League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Mac Client (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   How can I make my loading times faster? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3303890)

Owwlex 04-03-2013 11:36 PM

How can I make my loading times faster?

I have a MBP mid 2010 model and I've noticed I'm extremely slow to load the games I play, I'm always the last one to summon in and the first 10 seconds I enter the game I can't even play because the game is still loading. Once that's over though it plays great at 60 fps for the rest of the game with no real problems. Is there anything I can do to help improve this problem?

Dataslave 04-03-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owwlex (Hozzászólás 36359975)
I have a MBP mid 2010 model and I've noticed I'm extremely slow to load the games I play, I'm always the last one to summon in and the first 10 seconds I enter the game I can't even play because the game is still loading. Once that's over though it plays great at 60 fps for the rest of the game with no real problems. Is there anything I can do to help improve this problem?

Buy a SSD (Solid-state drive) and replace your hard drive with it. Your loading times will go from minutes to seconds; Its the best gaming purchase you can make for your mac.

It will be more expensive than a standard hard drive, and have a lot less storage space, but its more than worth it. You can easily fit OSX, basic productivity apps, and 2-3 reasonably sized games onto a 120gb SSD, and you'll have plenty of room on a 240gb drive at around 1.6x the price.

Owwlex 04-04-2013 01:09 PM

Where should I go to find the best price for something like this? Thanks for your response! Would upgrading my ram from 4gb to 8 not help much?

Dataslave 04-04-2013 01:20 PM

Upgrading your ram would have a minimal effect, and would mostly speed up multitasking if you have a lot of programs open. That said, ram upgrades are so cheap right now that its an option if you've got money to throw at the problem.

As for pricing, amazon is always a good first place to look at. newegg occasionally offers some good deals as well.

Your model year macbook pro doesn't support 6 gbps sata, so you can save some money grabbing an older generation 3 gbps sata one. I personally run vertex 3 drives in a few of my older macs, they work great. If you want the absolute best performer in this generation, your best bet is probably the samsung 840. Try anandtech for some solid benchmarks.

Owwlex 04-06-2013 12:17 AM

We looking at something like this then? http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electr.../dp/B009NB8WRU

Constantinius 04-12-2013 03:35 PM

Hey Owwlex/Dataslave I just wanted to hop onto this question and double check and see if the Mac LoL devs were looking into this at all. I realize an SSD would make the game load faster, but at the same time, the loading period is still ridiculously long for this game... I play plenty of other games which are much more graphic intensive (GW2 for example) which load twice, three times as fast LoL takes to load a game... I'm not a software expert, but I feel like there's a lot more going on in a game like GW2 for the system to load (the textures, models, environment, etc.) than in LoL. Now, I of course realize that LoL Mac is still in beta, that's not why I'm not clamoring for Riot to "Fix this now! Omg how could you not fix this problem?!?!?" I just wanted to know if anyone "higher up" was looking into the situation/working on some improvements...

Thanks for all you guys do!

djcrouton 04-15-2013 02:41 PM

A SSD would definitely help but it'll load pretty fast with a quick standard hard drive as well. I'm using a 2008 MBP and it loads fine. My ram's maxed at 8gb and I swapped the hard drive out for a 500 GB WD Scorpio Black maybe a year ago or more for really cheap. It won't be as fast as a SSD but does the trick for much less money. Mine typically loads as one of the fastest going into games.

IIIIifishIIIIII 04-15-2013 08:34 PM

game load speed still take long when i have SSD on my mac, 420GB kingston SSD + 16 GB RAM.
if i use bootcamp to play LoL, the load speed is faster then LoL Mac beta

tankifriend 06-17-2013 06:40 PM

use samsung 840 pro or ocz vecotor (the vector is faster loading)

billbrehe 11-02-2013 02:03 PM

hey i have a 2007 mac with 10.6.8 and when i load league while it does load maybe a little slower than my pc it runs at a constant 1 fps for some reason now i have not turned down the graphics and all that good stuff but i want to know what i would do to improve my fps while in game while also improving my load time for a decent price i understand that my mac is old but dont tell me to sell it and get a new one because i dont have that kind of money