League of Legends Community
1234511 ... 13

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Inconsistencies with fan-shaped skill shots. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2770256)

Sylvr 11-06-2012 10:49 AM

Inconsistencies with fan-shaped skill shots.

3 Attachment(s)
(and probably some non-fan skill shots)

What I'm talking about is that some are directional, while some are area-select AOEs. The difference is that when you cast an area-select version outside of your current range, your character will move forward to that point before casting the spell (Annie's W, for example), whereas the direction skill shots cast immediately from where you character is standing (e.g. Talon's W).

I don't see why there are two different systems for these types of spells.

Some more examples of area-select AOEs (Walk into range and then use):
  • Annie's W
  • Riven's second R (her execute)
  • Cho'Gath's W
  • Miss Fortune's R
  • Morde's E

Some more directional (Use immediately from where they're standing):
  • Ashe's W
  • Cassio's R
  • Darius' E
  • Graves' Q
  • Karma's Q
  • Kass' E
  • Pantheon's E
  • Syndra's E
  • Talon's W

I'd love to see these regulated, preferably favoring the immediate cast version. The area-select versions feel so clunky and delayed when you're in a fast-paced fight.

Thoughts GD?

Any reds wanna give some insight into this?

Edit: The definitions in the opening paragraph are my own. I couldn't think of a better way to describe it, and I needed to call them something.

Edit 2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sines314 (Hozzászólás 31119996)
Agreed. The ones like Annie's W have screwed me up in the past, especially since the AOE selector starts moving before you've moved your cursor past the range of the immediate cast.

An excellent point from page 3! Some pics of what he's talking about below (slightly more detail in my response on page 3).

Benchmarks:

Broke 100 upvotes! (150+ on the Reddit thread). Need a red!
200 upvotes (400+ on Reddit) GIVE ME THE ANSWERS RIOT!!!

Irie Vibrator 11-06-2012 10:58 AM

bump, this is pertinent to my interests

Aishi 11-06-2012 11:01 AM

The area select gives you slightly more range if you cast it about a step away from your character - the movement is minute due to the animation not really moving and the skill still comes out.

Then again, my favorite character is Morde, I'm beyond used to it.

Imp Loader 11-06-2012 11:03 AM

Yeah, as someone who likes playing Cho, Feral Scream is usable, but I think turning it into the use-immediately variant would make it much easier to use.

Brent Corrigan 11-06-2012 11:05 AM

I think I don't play Annie because of her weird conic skillshot. I also want it to work more like Cassiopeia's ultimate, firing immediately from her point of origin.

Rakabn 11-06-2012 11:05 AM

Well all I can say is that the aoe select ones do detach from the champion on the indicator, where as the others stay latched to your model.

Sylvr 11-06-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakabn (Hozzászólás 31114805)
Well all I can say is that the aoe select ones do detach from the champion on the indicator, where as the others stay latched to your model.

Yeah, that's where I came up with the "area-select" label. It seems like you pick a cone-shaped area somewhere in front of you and run there.

The biggest problem I have with the mechanic is when the enemy is moving and you need to cast the spell RIGHT NOW to hit them, but you can't lead the shot without the risk of delaying the move and missing entirely.

Thrice The Third 11-06-2012 11:15 AM

I'm confused are we talking about smartcast? This sounds like smartcast to me.

RpiesSPIES 11-06-2012 11:16 AM

Darius' grab always seems so buggy when he uses it on me >.> I know it's range is just above skarner's Q (distance of it), but it always seems to grab me from ryze snare range.

Sylvr 11-06-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The2BrosGaming (Hozzászólás 31115168)
I'm confused are we talking about smartcast? This sounds like smartcast to me.

I think it's more noticeable with smartcast, but it affects either method.

I'm not sure I can explain it any better than I did in the OP. If I knew how to make .gif files, I would post some visual examples (if someone wants to do that, I'll throw them into the OP).