League of Legends Community
12345 ... 10

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   I am already 17 and my parents still do this... Is this a problem? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2647609)

ownsya11 10-06-2012 03:53 AM

I am already 17 and my parents still do this... Is this a problem?

I finish school next year and my parents still keep track of and limit my computer usage. They have been very strict about this ever since I was a kid.

Before I can even use the computer, I have to ask them to unlock it first. They have locked every computer, laptop, iPad and iPhone in the house with a password to make sure I can't get in.

Then, I am only allowed on the computer to do homework and within a time limit too. It’s about an hour before they kick me off the computer. My parents look up every now and then to make sure I'm not doing anything else a part from homework.

I am never allowed to go on gaming/social networking websites or any site for that matter that isn't homework related. And when I say never, I mean NEVER – not on holidays, weekends, NEVER. Because of this, I was forced to uninstall lol last week.

What’s their reason behind this? Apparently looking at the computer is harmful to the brain and the eyes, despite the fact that I am only allowed to use the computer for little over an hour a day. I tried telling them that lol was like an outlet for stress from all my schoolwork, but they refuse to listen. I doubt I can ever reason with them.

If I want to go on any sites like this, I have to have my homework open in another window and quickly alternate between the two windows when they step in the room. I also have to make sure to clear all the history on exit, which is painfully monotonous. Or, if I’m lucky I can wait for my parents to accidentally leave a computer logged on just as they leave the house. But then I have to time my usage to make sure the computer sleeps before they come back in order to avoid suspicion.

Nobody at my school has had this hindrance with their computer usage. All of my friends can go on the computer anytime they want, with no limitations. Most have a laptop or computer sitting in their bedroom.

…Is this a big problem? Are my parents abnormal? Again, let me remind you that I have already 17 and am leaving school to go to UNI next year. I am no longer a child.

EDIT: I get good grades: mostly A’s, sometimes B’s, rarely C’s and have never failed. I also do chores around the house every Sunday and work a part time job. Although I’m not allowed to spend any of the money I earn on computer games, obviously.

EDIT: Unlike American college, Australian UNI doesn't have dorms. You go home at the end of your lesson. So I am pretty much 100% dependent on my parents until I graduate and get a real job.

Tyhan 10-06-2012 03:56 AM

Sounds like your parents are far too unreasonable and you should cut off all contact with them when you leave for university. Let them stew until summer and then tell them they deserved it when you go back home. That'll teach 'em.

Gringo 10-06-2012 03:57 AM

Wow, I'm a teenager and I have the freedom.

Although, I complete my work and I get the additional benefits from it.

But if I don't, then you can expect me not to be here for at least a week.

You're unlucky, the feels.

I am the Luxray 10-06-2012 03:58 AM

My parents did this to me as well, but not to this extreme. Once you're in UNI, it gets a lot better obviously. Think you can wait till then?

Mega Sceptile 10-06-2012 03:58 AM

My friend is 20 and her parents don't even let her out of the house. She still lives with them because she's going to university, but the school is close enough that she wasn't eligible for dorms or something retarded like that. It's pretty ****ty.

VMan7 10-06-2012 03:59 AM

Wow, your parents suck.

I thought I had it bad when they wanted me in the house on schooldays at 10pm while my friends all got to stay up till 12-1 if they wanted.

Tyhan 10-06-2012 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenericDragon (Hozzászólás 29937843)
My friend is 20 and her parents don't even let her out of the house. She still lives with them because she's going to university, but the school is close enough that she wasn't eligible for dorms or something retarded like that. It's pretty ****ty.

She's an adult, they can't stop her from doing what she wants. Tell her to stop being a wuss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VMan7 (Hozzászólás 29937849)
Wow, your parents suck.

I thought I had it bad when they wanted me in the house on schooldays at 10pm while my friends all got to stay up till 12-1 if they wanted.

I was once dragged down the stairs and stepped on because I had a migraine and didn't want to go to school. I mean to be fair, I missed a lot of school thanks to chronic migraines and that usually did not happen, but it happening even once is enough to be worrisome. My mom still fails to understand how she is one of the largest factors why I have no motivation to do anything. It's blatantly obvious with the way she treats my little brother who recently was trying to finish highschool a year early but now doesn't care because of how much of a ***** my mom gets about everything.

Mikard 10-06-2012 03:59 AM

That seems extremely unfair, however; there seems to be little you can do other than leave home once you turn 18. Truth is, there's nothing a teenager like us can do against whatever stupid rule our parents set.

I myself, am 15 and I plan to leave home ASAP really, i've saved up work money over the last 5 years and counting to prepare for that.

However, your situation seems much less dire seeing as how it's an internet problem concerning parents, so i'm not exactly sure whether it's worth the hassle.

Scarlet Flandre 10-06-2012 03:59 AM

is it a problem naw, is it a pain in the ass yeah
once you move out it'll get better :D

L2p Noob Dnt Rnk 10-06-2012 03:59 AM

They dont want you play, they want your focus on the study, is not bad, they are thinking on your future, u will say thank you some years later