League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] A Comprehensive Guide to Being, and Controlling with Rammus (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=24356)

Jonas Sterling 11-10-2009 01:49 PM

[Guide] A Comprehensive Guide to Being, and Controlling with Rammus

The Mundo guide will have to wait, this little hero screams for some attention.

This Guide will cover the three main Points of the Old THR saying, PPP. Aka.

-> Persistance
->Pressure
->Pushing

I will include a basic Spell/Mastery choice and skill/item build, but the main focus of this guide is how to play Mr. Rammus, not how to build him. Hopefully, Rammus' everywhere will hail this guide as a true resource to their success.

I, Pre-Game
To start things off, let's hit the Mastery Tree. Currently, the best way to build Rammus is with what he does best, defensive and utility masteries. I'm going bold here, and saying Tenacity is just a little overkill, so a solid 0/16/15 build is in order. Here's the detailed mastery tree.

Defense:
1/3 Resistance, 3/3 Hardiness
4/4 Evasion
1/1 Nimbleness, 3/3 Hardened Skin
3/4 Veteran's Scars, 1/1 Imp. Cleanse (Thanks for the call Major, post #5 for reference.)

Utility:
1/1 Spatial Accuracy, 3/3 Good Hands
4/4 Awareness
1/1 Greed, 3/3 Meditation
3/3 Quickness

The Defensive masteries just make Rammus a bit more durable, The Evasion will be combined with Ninja Tabi for increased effectiveness and Scars definately increases his survivability and overall performance early game.

The Utility masteries are simple, and effecient. Quickness shines on Rammus, as it increases his speed in Rollout considerably. I veered from the 5% Mana, it seems Meditation and his base mana does the job well inbetween teleporting. We veer from Perseverance because we're not going for any Regen items, and 4% of Rammus' base health regeneration is only 2/3 per 5.

Your Spells for 99.9% of games should always be Cleanse/Teleport. Rammus is a beast, but a hold or a stun can ruin his potential in a group gank. It also helps him survive early game. Teleport on the other hand is just as offensive as it is utility. Jumping to a hero-empty lane and Tremoring an undefended tower with a few creeps is always good.

II. Early Game
To start off the game, buy a Cloth Armor and Two of each Potion.

Early game laning is important, and it's also important you follow this skill build to play Rammus how he's meant to be played. He does not get kills easily, but he sets up very well and just doesn't go away. To exploit this as best you can, go this simple skill build.

1. Puncturing Taunt
2. Defensive Curl
3. Puncturing Taunt
4. Rollout
5. Defensive Curl
6. Meditat- I mean Tremors.

Also, you should have an appropriate laning partner. Try to find one of these heroes:

1. Twitch. Twitch Twitch Twitch. Twitch.
2. Sion.
3. Ryze.
4. Morgana.

In every case for these four heroes, your Taunt will be the opening move in an attempt of a gank. Note, that Taunt should NEVER be used without Curl up unless you need that extra 1-2 seconds in early game to pull a gank off. It will not end as well as you want it to most of the time.

For Twitch, the rotation is simple. Taunt -> Open from Ambush -> Dehib. Poison -> Expunge -> Rollout -> Taunt -> Dehib. Poison, repeat. The second poison will be on cooldown some, but should not be nessicary.

For Sion, Prep Sion with a Caress and you with Curl -> Taunt -> After Taunt Cryptic Gaze -> Blow Shield -> Rollout. This rips 75% of heroes from level 1-6, and will continue to rip later on. Sion should also have Enrage on, the entire time.

For Ryze, it's the easiest of the three. -> Taunt, -> After Taunt Prison, -> After Prison Rollout, Ryze should be going simple Prison/Overload/Prison/Overload/Prison.

For Morgana, -> Tormented Earth/Taunt -> Morgana runs to get a clear shot, holds after Taunt-> Rollout to chase. Another simple, but oh so effecient combo.

^ Yes, some of these are a given and there are more heroes that combo with him, but these are just examples. If you come up with your own/have an epic experience with another laning hero, post them here!

Another few important Tips to engage in ganks if the opposing heroes just don't want Rammus near them. It's called Reving. Simple, really. You find a nice secluded spot, like a Brush spot or off map, and Activate Rollout. After 3-4 seconds of standing still, and building up movement speed, then you charge your enemy with about 4 seconds left of Rollout to guide you. It's a little tricky, but easily learned. This eliminates the ability to Rollout during a gank for a slow, however. So only use it if you have too. Shotguning a Rollout will always be better in early ganks than Reving them up.

At the end of end-game, you should have turned that Cloth Armor into a Ninja Tabi and have a Heart of Gold, along wtih some chump change.

III. Mid Game and Ganking Presnece
During Mid-game, Rammus needs to farm up a few very expensive items, AND push towers to the ground, AND be there for his team to suppress ganks. He's got a lot on his list, but this guide's just the trick to get it done.

A. Farming and Items

The first item you should farm up is a Thornmail. It's a cheap way to give Rammus damage, and improves his taunting ability somewhat. It's a fairly underpowered item, and Defensive curl's Armor reduces the damage it returns (but then again, it's reducing the damage -you- take, so it's just as good.)

Directly afterwards, my god is it important to get him a Guardian Angel. Now, this is when the build seems unconventional. "No health? Bad build!" Absolutely not. Rammus has fairly good health gain a level (76), though not as pretty as Allistar or Mundo, his survivability is just as strong as theirs. The sooner you get a Guardian Angel, the sooner you become a ganking collossus, and this is how. (Also, getting it at level 11-14 means you'll get a good 8-10 charges out of it in a long game). Be Persistant. Defensive Curl is your best friend, and lets you jungle like a fiend when combined with Thornmail. Never leave Jungle creeps up, and tank Dragon for a friend if nessicary, but keep money flowing.

B. Ganking and Counterganking

Rammus in a gank is nasty. He's not the first target on everyone's **** list, but with the right placement you'll be forcing the entire gank on your spikey ass. To initiate a gank, simply rollout into the lonesome hero with backup behind you, and DO NOT blow taunt early, but curl up. If there's two (and it isn't considered a gank if it's more than 2 heroes you're attacking) hti Tremors and go to town. Be the only target for the first few seconds of the gank, cause some chaos. You won't die easy less it's a heavy nuking Mage, which is the closest thing to a counter of Rammus early game. Let your friends show up, THEN Taunt, and uncurled you'll be taking more damage, BUT Thornmail is making up for the lack of damage. See the beauty yet? You want Taunt to put out damage in a gank as much as you want it disabling your target. D-Curl can now be used as a defensive utility, and thornmail will do all the damage your group needs to give you an edge in that fight.

Counterganking is where Rammus absolutely shines. He's one big ball of love that wants as much attention as he can get, without overdoing it. The simplicity of this, is that it's not hard to get a lot but not enough.

With a Heart of Gold, Ninja Tabi, Thornmail and Guardian Angel, you are ready to be the brave soldier your team needs you to be. If a lured group of enemy heroes finds it's way into a situation that demands a 5v5 in the woods, simply Jump on, noming on the squishist caster/cannon you can find with Curl up, and Taunt the most threatening melee/tank on you whilst doing so. Tremors it up, keep persistance on that caster and as tempting as it is to blow a Rollout to do extra damage, Save it. A flash or an exhaust on you can mean a cannon getting away. Don't let that happen. No one can stop you with that 3% movement speed passive, and if somehow Janna is in your party (and Teemo is next to you!) your Rollout covers half the map. Chase 'em down, Taunt 'em down, Shut 'em down. Above all else. Keep Persistant. Keep the Pressure on.

C. Pushing
Rammus should have one Mantra when it comes to Pushing, "What Tower?"

This is the simplist but more stressful of the three mid/late-game roles Rammus -must- fill. And he can fill all three. If any Rammus says he can't be a Farmer, a Ganker AND a Pusher, he's not doin' it rite.

The primary situation where Rammus should be pushing is with other people, but the definate second is Teleporting to a sudden friendly-creep-filled lane, hitting tremors and going nuts. There is a simple problem with this, and that is Defending Heroes. You see, Tremors will damage a hero, and in turn grab Tower aggro. This is only a small problem, as Defensive curl nerfs the Towers Damage considerably and makes you hit like a truck, so try to Curl up only after the tower grabs aggro on you, not during a push to get extra damage. You're a survivalist, not a Yi.

As a final item to the end of Mid-Game, try to snag a Sunfire Cloak. I'll go over just how epic Sunfire cloak is later.

IV. End-Game
Rammus is ever-approaching his final dominating stages of the game, where he can be the difference between a made and a broken team. However, this requires you to keep farming. Never stop! Some people think End-game is Gank-Only, Baron baron baron baron. No! Keep farming! And grab Golem often, it means you don't go away. Ever.

The item build thus far is simply. Sell the Heart of Gold at this point if you need that extra gold to produce a second, and eventually a third Sunfire Cloak. Three's all you need, gentlemen. I never want to see another Rammus with six ever, ever again.

...Given, I've never seen one. You get me.

Sunfire Cloak = Rammus' Perfect Item. This is why.

500 Health = 500 Health. Word.
50 Armor = 7.5 Damage, about 4%~ damage reduction at this stage of the game. (Less when curl is up, but that's irrelevant, Curl pops the diminishing return bubble by a few hundred.)
40 Damage Per second = 120 more damage a taunt, + mad DPS in group ganks (Did I not go over how to sit in the middle of five heroes last section?) AND Rollout shenanigans means You're never off target ever.

So. Imagine having three.

...Then Imagine having more than 3, and hit yourself. No. Bad.

The other three items in your inventory should be Guardian Angel, Ninja Tabi, and Banshee's Veil. Why Veil? Because he has no magic Resistance, for one, and in end-game Cleanse alone every group gank doesn't cut it. Plus, it's hillarious to absorb an Ashe Arrow by flinging yourself in front of her and Cleansing a Duress in the mean time. Guardian Angel will always be your best friend, and your poor, overused Thornmail is easily upgraded by another Sunfire.

V. Things to Avoid
Laning double ranged w/ Escapes. You'll get no money early game, there's little chance to gank. Tristiana is a prime example.

Frozen Heart. It's -not- that good on him. All the cooldown reduction you need should come from Blue Runes. Plus, the aura completly and totally gimp the damage Curl will deal. And you're already not getting dealt any damage. Why nerf your own DPS?

Atma's. Great item, not the kind of damage we're going for with Rammus. This build prohibits it. I'm not allowing you to use Atma's. >P

And Finally, Runing for Regen. On either front, it's not that worth it. All your early game regen should be from potions, and all your mid/late game should be, after prolonged wipes of jungles and lanes, at base.

Quote:

Runes! Just for when they come out. Note, that I firmly believe that the best way to rune (Through personal experience, and sheer number crunching) is with things your gear DOES NOT give you.

Red: You have a choice here. Critical Strike is lethal when Curl is up, thus why Impaler is so good on him. But it ruins the idea of being an absolute juggernaut against an entire team.

Yellow: Magic Resist/Health. Do a good mixture, Health over time and Base Magic Resist are the best choices.

Blue: Cooldown reduction over time. Nothing but. No exceptions.

Quint: Either Base Health (39 Health) or Movement Speed. It really isn't that important, but both are very nice in general.
/endguide.

Thanks for Reading, hope this helps! If you're and up-and-coming Nasus player and feel the need for a challenge, check out my Bloody Nasus guide here!

HeyJon 11-10-2009 02:10 PM

pretty decent guide good job 4/5

Ohirume 11-10-2009 07:25 PM

Just played a game with this guide and went 14-4-24 and we won even though two of our team mates were idiots.

Now at least one person hails this guide as a resource to their success. :P

Jonas Sterling 11-10-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoujuuRyu (Hozzászólás 266967)
Just played a game with this guide and went 14-4-24 and we won even though two of our team mates were idiots.

Now at least one person hails this guide as a resource to their success. :P

It was worth writing then.

:]

MajorChipHazzard 11-10-2009 09:08 PM

Frozen mallet can easily replace one of the sunfire capes if your team could use the slow. The extra 40 dps is nice, but frozen mallet + 2 sunfires could be better in some situations.

If you get mallet, try to control the enemy's movement by taunting one and slowing another with your auto attacks, etc.

Early game Chalice before the thornmail is very good in my experience. You'll have your ulti to push towers with more often, and mana to spam all of your skills.

Cleanse/Ghost is just as viable as Cleanse/Teleport. You will be able to use ball curl to move around the map if you have a chalice, and ghost allows you to play more aggressive with the taunt when your ball curl is on cooldown. Teleport is nice as well, but ghost has its advantages.

I'd also take 1 point out of Veteran's Scars and put it towards 30 second cooldown reduction to Cleanse.

Good guide though :)

Jonas Sterling 11-10-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorChipHazzard (Hozzászólás 267119)
Frozen mallet can easily replace one of the sunfire capes if your team could use the slow. The extra 40 dps is nice, but frozen mallet + 2 sunfires could be better in some situations.

If you get mallet, try to control the enemy's movement by taunting one and slowing another with your auto attacks, etc.

Early game Chalice before the thornmail is very good in my experience. You'll have your ulti to push towers with more often, and mana to spam all of your skills.

Cleanse/Ghost is just as viable as Cleanse/Teleport. You will be able to use ball curl to move around the map if you have a chalice, and ghost allows you to play more aggressive with the taunt when your ball curl is on cooldown. Teleport is nice as well, but ghost has its advantages.

I'd also take 1 point out of Veteran's Scars and put it towards 30 second cooldown reduction to Cleanse.

Good guide though :)

I absolutely agree with the cleanse, and the Mallet could, but I've never seen a real reason for it. And the chalice has never been on any item build I make for any Tank or DPS, they can easily grab Golem, not waste money on the chalice itself, and get more mana regen/bonus cooldown+60g a kill every few minutes. There's just a decent chance the golems are dead, in which case I've never had much trouble just blue pilling often. This build farms, and farms good.

Epic feedback though, Need more posters like that.

Bainer 01-11-2010 02:58 PM

Your play style is pretty much spot on. Though I need to disagree with a few things.

3 Sunfire capes are not necessary. Frozen mallet is a better choice for both ganking and team assist - Rammus is an assist master. Thornmail early is a mistake, considering it returns damage, early damage is pretty low. This is a better item to get around level 12-15 when those high dps champs start hitting hard.

Good hands as a mastery is a waste. Rammus, when built as a tank, doesn't die much. He only dies a lot when played poorly or when the other team is fed. 10% reduction on respawn will amount to less than 20 seconds in an average game. I would do more like a 21-9. 4% damage reduction is big when you're soaking damage to do damage, plus you may be your teams initiator so you need that. Going up past 1 pt in greed seems strange.

Just my opinion, so don't take this as me ripping your guide. Good job.

IAMAnthro 04-09-2010 02:21 PM

never played this hero before, just played a game versus a few level 30's and came out with 5/4/15. i love your guide, even if i end up only getting the assists.

Mr Geppetto 04-09-2010 04:05 PM

Very detailed guide from somebody who genuinely enjoys LoL and Rammus.

+1 for now; more feedback when I finish the whole thing.

Gamecmdr 04-09-2010 04:47 PM

you believe a common misconception, in fact there is no diminishing returns for armour.

0 armour 100 health = 100 effective health
50 armour 100 health= 150 effective health (1/3rd reduction = 2/3rd damage raken, 2/3rd of 150 is 100)
100 armour 100 health = 200 effective health (50 percent reduc is 200 effective health)
150 armour 100 health = 250 effective health (3/5th damage reduction = 2/5th damage taken, 2/5th of 250 is 100)

so each point in armour increases effective health against phys damage by 1 percent of your health.

the formula for anyone who doesnt know is
damage reduction = armour/(armour plus 100)