League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   I'm a noob! (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3151851)

TannerLiftGG 02-21-2013 10:31 AM

I'm a noob!

Hi Guys,
I am really new to LoL and MOBAs in general but wanted to learn how to play. I decided to choose Garen as my first Champion to learn. I chose him because I read that he was very easy to play, had a simple button combo that would get easy kills and was very difficult to kill. I figured this would be good for a player like me so that I wouldn't feed the other team and I would be able to stay alive for long enough stretches to actually learn the mechanics of the game. I have had a blast so far with Garen and I am having a lot of fun with the game. However, I am finding through more research that Garen isn't a very good champion. So, I am asking if someone could recommend a champion with similar characteristics to Garen that would be considered good, haha! Thanks in advance for the help and go easy on me in the comments :)

7StarMantis 02-21-2013 10:41 AM

Not sure why you say he isn't good, Garen can be pretty effective. What research is telling you he isn't?

The thing is, champions can be easier or harder, skill wise, but I hesitate to find many of them "good" or "bad". Sure there are a few which can be effective with less effort, but the others that require more skill can give significant rewards.

The key is still to learn the rest of the game (a phase I'm still in by quite a bit). You don't only need to know your champion, but others, since you need to know what to expect from your opponent -- that whole Sun Tzu "know your opponent and know yourself" thing. Also, a general idea of strategy, game mechanics, etc. will help out greatly.

TannerLiftGG 02-21-2013 10:51 AM

To answer your question: I have been trying to find gameplays by Pros, which seem to be nonexitent. When trying to find said gameplays I have seen numerous comments like "There is a reason no pro plays Garen", or "There are better champions than Garen that fill the same role". I have also read that he is not very good in the late game because his spells don't do things to help his team and his only ability to help his team is to tank damage.

Thanks for the advice on learning the game overall before trying to pick a champion. I think that will help a lot.

ROKAF JE 02-21-2013 10:55 AM

You've read all this - but you still have fun with him, and most likely won't be going pro.

Why not keeping playing him? He's crazy strong right up into Gold play.

I like alot of Demacians.
Lux
Xin
Jarvan
Garen
Sona

TannerLiftGG 02-21-2013 12:02 PM

I definitely will not be going pro, haha! I am having a hard enough time learning what the characters are capable of doing at this point. I just play games for fun.

I was just hoping there were some characters like him that are more popular so that I could watch gameplays with commentary to learn a little faster.

angryWelchMan 02-21-2013 01:09 PM

If you want to see what the pros are playing lolChampSeries on youtube for game play and lolesport.com to just see the stats on who plays what

I would play champs that are on free week and look cool to you (like shen this week and maybe galio or trundle) and just see who you like. One game doesn't take much time and will let you know if you like them

TannerLiftGG 02-21-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angryWelchMan (Hozzászólás 34905414)
If you want to see what the pros are playing lolChampSeries on youtube for game play and lolesport.com to just see the stats on who plays what

I would play champs that are on free week and look cool to you (like shen this week and maybe galio or trundle) and just see who you like. One game doesn't take much time and will let you know if you like them

Thanks for the advice!

FrazzledMelon 02-21-2013 01:48 PM

Garen is actually quite strong, fun, and easy to play. An excellent champion for leveling to Summoner Lvl 30. Before you outgrow him, you'll have plenty of ideas on who else you want to play.

Demacry 02-21-2013 01:49 PM

When I first started playing this game I almost quit until I played my first game as shyvana. I didn't even do very well but she shares those characteristics of being naturally tough and still a damage dealer. She has a ton of build variety potential so you could play her completely differently every game if you want. And nothing (nothing!) in this game has come close to making me feel as badass as I did the first time I turned into a dragon.

TannerLiftGG 02-21-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demacry (Hozzászólás 34906761)
When I first started playing this game I almost quit until I played my first game as shyvana. I didn't even do very well but she shares those characteristics of being naturally tough and still a damage dealer. She has a ton of build variety potential so you could play her completely differently every game if you want. And nothing (nothing!) in this game has come close to making me feel as badass as I did the first time I turned into a dragon.

She turns into a Dragon? Yep, I'll try her out, haha!