League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   E-Sports/Competitive Scene: How Do? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2662942)

VileBlade 10-10-2012 12:47 PM

E-Sports/Competitive Scene: How Do?

Fellow Summoners!

I come to you in a time of great need!

I have been playing LoL for 2 years now, with over 3300 games under my belt. My love for this game, Riot as a company, and e-Sports in general has lead me to the conclusion that I NEED to be part of this community as a career.

But...how does one go about doing so? I have no Caster experience, no professional-level friends, no contacts, just nothing. With that being said, am I screwed? It seems to me that the top-echelon of the LoL community is very close knit, and being without a super-****ing-high ELO or a large viewer base (streamers) would make it very difficult to accomplish what I aspire to do.

If ANYONE has ANY experience in what I'm looking to go forward with, I beg of you to just drop a tip or two. I'm on LoL literally all-day every-day. Was just laid off from my last job and am looking to go back to school, particularly in a field that would greatly increase my chances of entering the e-Sports community. Needless to say, I have a lot of spare time.

IGN: VileBlade

Thank you in advance, ye who reply! :D

On a side note: http://www.vvv-gaming.com/ looks like a fantastic opportunity, but I don't have much to contribute to the community currently.

xMamoo 10-10-2012 01:00 PM

Look for teams recruiting and help them get to high ELO's, also streaming helps you become known easier.

Zynz 10-10-2012 01:01 PM

giveaway lots of rps on your stream and more ppl will watch them :D

okay so mostly i just want free rp

VileBlade 10-10-2012 01:35 PM

I appreciate the heads up :)

Keep 'em comin' folks!

AidanNaut 10-10-2012 01:37 PM

streaming, mainly. commenting on your own play helps you build caster experience.

Acetaminophen 10-10-2012 01:43 PM

When planning for any career, you have to lay out your plan. You said you have aspirations, but can you clearly define it for yourself? What areas can you immediately bring value to? What areas do you want to develop in order to be a contributor.

To be in eSports, you do not need to be very high Elo, or just have high Elo friends. The number of professional players is only a fraction of all the parties involved. Most people involved work on the logistics and operations that keeps the wheels turning. There are also so many hardworking people in the community working on content creation as well.

If you truly want to shape your career, then you need to really devote some time and really think it through.

VileBlade 10-10-2012 02:16 PM

Many thanks Ace!

Yeah, I have a LOT of mapping to do in the next couple days.

The one thing that's keeping me from looking to go competitive in play is the pay-scale, if any at all. It's what I would love most, but let's be honest, the cash-flow really isn't there unless you're one of the very, very tippity-top tier teams. Being 24 years old, as much as I hate to say it, they pay WILL matter. I have a wife (who supports me 100%), so it's not just my lively-hood I need to consider, but hers as well.

With that being said, I have a very strong personality for casting, which is what I'm looking into currently.

Again, I GREATLY appreciate all the help and wisdom from my fellow Summoners. You don't understand how much this insight means to me right now.

VileBlade 10-10-2012 02:18 PM

With what you guys at Riot are looking to do with Season 3, it's looking more and more promising for up-and-coming pro players though.

Serious Kudo's. This is why I love Riot as much as I do. Trailblazing e-Sports one season at a time!

Porkbellytacos 10-10-2012 02:22 PM

I feel you vile.

For me, I am starting to research parlaying my JD/Lawyer License (passed the bar last monday!) into doing something with eSports representation.

We can dream...

Dark Technique 10-10-2012 02:22 PM

Thinking of learning C++ and joining Riot as a programmer, you think they'd accept me? Currently a junior and planning taking CS next year then heading off to college.