League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   New Player Forum (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   We're not in Unova any more :O. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2810213)

MrFox12 11-17-2012 06:38 AM

We're not in Unova any more :O.

Well, this seems like the new player forum, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I haven't really done any serious team based games, but I've been playing competitive Pokemon for about 3 years, actually placing 2nd at the national championships and 10th at the worlds (in the seniors age division (12-15ish)). I'm pretty new to this genre in general, but I'll play games of any kind and I'm hoping to pick it up in the near future. I doubt I'll ever get super competitive, but I'd like to at least be decent at the game. I'm actually level 5 already, so I'm a little late with the into. The only champions I own are Ashe, Sivir, and Teemo. Ashe because she seems to be a staple on any team, Sivir because I consider extreme offense to be my playstyle and she appeared to fit (I could be horribly off, noob here), and although I've only done one match with Teemo, I love him to death. I'll probably main him if he continues to prove his worth. Thanks for reading my wall of text!

NullAurelian 11-17-2012 10:05 AM

Welcome to League, hope you enjoy your time here!

Post script: While the saying "On the internet, nobody knows you are a dog" applies, giving out your personal information is generally a bad idea.

Rav Abaddon 11-17-2012 11:15 AM

If you're serious, I can offer you help. There's a ton of information you need to know if you want to be considered decent among this crowd.

If you main Teemo, though, I'll hate you furiously while I do so. Sivir is also more of a defensive pick than an aggressive one; consider Ezreal, Graves, or Tristana instead for early ADC aggression.

TehomCD 11-17-2012 12:30 PM

It's been my experience that being a competitive gamer can often translate through genres, since part of what makes someone good at games is by quickly learning the nuances of how things work. You'll probably do quite well unless the team aspect of the game frustrates you, since people can be extremely rude or uncooperative sometimes.

You'll probably mostly enjoy champions with the 'assassin' or 'carry' tag, since they're defined by offensive punch. Assassins are defined by burst damage/threat to a single high priority target, while carries are defined by their high sustained damage, allowing them to wipe out a team if left unmolested.

MrFox12 11-17-2012 04:51 PM

Thanks for the comments!

I'll look into Ezrael, Graves and Tristina, but I'm starting to doubt my abilities playing offense. I'm sure I'm just going overboard, but I seem to die extremely early and get behind whenever I do so. I actually decided to try Teemo because he was really fast and ranged, but I'm starting to like the support side of him more. I'm having trouble learning where to place the mushrooms exactly, but that seems like something you gain with experience.

And Tehom, it does seem like it's translating a bit, because even though their completely different games, I felt like I could jump in pretty quickly after I learned how to move and use spells. Pokemon is turn based and not real time though, so you have a lot of time to think, which is the main thing that's throwing me on LoL. That also seems like something you just get used to over time though, and I'm already not feeling that as much as when I started. I'd love to play with you guys, and thanks for the warm welcome.

Rinto 11-17-2012 04:57 PM

Main Teemo... Please for my sanity don't main him. In any case, I consider myself pretty experienced and have a lot of very experienced friends. IDK if I can play with you at your current level, but if you want any advice add me any time.

PS: I main support. If you want advice on that role then I'd be happy to help you out.

Good luck, have fun, and don't face-check bushes.

MrFox12 11-17-2012 05:12 PM

Lol, why does everyone hate Teemo so much. Is it the mushrooms?

TehomCD 11-17-2012 07:01 PM

Haha, pretty much. Teemo is considered extremely irritating to deal with - he's very strong in lane, and very hard to pin down and get kills on. He's extremely good at a specific strategy called 'split pushing' - the idea there is that you try to push your lane quickly while you are able to handle almost anyone 1v1, and escape if multiple people come to deal with you, while your team capitalizes on that elsewhere on the map. As you might imagine, multiple people trying to kill a little rodent who scurries away while laughing can be extremely frustrating.

On the flip side, Teemo doesn't offer as much in 5v5 teamfights as many other champs, so outside of his role as a splitpusher and the utility he brings to teams, many people are kind of wary of having him on a team. That's not to say he's bad or anything, he's just much more niche with a specialized playstyle than you'd think at first glance.

Rav Abaddon 11-18-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFox12 (Hozzászólás 31544203)
Lol, why does everyone hate Teemo so much. Is it the mushrooms?

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2788775

Also your problems with dying early are probably you misjudging how much burst damage they can throw out.

MrFox12 11-18-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScorchXBanister (Hozzászólás 31559568)
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2788775

Also your problems with dying early are probably you misjudging how much burst damage they can throw out.

Pretty much. I'm not sure how much damage every champion can throw and who I can beat 1 on 1, so I end up dying a lot because I misjudge someone.