League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would a "Ranger" charactor work in LoL? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2778427)

Toxic Toothpick 11-08-2012 05:57 PM

Would a "Ranger" charactor work in LoL?

I played "another MOBA" recently, and despite disliking it, I did greatly enjoy a hero whome had a pet mechanic similar to many MMORPGs Ranger classes.

The general idea is that the Hero has a permanent pet that is almost always with them and is quite strong. You can even buy it items.

I would simply like to discuss if such a thing would work in LoL or if the games are too different. This could exclude the ability to give them items, because that would require unique UI elements, but the idea of having a permanent and powerful pet seems viable and new.

It would, in my opinion, work best as a Passive, with a cooldown/debuff respawn timer should it happen to die.

PrĂłfessor Oak 11-08-2012 05:58 PM

Missread

rolanblunts 11-08-2012 05:58 PM

It should have its own abilities too that can either damage enemies or support the master of the pet.

Toxic Toothpick 11-08-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolanblunts (Hozzászólás 31201275)
It should have its own abilities too that can either damage enemies or support the master of the pet.

Maybe have the characters R swap between controlling the pet and the master? That would be awesome. Would likely have a high skill ceiling too.

SilentSounds 11-08-2012 06:00 PM

They have problems with AI atm. Plus the ranger could bully his enemy out of lane while sitting snugly at his turret. Ranger op I guess :P

Cows in Tuxedos 11-08-2012 06:01 PM

This would be too OP

imagine orianna, except her ball can equip stuff and can attack without commands

wayyy hard to play against, or UP as fk

TheJohns 11-08-2012 06:02 PM

They could, but the game engine was designed to make multi-unit control as bad as possible.

rolanblunts 11-08-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxic Toothpick (Hozzászólás 31201344)
Maybe have the characters R swap between controlling the pet and the master? That would be awesome. Would likely have a high skill ceiling too.

I was thinking more of the R effects both the owner and pet, but under the pets information bubble would be three additional skills (nowhere near as strong as the champs regular abilities) that can damage/debuff enemies, or maybe give small bonuses to the master. It would definitely require some hard work on riot's side, but if they did it properly, could be an incredibly fun, high skill cap champ.

Toxic Toothpick 11-08-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentSounds (Hozzászólás 31201362)
They have problems with AI atm. Plus the ranger could bully his enemy out of lane while sitting snugly at his turret. Ranger op I guess :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cows in Tuxedos (Hozzászólás 31201392)
This would be too OP

imagine orianna, except her ball can equip stuff and can attack without commands

wayyy hard to play against, or UP as fk

The 'other game' did it where there were two rules that limited the abuse:
A) can only attack while rather close to the master
B) if it dies, the master takes a chunk of damage.

Something along those lines could work, or the pet and master could be just be balanced around the pet, so once it's dead the master is a weak Champion that will lose any fair 1 vs 1 fight.

Samflash3 11-08-2012 06:19 PM

They could make the pet icon show next to the original character or the pets skillset be alt+ q/w/e, alt+ rightclick to move. Plus maybe a combination ability(like the two of them fuse together to become another character (with the 2 best ablities).