League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My trip to the World Championship Finals (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2680283)

The Freakshow 10-14-2012 02:42 PM

My trip to the World Championship Finals

Hello fellow denizens of the Fields of Justice,

I come to you today wishing to bring my story of the amazing day that was Saturday, October 13, 2012.

Before I say anything I would like to thank @Riot in general for being able to organize and orchestrate such an event. It was handled very well and even when there was a bit of a bump (outlined below) it was able to be corrected quickly and efficiently! Also, sorry about the massive post, just wanted to let everyone know about my trip.

It started at 8 AM in the morning where I woke up like usual in Tempe, Arizona and made myself breakfast. After doing this, I sat down with my friend(who was at the other computer in the room 5 feet away). We both played one game of League and won the game (great way to start the day). We then got all our things in my car and began our trip to Los Angeles, California at 9:45 AM. The way there was mostly talking about different possibilities for team comps and how exciting it will be to meet up with a bunch of people and see all the different types of Cosplay. It took us about 2 1/2 hours and we arrived to the Flying J in Blythe, Arizona. Here we sat for about 30 minutes after filling up on gas and relaxed having some food. When we got in the car we said in near unison "Next stop, WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS!" We then drove another 2 1/2 hours (I may have been slightly exceeding the speed limit to arrive a bit earlier!) and arrived right near the Galen Center(~4:15 PM). But we then waited on the off ramp for about 30 minutes since everyone else had the same idea :P. It was fine though, because we were able to see a bunch of people in the line with crazy cosplay. Once we parked we went to the back of the line... which looped around and a half the Galen Center!

This line still had some awesome things, however, such as one of my friends coming dressed as Pink Taric. We ran in to @Riku dressed as her Nidalee costume and I gave her a high five as she walked past (probably won't remember me, but that's OK). We ran in to a bunch of other awesome cosplay as well such as a Draven, Tryndamere, Teemo, Panda Teemo, A couple Ahris and a bunch of other people who were in another area unable to speak to. Once inside the event it was not like what I was expecting at all (my first big event like this)... three giant life-sized Champion statues were standing tall with epic music being played in the background, it was fantastic!

I then made my way to the 100 section where I was able to sit next to my friend @subninja and a bunch of other rioters (outline a bit more below). I got in my seat about an hour before the ceremonies were supposed to begin (~5:30 PM) so I had the chance to hang out and chat with some friends and meet a bunch of awesome people (rioters). Once the show began there was a live orchestra performing for us the League of Legends theme, which was just stunning. The vocals were amazing along with the entire feeling of being actually in the action. Once that was finished we watched some community spotlight videos and then proceeded to introduce all of the players from each pro team.

Once they all got to their respective computers the fun began. I won't go into details about the games, of course, as most of you watched all of them anyways. But I will state that the cheering and atmosphere when big plays occurred and when... wards were killed... was just phenomenal in all aspects, electric. After the event ended around ~11 I then went outside to collect my swag bag and met up with a bunch of people in the line who I talked with for another hour and a half before I actually received it. The funny part about this is that the line for the swag was split into two sides (left or right of the entrance to the Galen Center). My friends and I went left, got right near the front of the line and found all of the statues were on the other end now, they had gone out. I got a little frustrated, but then out of the side entrance flying through with several boxes of bags came @Ryze, then several more rioters came through with multiple boxes so they could appease the left side of the crowd. Everyone was doing their part to help out, and I thought that was awesome! I then got in my car at 1 AM Sunday, October 14, 2012, and began my 5-6 hour drive (depending on speed, it took us 6 hours) back to Tempe, Arizona! :)

My interactions with rioters:

@subninja - I think it was great to finally meet you in person, and I'm glad I was able to sit next to you. We shall have some fun playing LoL later!
@RiotTeaTime - Same to you, though we didn't interact as much. It was cool meeting you.
@RiotSilver - I apologize about that hand shake man, that was one of the most awkward things of all time... This is what I thought to myself after doing it... http://images.wikia.com/creepypasta/...d-why-text.png
@Meddler - Your accent is amazing, and I thank you for enlightening me to a bunch of different aspects in your thought process in creating Ziggs.
@Bitsplosion - You're really cool, and the particle process seems pretty fun. You definitely appear to really love what you do :D
@Nikasaur - I never actually met you, but I did see you on stage and I think I got an orange from you, so it's k.
@Maokai - I didn't say much to you, but I thought it was hilariously awesome when Maokai was picked and everyone turned and pointed to you saying your name.
@Ezreal - I didn't talk to you at all, but you sat just to the right of me and got your picture with people wearing Ezreal costumes, so that was cool.
@RedBeard - I never met you either, but you seemed to have a LOT of fun with that Kog'Maw shirt gun.
@RiotNarya - You looked rather busy as you were taking pictures of people and things!
@IronStylus - I saw you walking around talking with a bunch of people accompanying Narya, but I never got to talk to you.
@Ryze @Tryndamere - You guys looked great up on stage and it was cool seeing you at the end.
@Phreak @RivingtonThe3rd - Was great meeting you two, even if it was just for a hand shake. I know you had a lot of people come back for pictures, just wanted to make it easier by just saying hey.
And last but not least - @Morello - Loved the Gangnam Style dance as you left the building... as the woman said "Why is no one recording this?!"
@Anyone I missed, was great seeing you as well!

I would love to play some games with any of you, would be a fun time =].

Regards,
Mike "FreakShow"

Also, the swag that I received is linked below (sorry about the quality, it's from my cell phone. Also, I tried to upload it, but it wasn't working >.>)

http://imageshack.us/a/img94/8966/2012101413425797.jpg

I Am Tolan 10-14-2012 02:43 PM

csb

Sov 10-14-2012 02:46 PM

Cool

The Freakshow 10-14-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NothinButSwag (Hozzászólás 30224587)
csb

It is posted to describe my ventures to the event.. You do not have to reply like this, you don't even have to open the thread if you felt it necessary to reply like this...

I Am Tolan 10-14-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreakShow9807 (Hozzászólás 30224666)
It is posted to describe my ventures to the event.. You do not have to reply like this, you don't even have to open the thread if you felt it necessary to reply like this...

think of it as a bump instead then...

Touche 10-14-2012 02:48 PM

Sounds like you had a great time!
Looks like a missed out a lot ._. deff going to the next championships a year from now...

The Freakshow 10-14-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touche (Hozzászólás 30224735)
Sounds like you had a great time!
Looks like a missed out a lot ._. deff going to the next championships a year from now...

Definitely - I would recommend this trip to everyone. It was my first real video game / esport event outside of local. I didn't know what to expect and it was just fantastic. The rioters were all really awesome and they definitely enjoyed the people that came by asking for autographs and pictures and such. I know after going to this event I plan to go to a LOT more in the future because of just how great the experience all together was.

Hovo 10-14-2012 02:55 PM

Cool to know people came all the way from Arizona to watch!! How'd you like LA traffic? :P

Did you also get your hands on Riot Graves/Arcade Sona? I heard they were passing them out but unfortunately I didn't run into any Rioters. /sadface

It was my first esports event, and it was quite an experience! I'm definitely going again next year.

The Freakshow 10-14-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venaccio (Hozzászólás 30224945)
Cool to know people came all the way from Arizona to watch!! How'd you like LA traffic? :P

Did you also get your hands on Riot Graves/Arcade Sona? I heard they were passing them out but unfortunately I didn't run into any Rioters. /sadface

Since I was around them they offered it to me, but I only took one Riot Graves skin code to give to my friend. I already had both of the skins, so I didn't want to take them from other people who still needed the skins.

Also, the traffic was... not as to my pleasure, let's say that. I won't get into too much detail on that subject. As Bitsplosion said often "Let's talk about something different."

Hovo 10-14-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreakShow9807 (Hozzászólás 30224999)
Since I was around them they offered it to me, but I only took one Riot Graves skin code to give to my friend. I already had both of the skins, so I didn't want to take them from other people who still needed the skins.

Also, the traffic was... not as to my pleasure, let's say that. I won't get into too much detail on that subject. As Bitsplosion said often "Let's talk about something different."

LOL that's actually really nice of you.

The drive only took you 2.5 hours though??? O.O I can't quite comprehend that, living in LA and all.