League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   New Player Forum (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Rude people at early levels (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2571520)

I am not phoenix 09-13-2012 01:56 PM

Rude people at early levels

I have been playing on a smurf account so some of my friends who are actually new to the game have a better chance. I also use it to try to learn new characters some times so i don't get flamed at on my normal account. This, of course, isn't always the case.

I don't understand why people at lower level accounts (mainly smurfs) are so incredibly rude. I have experienced a huge number of players, who say some rude comment because some brand new players are feeding (usually because they are obviously new to the game) and then leave the game. Why not be constructive instead and try to guide new players instead of rage quitting and ruining the game for the rest of the team? The new players are the ones who make the community what it will be and being rude to them is not going to culminate the type of community i particularly want to be a part of.

If you are going to say something to a player that has messed up, politely give them a suggestion as to what they could have done differently and leave it at that. If they take your advice, you've just aided them in becoming a better player and hopefully they will give similar advice to others. When you rage at another player, they are more likely to rage back, then carry it over to other games. S*** rolls down hill as the saying goes.

"HTTL: Gain Elo through your Mindset..." on youtube gives great advice about ranked, but it translates well to normal games. I think i'm going to be more liberal with my mute button from here on.

LowlyingLemur 09-13-2012 02:04 PM

Sounds like you are asking why some people like to make other people suffer. I really can't offer any rational explanation for this. (EDIT: looks like some studies have been done. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schaden...ntific_studies)

Given that those people exist, though, its perfectly logical that there are so many low level griefer smurfs. Its better to troll on a level one acct on which a ban means next to nothing than on a level 20+ acct that would take a long time to replace.

Giannoulias 09-13-2012 02:13 PM

It's because those are all the people who are pissed off because their level 30 got banned -- for raging -- and now they are trying to level to 30 again, and don't want to deal with people who are leveling to 30 for the first time. Jerks. I hated smurfs when I was like level 5, they were so mean....

Smoosey 09-13-2012 07:51 PM

Im a newer player, and mostly dont have much of an issue with other players. But occasionally you get a rude smurf who just likes to be a jerk to all the new players. i know im not fantastic as a player, but i want to be and these smurfs sometimes make me just want to quit rather than keep improving myself.

Spleezy 09-13-2012 09:56 PM

its the E-thug mentality. Feeling tough on the Internet gives them that much needed bravery, self-esteem boost, and E-peen growth they so very much need. Dont let it get to you man, its part of the game unfortunately.

ACGIFT 09-14-2012 06:27 AM

Keep in mind that a LOT of people, even otherwise decent folk, have the chance, thanks to the Internet, to be transformed into a seething, raging troll; that wall of pixels can easily obscure and help them forget the fact that on the other side, there's another human being just like them.

Hence, it's also important when playing to keep a cool head, and avoid anything that could provoke them. Simple wording can make a HUGE difference; someone who rages and flames when you tell them "omg u feeding noob" might be the same player who, instead, would respond thoughtfully if you requested they "be more careful, avoid initiating alone, and simply defend and farm for now." (this I've found is the best strategy to help stop a feeder from hemorrhaging and making things worse) Same thing goes in newbie matches when someone takes the lane you'd called already: in 90% of cases a polite "please go (top/mid/bot)" will work, while a "omg noob i already called this lane!" will fail much, much more often.

Jeanschyso 09-14-2012 06:33 AM

haha I am a phoenix, you are completely right!

I will sometimes join a match solo queue on a smurf account to balance the mood and give tips to random people... I don't really understand what makes someone be rude to a new player in any game.

Daemous 11-19-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowlyingLemur (Hozzászólás 29221486)
Its better to troll on a level one acct on which a ban means next to nothing than on a level 20+ acct that would take a long time to replace.

Actually I'd prefer for someone who is trolling on purpose to get their level 20+ account banned, not their low level or smurf account. Why? Because the more you lose when you get punished the more impact it's going to have on them and the less they lose, the less of an impact on them the punishment is going to have on them.

Think about it. If something devastating happened to you IRL because of someone else and it's their fault, would you like it if their punishment they got was just a "slap on the wrist" or would you like that they got the punishment that they truly deserve?

Trolls need to stop being cowards by making smurf accounts so that you can troll people from the safety of a alt account. If certain players are going to troll other players who play the game, be "man" enough to do it on your main account or don't do it at all.

Kismettle 11-19-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemous (Hozzászólás 31599826)
Actually I'd prefer for someone who is trolling on purpose to get their level 20+ account banned, not their low level or smurf account. Why? Because the more you lose when you get punished the more impact it's going to have on them and the less they lose, the less of an impact on them the punishment is going to have on them.

Think about it. If something devastating happened to you IRL because of someone else and it's their fault, would you like it if their punishment they got was just a "slap on the wrist" or would you like that they got the punishment that they truly deserve?

Stop being a coward making smurf accounts so that you can troll people from the safety of a alt account. If you are going to troll other players who play the game, be "man" enough to do it on your main account or don't do it at all.

Lemur is just pointing out why it makes sense that there are a lot of lower leveled trolls/smurfs/jerks--because they have much less to lose.

I've been playing less than a week and have already encountered a few jerks. It's annoying when I'm trying to have fun and learn more about the game at the same time. For instance, before a match started a player just typed "mid," and I asked what that meant exactly--was she/he claiming that lane for the entire match?--and a player responded with "blablablabla."

Daemous 11-19-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kismettle (Hozzászólás 31600957)
Lemur is just pointing out why it makes sense that there are a lot of lower leveled trolls/smurfs/jerks--because they have much less to lose.

I've been playing less than a week and have already encountered a few jerks. It's annoying when I'm trying to have fun and learn more about the game at the same time. For instance, before a match started a player just typed "mid," and I asked what that meant exactly--was she/he claiming that lane for the entire match?--and a player responded with "blablablabla."

I changed my post since I realized that It kinda sounded like I was targeting the player I quoted which was not my intent. I was referring to anyone who trolls other players.