League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Should Riot educate new players more? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2619098)

Fisharox 09-27-2012 06:46 PM

Should Riot educate new players more?

G'day

Ive been playing lol for three months now and my role is jungling. Malphite and Rammus are my fav's. However i have a big problem. their is a lack of people willing to leash for me/ dont know what a leash is. And the ones that do leash dont know how to. There have been multiple times where my the mid laner has died from Golem and has blamed it on me. But this got me thinking, should Riot make more of an effort to educate newbies.

A great way to do this is having a list of commonly used abreviations and their uses, available in the launcher. This would be a great addition as Newbies would learn early to start calling their mia's and what buffs are.

Another Great addition would be a better explanation on how to build champions, such as what Champions need CDR or what Champions should never be built with ap. I beleive this would definitely reduce the amount of AP ashe's ( I see this alot, makes me lol so hard).

Please post another thoughts 0_O

mistmann 09-27-2012 06:53 PM

i like this idea like a collection of videos that exsplain the basics

Teddy the Feeder 09-27-2012 07:02 PM

yeah an explanation what the current meta is would be nice for new players.

Fox Knows Best 09-27-2012 07:34 PM

um...

Um there are thousands of videos on the internet explaining how to play. Thats how I learned alot. If you think about it riot has recommended builds that no one uses. Why would riot be able to make anything more informative than people who dont work for riot.

Turb0 09-27-2012 07:41 PM

mobafire, solomid, championselect, the freakin league of legends website, the popup asking if you want to play the tutorial when you start out, youtube

Warmonster9 09-27-2012 08:22 PM

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/learn/gameplay/tactics

Was I the only person who used this?

Aureline 09-28-2012 06:34 AM

This is a great idea! I know when I started playing, there was a lot of common stuff I had no idea about. I thought "ks" meant "kill streak" rather than stealing, so I'd constantly be like, "hey nice ks (:" when someone was doing a good job, thinking, you know, it was congratulating them.

Yes, there are a great number of resources out there for players to learn more about the current meta. That isn't the issue. The issue is new players realizing that there's so much more to learn aside from just the normal tutorial games.

You can't expect a fresh-faced player to think to themselves - "wow, I should go to _____ and read up on leashing, calling MIAs, warding, proper building, and countering!" because in the tender levels of 1-5 or so, they just don't even know those are things to consider!

The only question I would have about this is as follows - at what point is the meta considered just the meta, rather than the nuts-and-bolts things that a player would need to learn about the game?

We as new players are familiar with the core concept that to win the game, you need to kill lots of enemies, take towers, take inhibitors, and blow up the enemy Nexus. Those are the objectives to winning the games. The other things, leashing, situational builds, knowing terms and abbreviations, are those something that the playerbase has just come up with and attributed to the game, therefore being separate from Riot's plan for the game, or is it something that should be their responsibility to teach?

My last point is more of a legitimate question. I've only been a part of the community for less than a year, so I don't know if these more subjective things are just something the players have come up with, or if Riot pushes for it in the game itself.

Kewiwawa 09-28-2012 08:25 AM

I agree with this, there should be a more complete tutorial, with advanced techniques. For those who get to play, do not feel bad because there are many people who insult and degrade as they do not know how to play well