League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Esports Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   The State of the Current Meta (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2644188)

Yillin 10-05-2012 11:02 AM

The State of the Current Meta

I have not played this game in a good while. Could someone give me a quick paragraph about the current meta or point me in the direction of a site that talks about it in detail?

ninjagear 10-05-2012 12:08 PM

1 ap damage source (normally mage normally mid)

1 ad source of damage (ranged is best, normally bot lane)

1 babbysitter for the ranged ad damage (zero cs support, pref with cc and/or heals)

1 tank that rushes the enemy team (normally top lane or in the jungle)

1 filler

(as i understand it)

rathy Aro 10-05-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjagear (Hozzászólás 29915128)
1 ap damage source (normally mage normally mid)

1 ad source of damage (ranged is best, normally bot lane)

1 babbysitter for the ranged ad damage (zero cs support, pref with cc and/or heals)

1 tank that rushes the enemy team (normally top lane or in the jungle)

1 filler

(as i understand it)

One jungler, who's usually tanky/bruiser.

Rogue Identity 10-05-2012 09:24 PM

The current meta is defined through a series of 5 roles, but many tactics that are currently underlying it.

Currently the popular format is :
A solo top character, normally a bruiser-esque choice. Renekton, Olaf, Yorick, strong initiations and sustain in teamfights, and of course capable of handling themselves in very "unfair" situations (such as possible 2v1 if enemy has no jungler) at top. Currently top is a relatively secluded lane that doesn't have much of any interaction early on rather than just proper trading and csing from the respective other top. Top lane is a very gankable lane, seeing as you're placed on the map where its difficult to get aid from other teammates, so, simpler for ganks to be successful. A strong AP with high sustain has been seen for top lanes as well, such as Kennen and Vladimir.

A mid AP Carry. The AP Carry role is similar to the solo tops, it's a solo lane strategically placed in the center of the map for easier roaming capabilities. A good AP with nice clear can push the lane relatively simple and gank another lane that needs help, or to counter jungle. Mid lane is probably the lane that is ganked the most, due to it being placed relatively close to everything. For AP casters, you want someone that has high nuke ability, so the ganked that you'd possibly do for your team hits hard and you're in and out. Morgana, Ahri, Kassadin, are all strong examples.

A Jungler. A jungler's role is for the "surprise" factor of the laning phase. Since you have a jungler, it provides 2 solo lanes where the laners there can get exp and gold for themselves without having to fight for it, or split exp. The current jungle is a lot easier than the previous one, so sustaining isn't nearly as hard. There are many different ways to play a jungler, there are highly aggressive gank orientated ones, and ones that are more focused on clearing and leveling. Nocturne, Lee Sin, and Udyr are great examples of junglers, they had high mobility and are very versatile in fights. Utility as a jungler is of utter importance.

Duo Bot Lane:
AD Carry. An AD Carry is your game-ender. It is your slowly charging laser that will entirely wipe everything else away. You're best bet is to have him/her be ranged, and i wouldn't advise you doing anything else but that. It's a very mechanical intensive role, where constant csing and harrassing is of utter importance, if you can pick apart their laser before they pick apart yours will change the game entirely. Graves, Ezreal, and Corki seem to be the preferred picks as of recently.

Support. This is your babysitter in botlane. You hold the ad carry's hand through everything. He wants a ward? get him a ward. He wants a heal? heal him. There are many different ways to play support. Passively, and Aggressively. A passive support, such as Soraka or Janna, sit there and makes sure their AD carry is happy with heals, spell shields, and cc, until the laser is done charging. Aggressive supports, such as Blitzcrank or Alistar, try their best to destroy the enemy laser before it charges, or hinders their progress as much as possible.

NOTE THAT THIS ISN'T ABSOLUTE,
it is just a general outline of what I feel the meta is currently in blind picks, of course it differentiates in different ELO's, and a lot more intense in professional gaming.

Parthonaxx 10-05-2012 09:27 PM

The Meta? Tankiest team wins.

Xtreme Chaos 10-06-2012 01:26 PM

Duo top lanes and solo bots now.

Phenomenaut 10-06-2012 01:34 PM

AP Mid
Bruiser/Tank Top
Jungler
AD Bot
Support Bot

Same as it has been for a while, except that the most recent trend is to let give wraiths over entirely to mid lane instead of jungling it consistently. Junglers are making do with less and less gold and building more support.