League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   New Player Forum (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What is ELO and how do you get it? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2816540)

xAngelicDevilx 11-18-2012 07:45 PM

What is ELO and how do you get it?

I know that ELO is a ranking system, but I still don't know much about it... do you have to be on a ranked team to get ELO or just play pvp? Is it just draft pick? Wondering because eventually I'll want to try to reach this status. I'm lvl 30 with all teir 3 runes for AD and AP, but only 6 pvp wins.

Right now I'm only really any good with Teemo and Darius... sometimes twitch but I have 52 champions... wanting help learning more champs too. Thanks!

girl poison 11-18-2012 08:07 PM

It's earned in ranked PvP, Play > Classic > 5v5 and then it lists blind & draft and underneath, Ranked solo/duo queue and team queue. I've yet to play ranked as I'm only level 27 but I hear it's very, very competitive and if you're not used to playing other players (I guess you play custom games or Co-op vs. AI?) you might want to hop on a smurf and start with low-level PvP for a bit.

xAngelicDevilx 11-18-2012 08:11 PM

a smurf? Im confused... so I should create another accound and pvp from lvl 5 or so? so that every1 is new? hummm

so can you earn ELO in normal blind pick? still confused xD

TwistWrist 11-18-2012 08:17 PM

Don't make a smurf account. Waste of time.

Elo is the rating system used by matchmaking in LoL. You have an Elo rating for all the matched PvP game modes. For most game modes, your Elo is hidden. For ranked, it is shown.

Retui 11-18-2012 08:18 PM

You can get ranked ELO is 3v3s, 5v5s (solo/duo), or 5v5 teams. Ranked games are always draft. Ranked is a very competitive environment, so you might want to be able to play multiple champions of each role effectively.

Since you don't seem to have much PvP experience, based off the amount of wins you have, perhaps you should gain some experience through normal blind pick, then normal draft pick, and then ranked.

MercifulMolester 11-20-2012 09:54 PM

ELO system's exact numbers haven't ever been released by riot, so I can't explain everything about ELO, but essentially, you start at 1200 ELO, and your first 10 ranked matches, you will gain much more ELO than you normally would, to place you in the correct group.
You will then gain/lose ELO based on your likely chance to win a game VS if you win it or not.

Like facing a team of 2000 ELO players, when your team is ranked 1600 ELO, you have a 10% chance to win by the system's standards, and will gain massive ELO if you win, but little ELO if you lose.
On the other hand, if you are 1700 ELO, and the enemy team is 1300 ELO, you have a 90% chance to win, and will gain massive ELO if you win, and little ELO if you lose.

I think of this like lifestealing items in-game.

sihdilte 11-20-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercifulMolester (Hozzászólás 31663481)

Like facing a team of 2000 ELO players, when your team is ranked 1600 ELO, you have a 10% chance to win by the system's standards, and will gain massive ELO if you win, but little ELO if you lose.
On the other hand, if you are 1700 ELO, and the enemy team is 1300 ELO, you have a 90% chance to win, and will gain massive ELO if you win, and little ELO if you lose.

sure that sounds right? from both you are against higher and then lower elo but you say you still gain alot in both and little to lose in both.

from the vs higher, is it gain more but lose less?

then vs lower, is it lose more but gain less?

TehomCD 11-21-2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercifulMolester (Hozzászólás 31663481)

In chess and other systems where they use the Elo system for matchmaking, this is pretty much exactly right - a 400 point advantage should translate into a 90% chance to win. It should be mentioned that LoL's matchmaker is so far modified that calling it an Elo system can be very misleading, though.

For example, there's tons of wackiness with duo queues - if you have a very widely separated Elo between two people that duo, the enemy team will have a much higher average, and it'll also wreck the Elo gains/losses of everyone in the match, presumably due to the system having very little confidence in what the outcome should be from increased uncertainty.

IS134793e5f3c35e84c7d25 11-21-2012 05:40 AM

everything has elo. if you are taller your bone elo is better than that shorter guy. elo is how good you are basically. it can only be seen from ranked games, in normal games you still have elo but it is just hidden.

elo is used to have teams of even skill facing each other so that each match has a 50 percent chance of winning. the best players facing the best players would still have 50 percent chance of winning only difference is their elos are alot higher, while the worst players facing the worst players would still win 50 percent of the time except their elos are much worser.

if you are better than your elo, then each game your team would have an edge, and you'd get on a winning streak and your elo would rise.

unfortunately, 4 men on your team and 5 enemies could all have a bad or good game than normal. so your elo in league of legends is largely luck.

Fs Son0fSilas 11-21-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damein Sandow (Hozzászólás 31669792)
everything has elo. if you are taller your bone elo is better than that shorter guy. elo is how good you are basically. it can only be seen from ranked games, in normal games you still have elo but it is just hidden.

elo is used to have teams of even skill facing each other so that each match has a 50 percent chance of winning. the best players facing the best players would still have 50 percent chance of winning only difference is their elos are alot higher, while the worst players facing the worst players would still win 50 percent of the time except their elos are much worser.

if you are better than your elo, then each game your team would have an edge, and you'd get on a winning streak and your elo would rise.

Facepalm.jpeg

Completely off on almost every thing. Keep in mind, I'm saying this to educate you, not belittle you.

Teams don't have a 50/50 chance of winning, the rating system is made to give one team the advantage. Should that team win, they get the minimum elo score. Should they lose, they lose a marganally higher amount than if the other team would have lost. Raising your elo is based on beating the odds, not going on long streaks.

Not only that, but again OPs question was answered (and more clearly by others), and all your reply has done is misinformed and confused the subject.