League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hi there. I'm Kades. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2485067)

Kades 08-17-2012 12:01 AM

Hi there. I'm Kades.

Hi there,

I'm Kades.

I pronounce it with one syllable: "Kayds".

I thought I'd stop by the forums, introduce myself, and see if there was anything I might be able to help shed some light on. Which is both fun and a bit intimidating for me since it's easy to remember lurking these forums for years as a player- and now I'm in the (sorta surreal) position to be posting as a red.

A bit about me, I've been at Riot as a Gameplay Analyst for the past few months, but I've been an avid player since Beta.

I like hockey.

I love board games.

I'm an amateur magician with a strong emphasis on the 'amateur'.

I sometimes brew my own beer.

I'm pretty terrible at guitar, but I keep an acoustic hung up on my wall because it makes me feel cooler than I really am.

I get a little nervous when I work with Jesse Perring- even though in all my interactions, he's never been anything but relaxed, amiable, and very low-key.

I'm a terrible cook.

I have an irrational fear of elevators- but my rationale fear of climbing stairs helps me to keep that in check.

I met my wife because- on a whim- I took a Swing Dance class. Not because I had any illusions that I might be a good dancer (I'm not), but because as a weird quirk, I enjoy doing things I'm not very good at.

In that same vein, I'm not particularly good at League of Legends, but I enjoy that, too. Or maybe more accurately, it's easy for me to look around at my betters and think "wow, I'm terrible at this game". And then smile about it. There's always someone better.

I love reading fantasy.

I work with an intimidating amount of very, very smart people. It's like that old poker saying, "If you look around the table and can't spot the sucker- you're probably it." I'll often think of that when I'm sitting in some of my meetings. Sometimes over and over again in the same meeting.

Oh! And RiotShantzilla is my mortal enemy. I don't want to get into specifics, but it involves the deepest of betrayals, a missing tuna fish sandwich, and Shantzilla's blatant disregard for his coworker's lunch. So if you bump into him on the street or something, give him the 'stink-eye'. He'll know what it's about.

Edit: Hi there. Kades-from-the-Future, here. Lots of people are asking the same questions in response to this post, and while I've replied to these- the thread is growing a bit unwieldy to search through my responses and I'm not sure the "Next Red" function was fully working at the start of this thread. So I'll answer a few of the common ones here:

I like hockey. My favorite team is the Dallas Stars. It's been a painful decade to be a Stars fan, but I'm no fair-weather fan. With them through the good times and bad...!

I love board games. Especially 'nerdy' games. A few that I like are "Puerto Rico", "Dominion", "Catan", "Carcassone", "Shadows Over Camelot", "Ticket to Ride", "Cards Against Humanity", "7 Wonders", "Diplomacy", and the "A Game of Thrones: Board Game". That's a partial list- I love games.

I love reading fantasy. Some of my favorite series/authors include George R.R. Martin, Weiss and Hickman, Tolkien, Brust, Rothfuss, Abercrombie, Erickson, and I think that Scott Lynch has had one of the best debut novels I've read in a long time.

Again, these are all just my opinions- and I'm only adding this to the initial post because the same few questions keep getting asked over and over again- which is cool- but easily avoidable if I streamline it by doing this. Cheers!

General Nashor 08-17-2012 12:02 AM

Nice to meetcha :D

Dunse 08-17-2012 12:03 AM

Ello Gov'nor

Kades 08-17-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sincest (Hozzászólás 28338175)
Nice to meetcha :D

Nice to meet you, too. :)

Manslaughter 08-17-2012 12:04 AM

What do you do as a gameplay analyst? I mean specifically... not "analyze games". Oh, and greetings!

YDemon 08-17-2012 12:04 AM

ha, a new riot empolyee

FENXFalls 08-17-2012 12:05 AM

Well hello. :O

Shakenspear 08-17-2012 12:05 AM

How do you like Riot so far?

YDemon 08-17-2012 12:05 AM

one qucik question, when is rengar going to hit the store?

YDemon 08-17-2012 12:06 AM

and why not RiotKades?