League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   @Morello, can you explain the design philosophy used for nerfing champions? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2913826)

chaser676 12-17-2012 02:17 PM

@Morello, can you explain the design philosophy used for nerfing champions?
 
I think many of us can agree that when a champion needs significant nerfs, the design team goes a tad overboard with the nerf bat. Im not saying Diana or Rengar are balanced or UP now, but their winrates have drastically dropped. Can you explain why you favor big nerfs the patch after a champ sees heavy tourney use instead of gradual changes?

chaser676 12-17-2012 02:20 PM

Forums move fast

Morello 12-17-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaser676 (Hozzászólás 32543732)
I think many of us can agree that when a champion needs significant nerfs, the design team goes a tad overboard with the nerf bat. Im not saying Diana or Rengar are balanced or UP now, but their winrates have drastically dropped. Can you explain why you favor big nerfs the patch after a champ sees heavy tourney use instead of gradual changes?

It depends on the situation and certainty - gradual changes are good for easing a character towards a more nerfed state, while drastic or faster nerfs are needed to solve more severe problems that are having a big impact. This is important because if a few champions are really out of line, they disallow use of any champions who compete with them for a slot on a team.

For Diana and Rengar, I'll be honest - I can't really comment in an informed manner here. The "appropriate force" approach is the overarching balance philosophy. A philosophy won't speak to accuracy (as that lies in execution details), but that's what we're trying to do at least.

Additionally, some of the Diana stuff might have been to fill in for the nerf we'd really like to do but is much tougher; slowing Q's missile speed. I think that would exemplify good Diana gameplay and create more counterplay.

Sulale 12-17-2012 02:23 PM

In my opinion I think sometimes the department that does the nerfs goes overboard sometimes.

chaser676 12-17-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morello (Hozzászólás 32543918)
It depends on the situation and certainty - gradual changes are good for easing a character towards a more nerfed state, while drastic or faster nerfs are needed to solve more severe problems that are having a big impact. This is important because if a few champions are really out of line, they disallow use of any champions who compete with them for a slot on a team.

For Diana and Rengar, I'll be honest - I can't really comment in an informed manner here. The "appropriate force" approach is the overarching balance philosophy. A philosophy won't speak to accuracy (as that lies in execution details), but that's what we're trying to do at least.

Fair enough. Thanks for the quick response

Did that happen 12-17-2012 02:24 PM

man rengar was god mode before the nerf. I agree with that one for sure. I would start long sword with 3 hp pots and pretty much 2 shot 2 people in bot lane every game over and over due to is insane amount of damage he puts outs. Plus if they come into fight me in the bush they are 100% screwed now. I can still do it for the most part he just lots a little bit of power he still just straight up a a beast in the lane. He not that great team fighter tho.

Tarinis 12-17-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morello (Hozzászólás 32543918)
It depends on the situation and certainty - gradual changes are good for easing a character towards a more nerfed state, while drastic or faster nerfs are needed to solve more severe problems that are having a big impact. This is important because if a few champions are really out of line, they disallow use of any champions who compete with them for a slot on a team.

For Diana and Rengar, I'll be honest - I can't really comment in an informed manner here. The "appropriate force" approach is the overarching balance philosophy. A philosophy won't speak to accuracy (as that lies in execution details), but that's what we're trying to do at least.

Additionally, some of the Diana stuff might have been to fill in for the nerf we'd really like to do but is much tougher; slowing Q's missile speed. I think that would exemplify good Diana gameplay and create more counterplay.

Morello, please give us an update on Heimerdinger. He is my favorite hero :(

zerodahero 12-17-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morello (Hozzászólás 32543918)
It depends on the situation and certainty - gradual changes are good for easing a character towards a more nerfed state, while drastic or faster nerfs are needed to solve more severe problems that are having a big impact. This is important because if a few champions are really out of line, they disallow use of any champions who compete with them for a slot on a team.

For Diana and Rengar, I'll be honest - I can't really comment in an informed manner here. The "appropriate force" approach is the overarching balance philosophy. A philosophy won't speak to accuracy (as that lies in execution details), but that's what we're trying to do at least.

Additionally, some of the Diana stuff might have been to fill in for the nerf we'd really like to do but is much tougher; slowing Q's missile speed. I think that would exemplify good Diana gameplay and create more counterplay.

Morello what about naut? He went from being used just as much as mundo/skarner/mao then you guys nerfed him and he was never heard from again?

KawaiiSenpaiDesu 12-17-2012 02:27 PM

DIana, Black Cleaver, Rengar, Shaco, global ults.

Riots strategy is that sweeping nerfs are better than tweaks. Nerf it into the ground, then slowly bring it back up with minor tweaks (I assume Volibear will get tiny buffs a little at a time because of how strong he was pre-megasupernerfville).

People that love champions or play them enough will be able to do well regardless of how much their kit is hurt. I have seen Karmas,Trundles, and heimerdingers DOMINATE, but it always makes me think - what if they were playing Karthas or Ezreal instead of the worse champ.

DONGLORD420 12-17-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ělliad (Hozzászólás 32544098)
DIana, Black Cleaver, Rengar, Shaco, global ults.

Riots strategy is that sweeping nerfs are better than tweaks. Nerf it into the ground, then slowly bring it back up with minor tweaks (I assume Volibear will get tiny buffs a little at a time because of how strong he was pre-megasupernerfville).

People that love champions or play them enough will be able to do well regardless of how much their kit is hurt. I have seen Karmas,Trundles, and heimerdingers DOMINATE, but it always makes me think - what if they were playing Karthas or Ezreal instead of the worse champ.

for awhile they seemed to be using small nerfs over several patches until this one where they just completely nuked 2 heroes from orbit.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:19 AM.


(c) 2008 Riot Games Inc