League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [TT] Sona: Support, Speed and Survivability. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=287731)

Knub 10-11-2010 02:31 PM

[TT] Sona: Support, Speed and Survivability.

You don’t see many Twisted Treeline guides and people often say that X hero is better in 5s than 3s. Any hero with an aoe will be better in 5s but without further ado, here is my guide to rocking Sona in 3v3s.

Warning:
If your team is lacking a strong dps carry or tank, it’s not recommended to play Sona since you really need to support your carries for optimal performance. Also, Sona isn’t the best hero to use in a solo lane when there is a jungler because you get can be ganked pretty easily. Just be careful.

Summoner Spells:
Flash and Clairvoyance
Flash is incredibly helpful for jumping over walls to escape or for dodging Ash Arrow or Blitz hook when you are too slow to manually dodge it. Flash can also be used aggressively to jump over a wall to chase an enemy and to get within range for your Power Chord/Hymn of Valor burst combo.
With the talent, Clairvoyance is only a 40 second cooldown. It’s important to use this any time it’s available. Cast it about 3-5 seconds into the game at the enemy fountain to see what items they are buying and how fast they are moving to the mid bush for first blood. If your ward disappeared at Lizard, use it there. If you have a ward, check left and right creep packs. If your ward disappeared at Dragon, use it there. If you have a ward, cast it a bit higher to catch junglers getting buffs.

Masteries:
First, I go 9/0/21 to support my allies.
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...-0-0-3-1-3-1-1

I make sure to get mana regen and cooldown reduction. The mana regen is extremely important for early game as the cooldown reduction is best for end game. With a bit of regen, you can stay in your lane for long periods of time, this is important for the start of the game and for Twisted Treeline games.

Runes:
Most people won’t agree with my rune choice but it works for me so I continue to use it. In Twisted Treeline, it’s easy to get ganked if you’re not careful so I get hp Seals and Quints, cooldown reduction per level Glyphs and magic penetration Marks.
Alternative: Mana regen Seals and movespeed Quints.
I feel that the bonus AP instead of health isn’t worth it because the AP means nothing when you’re dead. The longer you stay alive, the longer you can spam your songs.

Abilities:
Her spells for any new Sona players wanting to learn her:

Quote:

(Innate): After casting 3 spells, Sona's next attack deals extra 24 (+12 per level) magic damage. Additionally, Sona's Auras persist for over 3 seconds after deactivating and set off a 2 second global cooldown.
Hymn of Valor(Stance) - Activation: Sona plays the Hymn of Valor, dealing 70/120/170/220/270 (+.6 AP) damage to the nearest two enemy champions or monsters.Passive Aura: Grants nearby allied champions 8/11/13/17/20 bonus attack damage and ability power.
Cooldown: 7 seconds
Area of Effect: 700
Cost: 55/60/65/70/75 Mana

Aria of Perseverance
(Stance) - Passive Aura: Sona plays the Aria of Perseverance, healing herself and a nearby wounded ally for 40/65/90/115/140 (+.9) health.
Passive Aura: Grants nearby allied champions 8/11/13/17/20 bonus armor and magic resistance.
Area of Effect: 900

Song of Celerity
(Stance) - Activation: Sona plays the Song of Celerity, granting nearby allied champions 8/11/13/17/20% bonus movement speed for 1.5 seconds.Passive Aura: Grants nearby allied champions 8/11/14/17/20 bonus movement speed.
Area of Effect: 850

Crescendo (Active): Sona plays her ultimate chord, forcing enemy champions to dance and take 150/250/350 (+.7 AP) magic damage over 1.5 seconds.
Range: 1100
Cooldown: 160/140/120 seconds
Cost: 100 / 150 / 200 Mana
I get Q, then W, then E. After I have 1 of each spell I prioritize Q, W, then E with her ult always being grabbed at 6, 11 and 16.
This gives you the burst to harass and the healing to stay in your lane. Make sure you pace your spells according to your regen. If you Q too much then you’ll run out of mana and can’t heal when they come for you.

Items:
Alright, let’s talk about items. If you’re taking the bottom lane with a partner (which you should), then buy a Meki Pendant and 1 hp pot and 1 mana pot. Stay in the lane long enough to get 1030 gold (1680 if you want Swiftness) then port to town and buy your Tears, boots and a ward for mid. If you happen to die before then, buy what you can but the ward for mid is a must. After I get my Tears, I get Boots of Swiftness. Since you are supporting and are squishy, their team will rush to kill you so you need to hang back and kite them while your team kills them. Next up is Rabadon's Deathcap, buy the Needlessly Large Rod first. You should have at least 250 AP by now. Upgrade your Tears into Archangel’s Staff. The game should be over by the time you have those 3 items but if it goes on any longer, the next 3 items you get are situational. If they have a tank you guys can’t kill, go Deathfire. If you need more burst/speed, get Lichbane (Even a Sheen is great on her.) If you want more AP/survivability then get Zhonya’s. If you’re facing hard hitting melee carries like Trynd, get a Frozen Heart. For nasty nukers, get Banshee's. The defensive items with mana work great with Archangel's since you still get AP from them.

Playing as Sona:
Here are some basic techniques to use while playing Sona.

Starting off:
Get your Q spell and cast it immediately to begin charging your Power Chord. At about 3-5 seconds into the game, cast Clairvoyance at their fountain. This shows you which items they purchased, if they are on their way to bottom for first blood and who has the least amount of hp. Buy your Meki Pendant, 1 hp pot and 1 mana pot. Decide on your focus target and cast your Q two more times to activate Power Chord before heading to the bottom bush. If you attempt first blood at bottom with your team, keep your distance but nuke the low hp focus target with Power Chord and Hymn. If they are getting away with 60 hp, you can always Flash closer and Hymn for the kill. If possible, let your carry get first blood. If your team managed to get first blood, port back to base and buy a ward with your gold. Place the ward by Lizard and begin the laning process.

Laning:
Know that she is great at last hitting and harassing. Try to always pay attention to her Power Chord and use it to harass your enemies as well as getting within range to Q and run out. If you happen to get nuked, just heal back up and continue last hitting. Her Q is also very useful for last hitting if you can afford it. Don’t be rude and keep creep ks’ing with your Q if your carry is trying to get money, too. After all, your job is to support your team. You may be wondering, “How can I support my team without money?” Well, you will get plenty of assist gold and you can free farm while their team is aced. Constantly getting Dragon will give your team a nice chunk of change, too.

Don’t Kill Steal:
Sona is the KS Queen because of her power chord and Hymn of Valor. Try really, really hard not to KS hero kills from your carry. You depend on him/her for killing as much as he/she depends on you for support. After Archangel's Staff, you will almost never run out of mana so spam away to keep Power Chord available as often as you can.

Time your songs:
When an ally is being attacked, learn when you should heal and when you should speed buff. If the attacking enemy is close to dying, maybe even a Q/PC combo KS will save him. Always try to have your Ult ready for times like when Nunu ults. If Nunu is on your team, this will keep them inside the aoe. If Nunu is on the opposing team, this can be used to interrupt him. Feel free to Flash closer to an enemy and Ult if you think that the 1.5 second disable is enough for you and your partner to get a kill.

*New!* Debuffs from Power Chord:
The new Power Chord bonuses require you to be in the given stance when the chord is released.
Valor - This chord now deals extra damage. Use this on their squishy!
Perseverance - This chord now reduces the enemy's damage output by 20%. Use this on their hardest hitting carry.
Celerity - This chord now reduces the enemy's movespeed by 40% for 2 seconds. This is a high amount of movespeed reduction that should be used to chase down running enemies.

End game:
Spam all of your spells constantly, especially E when traveling between lanes and W whenever allies are nearby. You will almost never run out of mana once you have your Archangel’s Staff.

I hope you find this guide useful. If I am missing any information or if anybody has any questions, feel free to contact me.

EDIT: With the removal of Innervating Locket and Zhonya's Ring, I get my Tears first then Rabadon's Deathcap and then finish Archangels. It's very unfortunate that her bread and butter item was removed.

Sububuduh 10-11-2010 02:34 PM

I think she's ideal for 3v3, as her Q becomes a more viable nuke in 3v3 team fights. Her runspeed buff is more ideal since there is less distance (typically) to travel between turret safe-zones. I find her ult to be slightly less valuable, but overall, I always seem to have stronger outcomes with Sona in 3's than I do in 5's. Plus I can build her to a more forgiving and flexible build, depending on team composition and farming power.

LoveKittenFight 10-28-2010 12:00 AM

This is great, I play Sona in 3's all the time ( I prefer to play 3's). I hadn't read this but this is almost exactly what I came up with, glad I'm apparently not completely nuts. Good job and Thanks.

I will say that I stopped getting Arcangel's and started buying Mejai's. I rarely run out of mana with just the Locket and kiting gets you stacks very easily even off of assists. I'm still working on an aggressive Sona build. :D

Knub 11-08-2010 10:24 AM

See, Mejai's is too risky for me because if they have any hero with a gap closer, which they often do, like Tryndamere, then he'll hop right on top of me and kill me.

Lord of Asia 11-12-2010 11:16 AM

I liked the Guide, some good info.
Buy you don't buy skills. x]
Unless the leveling points are a form of currency...

Knub 03-05-2011 08:25 AM

Edited my post since many items have changed and new items have been implemented.

Llian 04-28-2011 01:30 AM

Just tried Sona on TT. Man did I get raged at. "You nub. Sona is **** in TT". Well. Guess who carried. Might not have had the most kills, but guess who tanked every turret, kept Jax up so we could ace them during full team fights?

Sona is getting a dedicated rune page now. She rocks.