League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   A thread about polls (including a poll about polls). (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2784770)

PogoPogoPogoPogo 11-10-2012 05:39 PM

A thread about polls (including a poll about polls).

I think people who open threads with polls in these forums are excellent poll-creators. Adding the poll option to your thread is a great way to enhance the conversation on what ever it is you're discussing. Take the poll in this thread, for example. The point of this thread is actually quite the opposite of what I stated in the first sentence. The example poll I've created in this thread is quite indicative of the typical poll options that are offered in threads in these forums.

Option 1: People who create polls on these forums are idiots.
Option 2: People who create polls aren't idiots, they're terribad noobtards when it comes to making polls.
Option 3: I disagree, not because the idea is wrong, but because I'm an idiot.

See? See how easy it is for me to skew the results of my poll in favor of the point I'm making as if that some how helps me win the argument? You can either choose option one, which is a complete agreement of everything I've stated in my original post. Or, you can choose option two, and while it disagrees with me on some very banal, unrelated point, the gist of the option is still in agreement with me.

If you're lucky, the poll creator gave another option. Option 3. This is the option that, although is a complete disagreement of the point of my thread, it's usually got something snarky attached to it, or some insult directed at anyone who decides to vote for that option.

Now, I'm not entirely sure what goes through the mind of the average poll creator when they create these kinds of polls. Do they think that the horrendous list of options influences people to vote for the one option they want and helps to prove their point? Or are the simply being passive-aggressive? Do they KNOW what they're doing or are they unintentionally leaving out any fair option for people who completely disagree with whatever nonsense point they're trying to make?

How come the only fair polls on these forums are found in "What champion should I buy next?" threads? And even in those threads, why should the popular vote in your silly poll be more important than the arguments for or against various champions that comments have made in your thread?

NOTE: I'll edit the Options into this post after I've created the poll. I haven't decided on the final wording of each option yet.

PS: inb4 "what poll?" The thread posts before I even get the ability to create the poll. Calm down bro. It's coming.

EDIT: Oh yea, I forgot to rant about the title, but yea. Like how the forum gave me the option to write a helpful title, yet I chose to NOT do that?

EDIT: Guys, this is meant as satire to prove a point. Try to laugh and not get too upset just because your polling skills are bad.

PogoPogoPogoPogo 11-12-2012 08:12 AM

No one is interested?

Skury420 11-12-2012 01:46 PM

Number 3. Just because i always vote for the completely unrelated one.

Mageinta Warrior 11-12-2012 06:05 PM

I'm deeply sorry that you take these polls seriously. It should be obvious whether or not you're making an honest statement in a poll or if you're just feeding an ego.