League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Why is lore important to you in a MOBA (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2724937)

JudoPunch 10-25-2012 07:24 PM

Why is lore important to you in a MOBA

Title.

maxterdexter 10-25-2012 08:11 PM

Because it's cool.

Because I like to know as much as possible about the games that I enjoy.

Because it enriches the personality of the characters.

Because the lore in dota was boring, incomplete and disjointed, and I can barely remember the motivations of the characters.

Because I loved the judgments, and the interactions with the characters, and the JoJ, and the 2 season intro videos, and that the first season video broke me from my longest lolfree time.

Geokhan 10-25-2012 08:17 PM

I don't know. It adds layers I guess. It isn't just a, "Oh hey, lets fight!" It makes the game a challenge to the characters. Each character has a reason to be there and you can feel for them. In DOTA 2, what lore I have seen explains what they are. In LoL, it explains why they are. Katarina isn't just a set of boobs with a bunch of knives, she is a zealot for a doctrine of advancement of her nation. Garen isn't a dizzy fool, he is the paragon of justice and order. Then we get the character rivalries. Ashe and Sejuani, Rengar and Kha'zix, TF and Graves. They are butting heads, trying to prove themselves.

Baron Bodacious 10-25-2012 09:44 PM

When a game get's me to want to play as Viktor when I see Jayce it's doing something right.
When I get excited to see Darius and Draven in lane together (even if it's not the greatest of lane comps) it's doing something right.

It's small things like that that that enrich the game simply because of the story behind it. When the story makes the game more fun simply because it exists you know you've got something good.

ULTRAliskZ 10-26-2012 04:44 AM

im quiet new to the lore of league of legends, however its surprisingly well thought out, and i just like to know the back-story of the champions i love to play and why they joined the league in the first place, the lore in league of legends is so good that i won't be surprised if they made a move or a small animated series about it

Cerubois 10-26-2012 05:16 AM

I'm a story-based person. It's the first thing I look to when I watch a movie or play a video game. I need to connect to the characters, know what drives them and how they interact with others.

I'm also a romantic, so any hints on relationships are the first things I pick up on. It's an interest thing. :P

webbut 10-26-2012 09:28 AM

I don't think it's important at all. I am personally think that stories in games are overrated and mostly used to hide gameplay short comings, how ever I do like stories and if a game happens to have an interesting one, I'm going to eat that **** up.

Garnet 10-26-2012 02:24 PM

Because I'm an artist and a heavy reader and enjoy getting absorbed in the lore provided by the games I play.

Mutterscrawl 10-26-2012 03:26 PM

Gives me a reason to care about the game and incentive to learn champions I might not otherwise look at.

Trolosaurus 10-26-2012 03:30 PM

Hon's extreme lack of lore bugs me