League of Legends Community
1234511 ... 17

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Guide to Anivia, the Cryophoenix (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2761)

The Swedish Chef 07-31-2009 01:34 PM

[GUIDE] Anivia, the Cryophoenix - UPDATED 11/27

Probably the most balanced of all champions right now, and my personal favorite hero. Anivia is a heavy caster that requires most focus on AP and Mana supply. I'll talk about her pros, cons, game strategy and even the best mastery and rune setups for her.

Pros
-Excellent farming capabilities
-Good early harasser
-Powerful ganking/team battle skills
-Good multi-stun and slow skills
-One of the best passives in the game

Cons
-Low starting HP and damage
-Highly reliant on MP supply
-Slowest movement speed in game
-Requires lots of micro-management
-Not for beginners

Pre-game Options - Summoner Skills
Anivia benefits from almost every summoner skill, apart from things like Smite.

Clarity and Ignite would be my top choices. Clarity helps with her early game harassing a ton, and can help in team fights as well, while Ignite (with the mastery) can really help out with first bloods and finishing off running champs. It's also great against healing champions.

Cleanse is another suggestion, since Anivia is very squishy early on and stuns can mean the end quickly even with her passive.

Flash is a good combo spell with her Wall ability, as you can set a pre-emptive wall in front of you while being chased, then simply Flash passed it, leaving your enemies behind it.

Pre-game Options - Runes
Considering the runes are rather meh right now, for the most part, I'd suggest going nothing but AP and Mana runes. Another possible is to go AP and Magic Penetration, since you will be spamming your skills a lot.

Pre-game Options - Masteries
Simply put, your masteries should all be into MP regen/MP gains/skill cooldowns. I personally worked on the Attack masteries up until the 15% Magic Penetration, then went full Utility afterwards, getting all the mana boosting/regen and skill cooldowns in the tree.

Another option, which is mentioned in a build below, is to go hard into Offensive tree with 21 points, and put your last 9 in Support with mana regen and split with exp boost/mana gain. Make sure you get the Magic Penetration mastery from Offensive tree as well.

Item Build - AP Phoenix
Doran's Ring - 435g
Amplifying Tome - 435g
Mejai's Soulstealer - 800g (1235g total - First Main Item Complete)
Boots of Speed - 350g
Sorcerer's Shoes - 750g (1100g total) (Can come after your Second Main)
Ruby Crystal - 475g
Sapphire Crystal - 400g
Catalyst the Protector - 450g (1325g total)
Blasting Wand - 860g
Rod of Ages - 850g (3035g total - Second Main Item Complete)
Faerie Charm - 180g
Sapphire Crystal - 400g
Tear of the Goddess - 400g (980g total)
Blasting Wand - 860g
Archangel's Staff - 1000g (2840g total - Third Main Item Complete)

Going Doran's into a Mejais is very strong on Anivia early game. If you went with my suggested AP rune build, with a Doran's she should have 40 starting AP. That is very powerful against any opponent really, especially after she hits lvl 2 and you can throw a FF+FB combo. Either get some kills in or farm minions steadily, then go for your Mejai's so you can attempt a few early game kills or assists. This progression will snowball very well with her and she can quickly on most champions before they knew what happened. RoA of course is still the best second choice item on her for the HP/MP mostly, followed by Tear for some decent mana regen. End it with Archangel's Staff and you should have somewhere between near 500 AP by this point, if not more.

As a good option for a late game item, get Abyssal Scepter or Zhonya's Ring. The further magic resist reduction combined with Anivia's ultimate can be devastating with Scepter. And Zhonya's will bring her AP to massive proportions of 600 or 700, giving her the ability to instantly nuke most champs.

Item Build - Hybrid Phoenix
Doran's Ring - 435g
Amplifying Tome - 435g
Mejai's Soulstealer - 800g (1235g total - First Main Item Complete)
Boots of Speed - 350g
Sorcerer's Shoes - 750g (1100g total) (Can come after your Second Main)
Ruby Crystal - 475g
Sapphire Crystal - 400g
Catalyst the Protector - 450g (1325g total)
Blasting Wand - 860g
Rod of Ages - 850g (3035g total - Second Main Item Complete)
Amplifying Tome - 435g
Sapphire Crystal - 400g
Sheen - 425g (1260g total)
Blasting Wand - 860g
Null-magic Mantle - 400g
Lich Bane - 950g (2635g total - Third Main Item Complete)

So this one starts off, much like the AP build. Difference is you'll be going Lich Bane and Guinsoo's Rageblade possibly after. You'll want to be running 21/0/9 spec for Masteries for it however, as the attack speed and damage will help out. Using this method you can take out towers pretty easily.

Skills List - (NOW UPDATED WITH SKILL ABILITY SCALING)
Flash Frost: Anivia brings her wings together and summons a single piercing lance of ice that flies towards her opponents, chilling and damaging anyone in its path. When the lance explodes it does moderate damage in a radius, stunning anyone in the area.

Damage - 60/90/120/150/180
Atk/Spd Slow - 20% for 3 sec (ice-type)
Stun - .75 sec

Flash Frost is Anivia's key skill. It stuns, slows and is your farming skill the entire game. By rank 3 or 4, you should be able to one-shot a wave of ranged creeps if detonated properly, which is a quick 50+ gold. It's range is incredible as well, so it will be important use in ganking and team fights to stun. Speed is somewhat slow, so need to be able to read your opponent pretty well.

Crystalize: By using the moisture in the air, Cryophoenix summons an impenetrable wall of ice to block the movement of her enemies. The wall only lasts a short duration before it melts.

Width - 400/500/600/700/800 units
Duration - 5 sec

One of the neatest skills in the game. This is essential in chasing and ganking, especially in jungle areas, as it can cut off an escape very easily. It can also assist you and your team in getting out of a fight you know you'll lose. The direction Anivia faces will determine the angle the wall faces.

Frostbite: With a flap of her wings, Cryophoenix blasts a freezing gust of wind at her target, dealing a medium amount of damage. If the target has been slowed by an ice effect, the damage they take is doubled.

Damage - 55/90/125/160/195 (x2 if ice slowed)

A key skill for early first bloods. As per the description, it's damage gets doubled whenever something gets slowed, so it has synergy with your Flash Frost and Glacial Storm. Against the right opponent, you can score an easy first blood within the first couple minutes of a match with a Flash Frost/Frostbite combo.

NOTE:Range is very short on Frostbite, so you'll need to move in quick to get the double-damage in before the slow wears off. This is best accomplished by throwing a Flash Frost, moving in before detonating it, then using Frostbite.

Glacial Storm: Cryophoenix summons a driving rain of ice and hail to damage her enemies and slow their advance.

Damage - 80/120/160 (dmg/sec)
Atk/Spd Slow - 30% for 2.5 sec

Massive AoE that deals constant damage. First level is mostly good for quick Frostbite combos and finishing off creep waves for the last hits. Very mana intensive though, so it will drain your pool VERY quickly if you're not careful.

Passive: On dying, Cryophoenix will revert into an egg. If the egg can survive for six seconds, she is gloriously reborn.

One of the best passives in the game. After Anivia hits 0 hp, she'll turn into an egg with her HP completely refilled. This allows her to probably die the least in most games, since it wont count as a kill until she is completely dead. It also means she potentially has 2x the HP that is shown on her due to it. A 3k hp Anivia is very hard to deal with, because you'll have to deal another 3k in HP after just killing her once.

Skill Build
1.Flash Frost
2.Frostbite
3.Frostbite
4.Flash Frost
5.Frostbite
6.Glacial Storm
7.Flash Frost
8.Frostbite
9.Crystallize
10.Crystallize
11.Glacial Storm
12.Crystallize
13.Frostbite
14.Crystallize
15.Frostbite
16.Glacial Storm
17.Flash Frost
18.Crystallize

Game Strategy - Early Game

Early game, Anivia can either solo or dual lane. She's very effective at both. During this time you should be harassing the enemy as much as possible with Flash Frost. Only use Frostbite when you know you'll do some massive damage that will cause them to retreat (which means using it against champs like Annie, Ryze, Morgana, Evelynne, etc). Otherwise just pound on the creep waves with Flash Frost for some easy money. You should be able to finish off whichever Boots you're going for and begin on your first item by 5-10 mins in, possibly already having enough to start on your second item, especially if you're soloing. If you're dual-laning, it's very possible to get a First Blood within a couple minutes of the game, as long as your lane partner is with you on it, because her skills are very strong early game.

Game Strategy - Mid Game
Mid game, about lvl 9-11, you should have finished off your main item by about this time if you've been farming well. You should have a couple levels in Crystallize, then can commence the ganking with Anivia. She is really outstanding at this point, as you can have your teammates chase an enemy into the jungle and have Anivia chase from the other end. Once you get within range, position yourself and plant a wall. Free kill. This is the best way to help out with Anivia during ganks. During a team fight, Anivia is also a good initiator, using Flash Frost to stun one or more champs momentarily for the rest of your team to move in for kills. Of course, wall off any runners if possible. During this time, you should be going for whatever your second main item is, whether you're playing mana build or tank build, finishing it off by around lvl 12-14. When no one's engaged, just continue to easy farm on creep waves with Flash Frost, and you can jungle at the same time fairly easily.

Game Strategy - Late Game

About lvl 15, the game should start showing who's dominating by this point, if either team truly is. Your second main item should be done, and depending on the situation, you could either be going for your third item or something that can adapt to the situation at hand if you're the one being on the defensive. You should be almost exclusively helping out in ganking/team fights, only laning when a tower needs to be defended for a moment, which you should easily be able to push back. Frostbite combos will continue to be your key skills. Depending on the build you went with as well, Anivia could very well be used as an initiator or decoy in final pushes, since her overall survivability is higher than most other champions outside of pure tanks.

Lane Partners
Anivia's best lane partners are anyone who can dish out burst damage or stun as well. Blitzcrank, Rammus and Ryze are pretty good examples of partners to lane with. As for bad lane partners, anyone that deals mass AoE damage is probably worst laned with Anivia, since neither will be able to farm properly due to 2 mass aoe skills. Zilean, Cho'goth and Annie are examples of this.

Good Lanes
Any low HP champion that doesnt have a reliable way to escape is a bonus for Anivia. This would include Heimerdinger, Annie and TF. Most melee champions are also good to lane against, such as Jaxx or Master Yi, as Anivia has one of the best ranges for attacking in the game, as well as the huge range on Flash Frost.

Bad Lanes
Mostly any champion that has an ability to spam heals is your biggest problem. Champions like Warwick or Morde in particular are hard for her to deal with in solo, but most can be handled in dual lanes with a competent partner.

The Swedish Chef 07-31-2009 03:39 PM

I still need to update on what exactly the skills do for her per level, which I wont be able to do until I get into the game later on today. Otherwise, thoughts on the guide overall?

Teran 07-31-2009 05:08 PM

I haven't played as Cryophoenix myself, but from the perspective of an opponent or lane partner the information seems to ring true. Cryo is second or third on my list of early harassers I don't want to see in my lane and the information you have on harassing is very accurate.

SCV 07-31-2009 06:28 PM

Interesting thanks!

PiousFlea 07-31-2009 09:48 PM

I was not aware that Frozen Mallet counted as a slow for Frostbite. Sweet!

Foreshadowed 07-31-2009 11:25 PM

Getting Tears of the Goddess earlier is better, other then some differences in your build I agree with your guide, good work:D

The Swedish Chef 08-01-2009 05:47 PM

Thanks for the comments guys, good to hear positive feedback. If anyone has some alternative builds they can think of for various things, please feel free to list them up.

And I still have yet to input the scaling per level on each of the skills, but I'll get to it soon.

Vacant 08-01-2009 08:49 PM

This build - and the character - have quickly become my favorite things ever after a day or two of playing. Just went 8-1 after completely dominating a lane v2 opponents at the start of the match. Went for the Teardrop first for some extra mana regen, which pushed the Rod until a bit late in the match, but it didn't even matter.

Thanks for the guide!

The Swedish Chef 08-02-2009 06:48 PM

Fully updated with skill scaling!

PiousFlea 08-06-2009 08:19 PM

My favorite build for Anivia is actually not a mana stacking build, it is a pure +AP build like one would use on Ryze/Fiddle. Sorc's shoes, soulstealer, lichbane and zhonyas.

While a new cryo player often wastes a lot of mana missing Flash Freezes or forgetting to turn off ulti, an experienced Cryo doesn't use nearly as much Mana. By stacking AP instead of mana, you become vastly more lethal, at the cost of being alot less forgiving of misses.