League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Competitive Events (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   High School eSports Team (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2921030)

Loammi 12-19-2012 01:08 PM

High School eSports Team

Greetings Summoners.

I just posted the following as a reply to another thread, and I thought I might repost it as a new thread in case anyone is interested.

ctrl-c, ctrl-v

I am the "coach" for the MVHS eSports team. We are a team from Mount Vernon High School in Washington. We are using competitive LoL playing to teach teamwork, sportsmanship, and online etiquette. We meet once per week in the school computer lab to practice then have tournaments every once in a while. About 30 students show up per week with skill levels ranging between new players and ranked players with 1800+ wins. We were even able to muster up the minimum 8 teams to have a 3v3 bracketed tournament. Riot approved this as a prized event and provided over $150 of RP for the tournament.

We would love nothing more than to organize with other high schools for competition. If you are interested in what we have been doing, you can contact us via facebook at www.facebook.com/MVHSeSports or email me at MVHSGamingClub@gmail.com. If you are interested in setting up an organized team at your school, find a staff member that is willing to be your advisor and have them contact us. Our program is still in its infancy and we would love to share what we have learned to help others get off to a good start.

Lightning Zebra 12-19-2012 02:47 PM

This is really awesome, I wish my high school had something like this!

Loammi 12-19-2012 03:22 PM

The team was formed because 3 students thought it would be a cool thing to have. They approached me and asked if I would be willing to be their advisor. It took one phone call to our district tech department to get this started. Most schools have computers that can run LoL at medium to high settings. Since League of Legends is free to play, the only thing we needed was space.

Point of this is, don't just wish your school had this. Make it happen.

Magoffice 12-19-2012 04:35 PM

is this in mount vernon NJ

Loammi 12-19-2012 05:24 PM

We are located in Washington.

Magoffice 12-21-2012 07:47 PM

Yeah i wish my school had something like this

Loammi 12-25-2012 09:14 AM

Shameless self promoting bump.

XxPoN3DxX 12-28-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loammi (Hozzászólás 32623118)
Greetings Summoners.

I just posted the following as a reply to another thread, and I thought I might repost it as a new thread in case anyone is interested.

ctrl-c, ctrl-v

I am the "coach" for the MVHS eSports team. We are a team from Mount Vernon High School in Washington. We are using competitive LoL playing to teach teamwork, sportsmanship, and online etiquette. We meet once per week in the school computer lab to practice then have tournaments every once in a while. About 30 students show up per week with skill levels ranging between new players and ranked players with 1800+ wins. We were even able to muster up the minimum 8 teams to have a 3v3 bracketed tournament. Riot approved this as a prized event and provided over $150 of RP for the tournament.

We would love nothing more than to organize with other high schools for competition. If you are interested in what we have been doing, you can contact us via facebook at www.facebook.com/MVHSeSports or email me at MVHSGamingClub@gmail.com. If you are interested in setting up an organized team at your school, find a staff member that is willing to be your advisor and have them contact us. Our program is still in its infancy and we would love to share what we have learned to help others get off to a good start.

Hello, i am the event promoter for World Wide Gaming, and we may be able to help with you're tournament starting. and given your success we may add you to our circuit of tournaments. send me a message in game to talk

Zorohon 12-29-2012 10:29 PM

Loammi, what you are doing is an incredible thing. I am out of High School now but I can guarantee you that I would certainly be a part of something like this if I were still there. Can you imagine what something like this could evolve into if there is enough support for it across a wide variety of High Schools?

There is the Football team, our Soccer team, the Basketball team.. and oh - yeah, our LoL team.

EnmaDaiO 12-30-2012 03:29 PM

I'm from Skyline High School.
You've probably heard of us.
Aww man you guys are so lucky, i doubt we'll ever get a chance to do something like that here.