League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   On the originality of various LoL champions. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=251622)

Atalasia 09-16-2010 04:29 PM

On the originality of various LoL champions.

Champions

Champion Name:
Ezreal

Roots:
Gulliver, from anime Gulliver Boy(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulliver_Boy)

Similarities:
-Wears a magic glove that shoots magical energies.
-He's an adventurer/explorer

Champion Name:
Sona

Roots:
Hatsune Miku, from a vocaloid(software that sings if a musical score is entered)

Similarities:
-Hair Style, Hair Color
-They both sing

Champion Name:
Pantheon

Roots:

Similarities:
-General clothes and the concept.
-He's from Stanpar (switch the position of n and r. then switch the position of t and p)

Items

-Youmuu's Ghostblade

-Wriggle's Lantern

(Not even going to bother. Just look it up)

If it's a general world that it took, I really don't mind. Like Lovecraftian world and ninjas. But really did LoL have to degrade to the state where it has to take stuff from a specific anime/character?

I never thought originality was a strong point of LoL, but I beg. Let's stop this.

Stenchrot 09-16-2010 04:34 PM

so?

Cold Fusion 09-16-2010 04:37 PM

Pantheon clearly isn't based on 300 at all. GG sir.

RiotBabagahnoosh 09-16-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atalasia (Hozzászólás 2948309)
Champions
If it's a general world that it took, I really don't mind. Like Lovecraftian world and ninjas. But really did LoL have to degrade to the state where it has to take stuff from a specific anime/character?

I never thought originality was a strong point of LoL, but I beg. Let's stop this.

If a game world where nods to pop culture isn't something you dig, then I can tell you right now that you won't like how LoL's story will develop over the coming years. I for one an a pop culture fiend, and I know that my compatriots here are into it as well.

You may think originality isn't a strong point of LoL, and by all means you're entitled to your opinion. I never claimed that we're making Shakespeare. What I hope we're making, however, is a world that people can identify with and have fun in, provided it isn't the same fantasy talk-to-the-dude-in-the-tavern-and-start-your-quest stories that's been forced down our throats for years.

I will say this specifically, however: Sona's name has everything to do with sound and nothing to do with whatever Hatsune Miku is. Honestly, I've never heard of that. I assume it's an anime thing?

I ran into a similar issue when I worked on World of Warcraft. In games where pop culture references are used, the accuracy of disseminated information found on wiki sites as to the roots and sources of characters and items are not very accurate. Honestly though, I don't think they should be. A designer may put in a very personal reference that means a lot to them that others aren't supposed to get. As an example, I named a troll in WoW after my late father. I did it as an anagram, and I doubt anyone will ever figure out who it is. I don't care if they do - it's my nod to my dad. Look at it like it's a perk for being a designer.

We're all inspired by the events that affect us in our lives - one way or another. To ask someone not to reflect that in the creative work they do is a challenge, to say the least. Personally, it's creative work I'm not interested in doing.

Aqueel 09-16-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh (Hozzászólás 2948578)
As an example, I named a troll in WoW after my late father. I did it as an anagram, and I doubt anyone will ever figure out who it is. I don't care if they do - it's my nod to my dad. Look at it like it's a perk for being a designer.

Queue the swarm of fans joining WoW now to find said troll.

Also, to the OP: I'm pretty sure Ezreal is SUPPOSED to be a stereotypical anime pretty-boy. Hell, he even does the Haruhi Suzumiya end theme dance.

Quote:

Champion Name:
Sona

Roots:
Hatsune Miku, from a vocaloid(software that sings if a musical score is entered)

Similarities:
-Hair Style, Hair Color
-They both sing

Sona is mute and can't sing >_>

Necromonger 09-16-2010 05:22 PM

Hatsune Miku has a whole other cult of followers, like Morde... but they're MUCH MORE dangerous. If you take the time to check out her vids on Youtube (thousands of them really) I can't help but see visual similarities with Sona. The hair for one, is similar, if not exactly the same.

Some of her popular titles are - "Last Night, Good Night" , "Melt", "Love is War", "World is Mine", "Saihate" to name a few. I kid you not, if you dig anime, you will kneel before the idea that is Miku.

Wriggle 09-16-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

-Wriggle's Lantern

(Not even going to bother. Just look it up)

Nope, I can't find any non-League-of-Legends-related information on a person named Wriggle that has a lantern, could you be more specific please?

Cold Fusion 09-16-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wriggle (Hozzászólás 2950121)
Nope, I can't find any non-League-of-Legends-related information on a person named Wriggle that has a lantern, could you be more specific please?

Touhou or something like that.

Lowki 09-16-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cold Fusion (Hozzászólás 2950138)

I think you're missing the joke brah.

T L M 09-16-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cold Fusion (Hozzászólás 2950138)

Having played ALL the touhous (heh,) I can tell you it is NOT from touhou.