League of Legends Community
12

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   @Riotbab (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=244373)

Koragon 09-11-2010 01:30 PM

@Riotbab
 
What choices did you have to make to obtain the career path of Creative Designer.

I have been looking to pursue this career path, but I'm not sure where to start.
And you accept internships? I have always been compelled by the Lore in which LoL has been made from.

Just a few questions, Lead Summoner Bab.

RiotBabagahnoosh 09-17-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koragon (Hozzászólás 2861932)
What choices did you have to make to obtain the career path of Creative Designer.

I have been looking to pursue this career path, but I'm not sure where to start.
And you accept internships? I have always been compelled by the Lore in which LoL has been made from.

Just a few questions, Lead Summoner Bab.

Not sure I can provide a specific path for you, but I can riff a little bit on my background.

My focus is being a designer, with the creative stuff coming along for the ride. That's the best way to describe it. I've spent the bulk of my career trying to become a better designer. That means spending a lot of time working on areas that aren't my "core strength" - statistics, balance weighting, etc. The creative stuff has tended to come naturally for me. While I need to work at the creative just like everything else, I need to focus every day on all aspects of design.

My college work (Theater, English) has helped me immensely, especially the Theater work (believe it or not). Understanding characters and their motivations has helped me to become a (I hope) better storyteller.

Being a pop culture junkie hasn't hurt me at all in this gig. You just need to control it with a degree (or several) of moderation.

We currently have an internship for Creative Design - check it out and see if you qualify: http://www.riotgames.com/careers/creative-design-intern

Contrasttoflife 09-17-2010 09:52 AM

I'm assuming its not an intern where you could work from a distance ie thorough phone and email. Thus is really only worth it to those who live in the LA area?

RiotBabagahnoosh 09-17-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrasttoflife (Hozzászólás 2959468)
I'm assuming its not an intern where you could work from a distance ie thorough phone and email. Thus is really only worth it to those who live in the LA area?

The position requires you to work at Riot Games HQ, which is in Los Angeles.

I've been doing this sort of gig for 17 years now, and I've lived in like 3005 different places. This line of work turns you into a nomad. Admittedly, though, I'm on a new streak - I've been living in southern California since March 2004! (Not in the same place, however - that would be crazy talk~)

True Fire Rune 09-17-2010 12:16 PM

For the internship requirements, if your planning on doing some of the tasks that will get you one of your four points, does it still count?

For example, I'm part of a creative writing club at my university, and am working on multiple short stories, with the goal of 1 getting published in a local literary journal.

RiotBabagahnoosh 09-17-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Fire Rune (Hozzászólás 2961614)
For the internship requirements, if your planning on doing some of the tasks that will get you one of your four points, does it still count?

For example, I'm part of a creative writing club at my university, and am working on multiple short stories, with the goal of 1 getting published in a local literary journal.

Bring it to our attention in the resume or the cover letter.

I can't emphasize how important the cover letter is. It's a chance for you to showcase yourself in areas that the resume would never appropriately do. It's a direct monologue to a hiring manager!

Koragon 09-17-2010 09:04 PM

I am definitely interested in becoming an intern.
I will check it out.
Thanks mate =)

Koragon 09-19-2010 01:36 PM

Two more questions Mr. Bab.

1.) Would this be a paid or non paid Internship?
2.) Is giving more then the required 250 pages of work (As well as a biogrophy on a character) acceptable?
3.) Will I be able to meet with you at WCG in Los Angeles by chance?

Contrasttoflife 09-20-2010 07:26 AM

Would be a dream job but moving from state to another is a bit of stretch just for a internship.

RiotBabagahnoosh 09-20-2010 08:08 AM

All questions that you might have are covered in the job description: http://www.riotgames.com/careers/creative-design-intern

Also, we're looking for an Associate Creative Designer: http://www.riotgames.com/careers/ass...ative-designer


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:53 PM.
12


(c) 2008 Riot Games Inc