League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   AP Support Soraka (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=32983)

FalseMyrmidon 12-06-2009 11:57 AM

[Guide] AP Support Soraka

The idea behind this build is to max out AP to increase the effectivness of Astral Blessing and Wish for burst healing followed by HP then Mana Regen so that you to have to use all the Infuses on yourself to keep going with a little bit of Cooldown Reduction later on.

You'll be giving your team less staying power to sustain a push due to lacking an Innervating Locket in exchange for a huge burst of healing to win teamfights. Since this is still a support build you won't be getting any Magic Penetration, instead focusing on AP to power up your heals. This build allows works as a decent counter to large amounts of area of effect damage (past spreading out).

Champion Abilities
Consecration (Passive)
Increases surrounding allies Magic Resistance by 16
Not a bad bonus but nothing to write home about.

Starcall (3 seconds) 42 / 54 / 66 /78 / 90 mana
Strikes nearby enemy units for 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 180 (+0.25 ability power ratio) magic damage and reduces their Magic Resistance by 8 for 8 seconds This effect stacks up to 20 times.

This is the first ability you'll be maxing out. Although it doesn't hit as hard as most nukes it's cooldown is very low so it works out to be decent overall DPS (especially if you consider that it hits multiple targets and the MR debuff). This can be combined with Soraka's autoattack early game for very effective harass.

Astral Blessing (9 seconds) 80/100/120/140/160 mana
Restores 80/135/190/255/300 (+1.0 ability power ratio) health and grants 35 bonus armor. Lasts 9 seconds.

Early game is very mana ineffecient at a 1:1 health mana ratio so you'll need to be careful about spamming it early on. Later with AP it will heal for close to 500 health.

Infuse (15 seconds) 0 mana
If cast on an allied champion, restores 50 / 100 / 150 / 200 / 250 Mana.
If cast on an enemy champion, silences them for 1 / 1.5 / 2 / 2.5 / 3 second(s) and deals 50 / 100 / 150 / 200 / 250 (+0.6 ability power ratio) magic damage.

I'd recommend getting Rank 2 by level 5 or 6 at the latest due to the fact that Rank 2 essentially doubles the efficiency of Infuse. When laning and not in a team fight you'll generally want to use it every cooldown to top off either yourself or your allies. If you must choose between between multiple allies low on mana I'd recommend going for the physical DPS carry with 500 mana over the DPS caster with 2500 mana since the 250 mana max rank Infuse gives will go a lot farther on a physical DPS than a caster.

Wish (120/90/60 seconds) 250 / 350 / 450 mana
Instantly restores 250 / 400 / 550 (+2.0 ability power ratio) health to all allied champions.

The reason you stack AP. With a couple of AP items this will heal over 800 health at level 3. Popping Wish+Heal and Astral Blessing on whoever is getting focuse can easily put your whole team at full health. Generally I try to save it for a team fight late game although if it's use will save the life of a single fleeing ally it is still worth using. When in a team fight situation I pop it either when one person is getting focused low or when several members of my team are moderately low (think about half health). Can also be used to help sustain a push if the enemy team is weak.

Mastery Build
I personally run a standard 9/0/21 mastery build for the reduced cooldowns.

Summoner Spells

Heal - Highly recommended for this build since you can stack it on top of Wish to heal over 1000 health on your whole team late game.
Teleport - Extremely useful. Can be used to teleport around the map and help your allies or stop pushes. In early laning it allows you to blue pill back to base and be back in seconds.
Clairvoyance - A support spell for a support Champion. It's a huge boon to your team to have at least one of these.

Skill Build
Basic skill build is to max Starcall followed by Infuse. As soon as you decide that you need the heal from Astral Blessing then pick that up next level then continue with the pattern. When to get Wish is generally a judgement call as it doesn't offer the huge power boost at level 6 that other champions' ultimates do. If getting it early will save either your life or the life of one of your teammates it's worth it. If you can hold off on getting it then the extra mana from Infuse is nice.

1. Starcall 1
2. Infuse 2
3. Starcall 2
4. Infuse 2
5. Starcall 3
6. Astral Blessing 1 (if you haven't gotten it already)
7. Starcall 4
8. Wish 1
9. Starcall 5
10. Infuse 3
11. Wish 2
12. Infuse 4
13. Infuse 5
14. Astral Blessing 2
15. Astral Blessing 3
16. Wish 3
17. Astral Blessing 4
18. Astral Blessing 5

Core Item Build
Mana Manipulator
Ruby Crystal (or Boots of Speed if you're at shop and can't afford Ruby Crystal)
Boots of Speed (or Ruby Crystal if you got Boots last time)
Sapphire Crystal
Catalyst the Protector
Mercury Treads (or Boots of Swiftness if they have little to no CC)
Blasting Wand
Rod of Ages
Rylai's Scepter (make a judgement call about whether to go for the AP parts or the HP partfirst)
Giant's Belt
Soul Shroud

Usually the game will be over before you finish the Rylai's Scepter.

Other items that aren't bad:
Deathfire Grasp - Gives AP, Mana Regen and Cooldown Reduction which are all things Soraka needs. This build is not focused on doing damage however and lacks Magic Pen which the active on Deathfire Grasp is affected by.
Tear of the Godess - Most effective for Champions that spam spells a lot which Soraka does. However it's also most effective taken early which requires you to forgo either an early Mana Manipulator or Catalyst when they're most effective.
Archangel's Staff - Not a bad item but unfortunately is a very squishy item that lacks HP due to Tear of the Godess.
Chalice of Harmony - Easily solves your mana regen issues but lacks the aura of Mana Manipulator while slowing down the acquisition of Catalyst.

Early Laning
Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kxGQ3gWdrM. I don't care if you find her voice obnoxious, watch it anyways.

Soraka should not be solo and you don't want to lane with someone who doesn't have mana (to take advantage of the Mana Manipulator). An ideal lanemate would be someone with a stun or slow of some kind since Soraka lacks one but anyone that has mana will do. As Soraka you can usually lane pretty agressively. Whenever someone tries to get close to last hit the creeps hit them with Starcalland an autoattack. At level 1 Starcall plus an auto attack will hit for over 100 damage. If you find yourself low onhealthgo ahead and take Astral Blessing as your next skill. If your lanemate has some for of regen (Regrowth Pendant, Doran's Shield, pots) don't bother topping them off with Astral Blessing, let their purchased regen handle it. If they're very low or in danger of dieing then be sure to hit them with Astral Blessing. Keep in mind that you can use Infuse to secure a kill on someone fleeing (it hits decently hard and has longer range than Starcall) or as an offensive silence to protect yourself or your lanemate.

Mid-Late Game
Try to stay with the bulk of your allies. You are support and weak on your own. If a team fight happens try to pop Wish followed by Heal as someone is getting low and about to die or when several members of your team are decently low.

Additional Resources
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Sorak...0807e1863fdb70
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kxGQ3gWdrM

Any comments or questions are appreciated. I was going to try to put some images for the ability icons and do some fancier text formatting but it seems everything but the most basic formatting is disabled; I've tried to make it as readable as possible with the formatting available. I had also intended to try to Fraps a video of myself playing this build and upload it to Youtube but I realized I don't know enough about video encoding and the necessary codecs to use to do so.

wildfire393 12-06-2009 12:17 PM

A single rank of Starfall early is sufficient for last-hitting minions and applying the -MR debuff. You don't get much AP early, and it doesn't use AP very well, so it will never be a "nuke". Meanwhile, upping Infuse to 3 will allow you to support Astral Blessing and Starfall Spamming while occasionally having extra infuses to throw at your lane-mate or enemy.

Carom 12-06-2009 08:41 PM

There are some problems with your build. Your guide states that the build is pushing for a high level of AP to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of Soraka's Astral Blessing and Wish spells, yet you put off getting these spells to very late in the game. Now most team battles and gank squads start running around at levels 10-13 and even less in five-man premades.

Like Wildfire said, one rank in Starcall is enough for harassing and last hitting mobs. Starcall -is- the spell you put off to finish. Picture a build like this:

Astral Blessing
Infuse
Starcall
Infuse
Astral Blessing
Wish

Within those first six levels you get heavy support, the ability to keep yourself and your lanemate going with very few trips, and harassment/last hitting to keep your opponents behind in gold and experience.

Magic Penetration? Soraka has never been built around magic pen as far as I'm aware of or has had little success outside of newbie island. Starcall does apply a debuff but it's nothing to build around.

Next your items.

Either start a game with Mana Manipulator or Ruby Crystal. Also your boots should always turn into a Mercury Treads no matter what the team you are fighting, it gives you magic resist on top of the awesome bonus.
No Banshee's Veil or Aegis of the Legion? Now Banshee is an optional item but it is awesome for teams that have quite a bit of cc and nastiness to throw your way, plus a hefty amount of magic resist and health/mana. Aegis even in its more balanced state is still quite the aura to bring to team fights.

Post more later, hitting the hay. Hope what I've gibbered helps.

Echelon 12-16-2009 01:08 AM

max starcall first is a pretty fun build, and can be effective, but if one is going full support the other two spells would take precedence... maxing starcall is by no means a noob idea though, it can do extremely good harrassment on the enemy, (watch the video posted in the guide to see it in action)

Ive never enjoyed getting aegis on soraka, though I do it begrudingly; usually if my team tank has it, I can just go for rylai's instead, with the multi hit slow on starcall being extremely useful. All in all, I think a case can be made for either skill build, depending on how aggresive one is being, yeah soraka CAN be aggresive, somewhat.

sierskan 01-25-2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carom (Hozzászólás 368025)
There are some problems with your build. Your guide states that the build is pushing for a high level of AP to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of Soraka's Astral Blessing and Wish spells, yet you put off getting these spells to very late in the game. Now most team battles and gank squads start running around at levels 10-13 and even less in five-man premades.

Like Wildfire said, one rank in Starcall is enough for harassing and last hitting mobs. Starcall -is- the spell you put off to finish. Picture a build like this:

Astral Blessing
Infuse
Starcall
Infuse
Astral Blessing
Wish

Within those first six levels you get heavy support, the ability to keep yourself and your lanemate going with very few trips, and harassment/last hitting to keep your opponents behind in gold and experience.

Magic Penetration? Soraka has never been built around magic pen as far as I'm aware of or has had little success outside of newbie island. Starcall does apply a debuff but it's nothing to build around.

Next your items.

Either start a game with Mana Manipulator or Ruby Crystal. Also your boots should always turn into a Mercury Treads no matter what the team you are fighting, it gives you magic resist on top of the awesome bonus.
No Banshee's Veil or Aegis of the Legion? Now Banshee is an optional item but it is awesome for teams that have quite a bit of cc and nastiness to throw your way, plus a hefty amount of magic resist and health/mana. Aegis even in its more balanced state is still quite the aura to bring to team fights.

Post more later, hitting the hay. Hope what I've gibbered helps.

First of all there are plenty of reasons why you should try and max starfall before lvl 10 .

For once, lvl 1 starfall is NOT i repeat NOT enough to last hit. Sure it's range is quite awesome aswell as her normal hit but it isn't enough. I've played soraka 15-20 games and laning with someone like nunu, or someone with slow getting high starfall early with lvl 2-3 infuse and lvl 1 astral blessing is almost guaranteed a quite extreme harassment.
I've almost always been able to push my lane enemies off using the same strategy as the soraka in the Zoning vid posted in this vid . You might have one or two casualites but you always push them hard. As long as you don't make any major mistakes like autofollowing enemies with autoattacks and such, you do fine. ( it simply requires some skill, not much just some )

Your however correct about the magic penetration, soraka should aim for health by lvl and defense runes. You are also correct about mercury threads and aegis of the legion, even though both aegis of the legion and bashee's can be mid-late game items.

Soraka should start laning with someone that has abit higher survivability chance then other characters though, i atleast strongly suggest this. I believe that his high-ap guide is quite correct by skilling astral blessing and wish mid-late game.

You might consider me a nobody, but i consider myself to have enough experience with soraka to know what im talking about.

Feel free to flame >,<

Senlis 03-08-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierskan (Hozzászólás 568960)
First of all there are plenty of reasons why you should try and max starfall before lvl 10 .

For once, lvl 1 starfall is NOT i repeat NOT enough to last hit. Sure it's range is quite awesome aswell as her normal hit but it isn't enough. I've played soraka 15-20 games and laning with someone like nunu, or someone with slow getting high starfall early with lvl 2-3 infuse and lvl 1 astral blessing is almost guaranteed a quite extreme harassment.
I've almost always been able to push my lane enemies off using the same strategy as the soraka in the Zoning vid posted in this vid . You might have one or two casualites but you always push them hard. As long as you don't make any major mistakes like autofollowing enemies with autoattacks and such, you do fine. ( it simply requires some skill, not much just some )

Your however correct about the magic penetration, soraka should aim for health by lvl and defense runes. You are also correct about mercury threads and aegis of the legion, even though both aegis of the legion and bashee's can be mid-late game items.

Soraka should start laning with someone that has abit higher survivability chance then other characters though, i atleast strongly suggest this. I believe that his high-ap guide is quite correct by skilling astral blessing and wish mid-late game.

You might consider me a nobody, but i consider myself to have enough experience with soraka to know what im talking about.

Feel free to flame >,<

He was just offering his opinion on your build and you are really harsh and defensive.

MerriBallz 05-13-2010 09:57 PM

Agressive AP

yes soraka can dominate. I agree with ur emphasis on the ROA and treads, but honestly soulstealer as her first item is the ****. If you know sorakas capabilties, ur spells are so powerful and make your team BOMB. Go for it!

Neelru 05-13-2010 11:45 PM

I don't understand why people never get meja soulstealer on Soraka. With the new assist system, Soraka can get a crazy number of assists with her heals. Abuse it! I usually end a game with a 1/2/26. Sure, it's very hard to get 20 stacks in a single game, but 10 stacks combined with another 1-2 AP items is more than enough for her. You can then get the CD reduction items (Glacial Shroud etc) to make the most of Astral Blessing and Wish.

Pyrolistical 05-14-2010 09:04 AM

I stopped reading at maxing out starfall first

Empyron 05-18-2010 07:36 AM

What about Randuin's on her? CD reduction, health, armor?