League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   @Riot: Ever heard about the story of the Umbra sword? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2785747)

Youso1337 11-11-2012 12:08 AM

@Riot: Ever heard about the story of the Umbra sword?

It's a blade from the Elder Scrolls series that was created specifically to harvest souls, and which would corrupt its wielder through its use. Very powerful, and very evil. More info through here: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Umbra

Why am I bringing this up? Because I think that making a Champion who is based around a similar kind of blade would be an interesting concept.

Here's some rough lore I've made for a new Champion Concept I'm developing: (yes, this schtick again; think of it as an example)
Quote:

Champion Name: Grolla Seyfarth, the Demon Blade

Former heiress of the noble Seyfarth family in Noxus, Grolla has become a ruthless murderer following the downfall of her family. Wielding the cursed sword Grollschwert, she has become a threat to all around her, possessed by the very blade she wields. Every foe slain by her blade feeds an unnatural hunger, not for blood, but for the very souls of mortal kind. And her greatest desire is the downfall of the current ruler of Noxus: Jericho Swain.

When Swain’s regime took control of Noxus, many noble families loyal to the former ruler Boram Darkwill were ousted, or otherwise slaughtered. The Seyfarths, a proud noble family of Noxian warriors, were one such family to face the slaughter, with Grolla being the only survivor. Desperate for revenge, Grolla journeyed to the Seyfarth family’s tomb where an ancient greatsword, the Grollschwert, was rumored to rest, sealed away by the spirits of her ancestors. Ignoring the warnings from her departed ancestors of the sword’s evil power, Grolla found the Grollschwert and removed it from its sealed bindings. But upon grasping the black blade, she learned the cost of her actions as her very soul was stolen by the sword’s curse.

Emerging from the tomb, Grolla was confronted by a task force led by Darius, the Hand of Noxus, who sought her head. Grolla was merciless, cutting through the Noxian elites like a scythe to chaff, leaving only eviscerated remains of her foes as her blade harvested their very souls to feed its hunger. She allowed Darius to live, albeit wounded, to inform Swain that she would eventually come for him, and that his soul would belong to the Grollschwert in time.

This blade has claimed countless souls, including my own. I will make do without one. – Grolla
If anything, I feel this has a sort of "Arthas Menethil" vibe in terms of how desperate he is for vengeance when he claims the Frostmourne. Only in this case, Grolla knows ahead of time that if she takes the blade, she'll be d*mned for all eternity. (And she doesn't give a f*ck, at that.)

Interesting dimension to explore, or too cliche?

dafedidi 11-11-2012 08:49 AM

"Demonblade Tryndamere" ?

Youso1337 11-11-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dafedidi (Hozzászólás 31281150)
"Demonblade Tryndamere" ?

Skin. Doesn't count as canon.

Konoton 11-11-2012 09:53 AM

"Nocturne's Passive" ?

Youso1337 11-11-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konoton (Hozzászólás 31282738)
"Nocturne's Passive" ?

Harr harr...

Aphet 11-11-2012 11:03 AM

I like it, but I would rewrite the lore a little bit. It's easy to avoid the cliche by dropping several phrases.

I think her name should be... Grolla Seyfarth, Servant of the Blade.

Otherwise, I love this champion concept and would totally work on it with you because it's awesome and gives me all these ideas, but I don't just want to steal it from you. I've been looking to make a melee carry for a while... like fiora, yi, and trynd. Except, y'know, one that works well.

Youso1337 11-11-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphet (Hozzászólás 31284542)
I like it, but I would rewrite the lore a little bit. It's easy to avoid the cliche by dropping several phrases.

I think her name should be... Grolla Seyfarth, Servant of the Blade.

Otherwise, I love this champion concept and would totally work on it with you because it's awesome and gives me all these ideas, but I don't just want to steal it from you. I've been looking to make a melee carry for a while... like fiora, yi, and trynd. Except, y'know, one that works well.

The lore I wrote is a draft, and not the final product. I fully intend to improve it. Any suggestions on where to improve lines?

As for "Servant of the Blade", ehh, not enough "oomph" in the title, TBH. I'm actually thinking I should label Grolla as "The Cursed Blade".

And thanks for offering, but I've already got a rough kit that I'm developing for Grolla. It actually involves a new resource I call "Souls". The kit's not quite finished yet, though, and I plan to seek opinions in GD before I finalize it.

Aphet 11-11-2012 11:40 AM

Not sure if you'll need it, but I found this really helpful.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2099323

It also talks about creating new resources.

Youso1337 11-11-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphet (Hozzászólás 31285665)
Not sure if you'll need it, but I found this really helpful.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2099323

It also talks about creating new resources.

Yeah, I've seen that. Making my Souls resource work is going to be tricky, but ultimately worth it. Also, it's a thematic thing for Grolla, since she's this kind of reaper-like swordswoman who uses evil power and harvests the souls of those she kills.

Here's a current rendition of the Souls resource (copied from Word document).
Quote:

Grolla uses a new mechanic known as Souls. She receives a Soul every time she kills a unit, up to a maximum of three, also replenishing part of her supply of Souls if she remains out of combat for an extended period of time. Every time she uses one of her basic abilities, she expends a Soul. Her abilities do not require Souls to be cast, but if used without Souls, they will be significantly weaker.

Grolla also has a unique, optional item she can purchase called the Seyfarth Soul Gem, which augments her mechanics. It adds bonus magic damage to her basic attacks based on her level and the number of Souls she has, and increases the maximum number of Souls she can carry by one. It also can be activated to instantly give Grolla two additional Souls, which can be useful in heated fights.
For further comprehension, I'll also include the current rendition of Grolla's passive.
Quote:

Grollschwert (innate passive)
Every time Grolla kills an enemy, she receives one Soul. Whenever Grolla uses a basic ability, she consumes a Soul if she has one, enhancing its effect. If Grolla remains out of combat for 10 seconds, she will reset her Soul count to 2. Grolla can hold a maximum of 3 Souls at a time (4 if she has the Seyfarth Soul Gem).

For every Soul Grolla has, she receives 3/6/9/12 bonus AD. (Increases at levels 6, 11 and 16)

NOTES: Grolla counts as “in combat” if she deals or takes damage. Entering combat will cancel the current progress on the timer.
Note that I'm still tweaking this around, so it'll be subject to changes.

Renekton Bot 11-12-2012 01:58 AM

A blade-user who expends a non-mana resource to enhance their abilities, eh?