League of Legends Community
1234511 ... 30

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   @Zileas - Counter Play (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2824295)

ImpossibleGT 11-21-2012 02:12 AM

@Zileas - Counter Play

Zileas, why would you fail to mention that your ideas were the focus of this week's Extra Credits? Doing cool things and not even telling us? That's just not right.

DeathByWaffle 11-21-2012 02:32 AM

Oh wow. Way to go Zileas

SavageMinnow 11-21-2012 02:49 AM

Oh wow. I watched all that earlier today and totally missed that it was Zileas who come up with it. I even thought at the time "Wasn't there a Rioter on the forums saying a lot of stuff like this?" I think it might have been Morello that I'd be thinking of at the time, though, not sure. I imagine the idea is part of the staff's decision making process, not just one guy's idea.

In any case, way to go Zileas.

ImpossibleGT 11-21-2012 06:54 AM

Bump and run.

Rakaydos 11-21-2012 07:41 AM

So, hypothetically, how would you measure counterplay?

Well, for a given ability, wouldnt you need to break it down into how much fun it is to use, versus how much opportunity to punish someone who tries to use it poorly?

Let's look at the classic "Anti fun" examples. I think it's the Pandaren Monk who, with the right items, can chainstun/fear/snare/sheep/whatever a single opponent for a full minute- far more than nessisary, and WAY toxic to the person it's being used on.

The guy with the ult that punishes moving has the appearance of counterplay, (just stand still and take his combo!) but as Zileas has said, this is a "False Choice"- Anything you do is wrong, so there is no counterplay, only a choice of punishments.

And the infamus Invoker, who in his original form had no less than 27 spells (he's been since nerfed to "only" 9 or so, I think) but a good player only ever uses the 2-3 most overpowered of them. "Burden of Knowlege" is the opponent's need to learn counterplay for 9 different spells just to play against them- Xypherous has said much on this topic.
But the ability for a champion with that many options to have an answer for everything itself reduces counterplay, because he has an answer to your answer, and an answer to anything you would try next- a less obvous but no less real example of False Choice, where there is no right answers.

In Lol, you can tell a newbie "That's Karthas. If you ever get low HP, he can kill you from across the map, so go back if you get below half life. If you kill him, get away from the body until he falls over."
"That's Katarina. Do you have a stun?When she starts spinning, hit her with it."
"That's Kogmaw. watch out for stuff falling from the sky, and when he dies, his body will run after you and explode. Dodge them"

It's champs like Darious, where the fun of killstealing a penta outweigh the counterplay (ooh, I popped Barrier! your ult is on cooldown! ...oh wait I died) that we get "toxic" gameplay.

Zileas 11-21-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackalHalfdragon (Hozzászólás 31671876)
So, hypothetically, how would you measure counterplay?

Gradually, and often subjectively :)

Quote:

Well, for a given ability, wouldnt you need to break it down into how much fun it is to use, versus how much opportunity to punish someone who tries to use it poorly?
We often apply mental frameworks around this. For example, we ask, "What are the valid responses you can make?", and then in testing, "are they properly effective?" and make changes. Sometimes, you can do a very simple shift to enhance the strategic depth of the ability by adding a limitation, or adding a success condition. For example, Dark Binding is BETTER for having the minion collision case.

Quote:

And the infamus Invoker, who in his original form had no less than 27 spells (he's been since nerfed to "only" 9 or so, I think) but a good player only ever uses the 2-3 most overpowered of them. "Burden of Knowlege" is the opponent's need to learn counterplay for 9 different spells just to play against them- Xypherous has said much on this topic.
But the ability for a champion with that many options to have an answer for everything itself reduces counterplay, because he has an answer to your answer, and an answer to anything you would try next- a less obvous but no less real example of False Choice, where there is no right answers.
Burden of knowledge is mostly about the idea that by improving how we sell what is going, we can improve the ability of people to begin to act strategically and really master the nuances of the game.

Quote:

It's champs like Darious, where the fun of killstealing a penta outweigh the counterplay (ooh, I popped Barrier! your ult is on cooldown! ...oh wait I died) that we get "toxic" gameplay.
Yeah, there are definitely some issues there.

One additional thing I'd add is that a lot of extreme implementations of play balance often end up gutting counterplay. For example, I'd argue that the BKB in dota is necessary for DOTA to be balanced, but comes at the cost of shredding a lot of the existing counter-play that can exist around a carry (and some additonal 'counter-counter-play') (as it implicitly counters something like 70% of abilities, many of which are CCs that you'd use to shut down an exponentially scaling character).

At a glance, it itself APPEARS to be counter-play, but it actually reduces the level of nuance and counters occurring by it's existence.

We've run into this a lot. For example, Vlad's pool runs perilously close to this at times, and very long CCs or generally very OP stuff in general can end up in this territory. Optimizing this stuff is tough, and it's a lot of give and take, and we have to ask ourselves very seriously -- does this intended counterplay work? Is this mechanic good for the game? Where does it actually make the game less interesting? Is there a better way? We want to optimize how nuanced, how deep and how competitive the game is.

Sometimes by adding a strong ability, or a strong counter, you reduce the total field of counters available, or the richness of the counters that do exist. It's scary and challenging :)

Claw of Time 11-21-2012 04:27 PM

?

Zileas 11-21-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claw of Time (Hozzászólás 31687529)
?

?

ObscureClockwork 11-21-2012 04:37 PM

wait, so darius's ult, vlad pool, and BKB remove nuances and counterplay innately?

Zileas 11-21-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavageMinnow (Hozzászólás 31667839)
Oh wow. I watched all that earlier today and totally missed that it was Zileas who come up with it. I even thought at the time "Wasn't there a Rioter on the forums saying a lot of stuff like this?" I think it might have been Morello that I'd be thinking of at the time, though, not sure. I imagine the idea is part of the staff's decision making process, not just one guy's idea.

In any case, way to go Zileas.

Thanks, though really, Portnoy and his team did an awesome job building this out.

I'm hoping I can speak on this soon.