!
Alright, you've got your first item(s) and now you're off to your lane! But what lane do you chose? If you chose JITB as your first skill, you'll want to head which ever lane has your team's golem buff, otherwise it doesn't matter.

If you decided to go with JITB you'll want to head to the golem asap and start planting your boxes immediately. Make sure that you don't plant the boxes too close to the actual spawn or else your JITBs will target the lizards first and you will not be able to kill the golem. Typically 5 or 6 will do the trick. After it's dead you can either head straight to your tower or go around the side and try to get FB from the bushes, your call.

So you're at the tower and you finally see who you're up against and depending on who that is, your farming is going to vary. One general strategy will be prevalent despite any match-up; play from the bushes AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Remember, we're all about misdirection and confusion.

If it's 1/2 melee you're not really going have to worry much, just last hit the creeps that you can, don't go to deep, and if you start getting attacked just deceive away. If they start to get more aggressive throw some daggers at them, teach them that you're not to be taken lightly!

If it's 1 ranged 1 melee you're going to have to be more cautious and be very careful what you chose to last hit because your regen is limited. In this scenario I suggest playing from the bushes as much as possible and only coming out to harass or last hit. Be conservative with your mana and try to coordinate attacks with your teammate.

If it's 2 ranged you're going to have a tough early game but it's by no means impossible to still stay on top of things. Once again, you're going to want to play from the bushes as much as possible but also harass your enemy champions with as many daggers as you possibly can. With this build these daggers will hit HARD and it will keep those champions farther back and will hopefully make them wary of you. If this succeeds you will have a much easier time getting last hits and avoiding harassment as well.

Regardless of the match-up, if you're simply getting outplayed you're going to have to sit back behind your ranged creeps and last with your dagger or auto-attack the melee creeps that come up to your ranged creeps.

Jungling
Shaco is not much a jungle hero but the runes play a huge role in your success so you're going to have to jungle some and here's how to do it. Once you hit 6 head to the nearest golem buff and drop your JITB. Immediately cast Hallucinate and proceed to auto attack. Once the fear wears off of the creeps you will notice they target your clone and if they don't just deceive and that'll fix it.

While Shaco doesn't make the greatest jungling hero, he does make one of the BEST anti-jungling hero. Find a route that you anticipate a hero to travel soon (with brush nearby[this is key]) and start laying your JITB, 3-5 should be more than enough. Between each JITB be sure to hide in the bushes to avoid detection.
When/if a hero comes around, hit him with your dagger just as he enters the JITBs' range, this will ensure maximum damage from the JITBs. You should only wait 30-60 seconds after laying your final JITB before giving up and leaving otherwise you will quickly find yourself underleveled.

Your role in the team
With this build, your role in team fights will be focus firing and picking off stragglers. DO NOT INITIATE. When a fight has started pick your target, deceive in, drop a JITB, use your deathfire, hit your target, and then throw your dagger. This should be done on their carry(unless they are a tank) and should bring most carries down to >35%, provided they haven't been stacking tons of MR/HP.

After you this initial rotation off you should then pop your ult and deceive away to find a new target while sending your double into the fray.

If things are going poorly and your team has to retreat, be sure to drop JITBs to cover their retreat and if need be throw a dagger too.

Shaco is also incredibly good at baiting at low hp due to his amazing escaping ability. I can't tell you how many kills I've gotten with <10% hp because of this, especially in big team fights. Doing this is something that is hard to explain though, it mostly comes down to how comfortable/confident you are with Shaco. I will regularly enter fights with <20%hp simply because I know that a)i have a JITB in my escape route b) i'm near a wall I can teleport past or c)my team is close enough to distract them which allows me to come back and get the kill (or at very least the assist).

Pros/Cons
Pros
Extremely high burst damage
Very hard to kill w/out a stun/silence
Great at picking off stragglers.

Cons
Very squishy
Hard to play
Limited regen

Conclusion
Well, I hope you have enjoyed reading my first guide as much I enjoyed writing it. Shaco is a very fun hero with a unique set of skills that makes him, in my opinion, the best assassin in the game.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

KaptainKrunch 12-10-2009 09:59 PM

> means greater than... < is less than

Also wouldn't it make more sense to throw in autoattacks between your skills in the rotation to take more advantage of the sheen/lichbane?

Other than that pretty good guide.

Carleton 12-10-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaptainKrunch (Hozzászólás 385930)
> means greater than... < is less than

Also wouldn't it make more sense to throw in autoattacks between your skills in the rotation to take more advantage of the sheen/lichbane?

Other than that pretty good guide.

Fixed. About to graduate from college and can't even get my signs right..lulz.
Unless using deathfire procs sheen I'm only losing one possible sheen and that's so I can drop the JITB while still stealthed. Also, after hitting a target from deceive puts you in melee range (obviously) so when you throw your dagger at them it will immediately autoattack, consuming your 2nd sheen.

12-11-2009 03:05 PM

Not a bad guide, pretty well written - although your Farming section is exactly the same as your Item section :)

Carleton 12-11-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tali3sin (Hozzászólás 389274)
Not a bad guide, pretty well written - although your Farming section is exactly the same as your Item section :)

Ahh ****, I made this over at leaguecraft and i copy+pasted the items twice. Fixed.

Carleton 12-15-2009 11:05 PM

Shamelessly bumping for my own great justice.

wildfire393 12-16-2009 12:04 AM

A few comments: Archmage's Savvy really isn't worthwhile as a Mastery (it gives a grand total of 10 AP at level 18), and Burning Embers is fairly weak as well (it's only bonus is another 10 AP, and this is only after you've cast Embers. Since you usually want to be using Embers as the final hit of your combo, this ends up doing very little). Ignite in general is a fairly weak spell. I would strongly suggest going with Exhaust instead. It makes it so that the enemy cannot really escape your gank attempts or stops them from ganking you (especially if they are physical), and with the improved mastery, it increases your damage output on them significantly, both physical and magical. If you deceive, drop a JitB, deceive-crit, autoattack, JitB starts firing, then throw your shiv, that's at least 5-7 hits within the Exhaust window, every one of which will have significantly increased damage that will easily overcome the slight boost you get from Ignite (and if you really still want ignite, drop flash, as you already have a Flash in Deceive).
With this in mind, I would change your masteries as such: -3 Archmage's Savvy, -1 Burning Embers, +1 Deadliness, +1 Cripple, +2 whatever the +Attack Speed tier 2 mastery is called (I forget). The slightly improved attack rate only serves to add to your DPS output, as does the critical chance, while the tiny amount of AP that Archmage's gives basically does nothing.

Carleton 12-16-2009 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildfire393 (Hozzászólás 406993)
A few comments: Archmage's Savvy really isn't worthwhile as a Mastery (it gives a grand total of 10 AP at level 18), and Burning Embers is fairly weak as well (it's only bonus is another 10 AP, and this is only after you've cast Embers. Since you usually want to be using Embers as the final hit of your combo, this ends up doing very little). Ignite in general is a fairly weak spell. I would strongly suggest going with Exhaust instead. It makes it so that the enemy cannot really escape your gank attempts or stops them from ganking you (especially if they are physical), and with the improved mastery, it increases your damage output on them significantly, both physical and magical. If you deceive, drop a JitB, deceive-crit, autoattack, JitB starts firing, then throw your shiv, that's at least 5-7 hits within the Exhaust window, every one of which will have significantly increased damage that will easily overcome the slight boost you get from Ignite (and if you really still want ignite, drop flash, as you already have a Flash in Deceive).
With this in mind, I would change your masteries as such: -3 Archmage's Savvy, -1 Burning Embers, +1 Deadliness, +1 Cripple, +2 whatever the +Attack Speed tier 2 mastery is called (I forget). The slightly improved attack rate only serves to add to your DPS output, as does the critical chance, while the tiny amount of AP that Archmage's gives basically does nothing.

It's late and I'm tired so I'll make this quick. I like your thoughts on archmage's and I'll try out deadliness instead but I have to disagree about ignite vs. exhaust for a few reasons. Ignite, at level 18, does 500 damage (50+[25*18]) which is a pretty hefty chunk of unmitigated damage. Also, it only has a 2 minute cooldown which makes it come up quite quickly. I think i'll try a game or two w/ignite/exhaust but I know I will miss flash.. One deceive is nice but two? It's pretty hard to be so far away that 2 teleports can't get you behind a wall and safe.
Thanks for your input!

Carleton 02-18-2010 02:53 PM

Bumping for feedback.

mOeeOm 02-18-2010 03:49 PM

I hate that you don't go jack in the box first and solo the golem, you can get level 2 very easily and have the buff before your lane partner even starts killing minions :P

I go ignite/rally, run to the golem camp right away place 5 jacks (you have time before they spawn, attack the golem run back let the jacks attack him drop rally and kill it, then the 2 minions, you will be at full HP and with the buff you go back to the lane at level 2 ready to murder them with the buff, you can spam shiv/jacks in the lane.

I start off with a regrowth pendant and rush philosopher stone.