League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Champ/Skin Concepts (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   The Player Concepts Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2431487)

RiotAmes 08-02-2012 10:40 PM

The Player Concepts Community

Welcome to the Player Concepts forum! This forum is a creative outlet for the many talented summoners who wish to flex their skills and have other summoners provide feedback. The goal should not be to have Riot take your idea and put it into the game. The goal is to grow your own ability to design within the creative space that is the League of Legends.

What you'll find here is a community thriving on constructive feedback and personal drive to improve. You'll see a wide range of champion concepts posted by your fellow summoners here. By all means, step in and provide your thoughts on the concepts of others in a helpful way. When you have your own concept, you'll find that the goodwill you create in doing so will inspire others to help you as well.

A popular trend is to post quality feedback, and then request that the original poster also provides feedback for one of your own! I strongly recommend providing reviews- you'll find that by analyzing other concepts, you'll learn what works and what doesn't and become better at creating concepts yourself.

A few of your fellow summoners have been working to create impressive resources aimed at building and growing the community's skills. Here's a few to get you started:

How to Review a Champion - by Jaykoboy
A very helpful guide on how to assist others- and earn their help and respect in the process.

Champion Creation Tips v3 - by Kasumi
An extensive guide detailing how to improve your champion concept. A wealth of information with a handy table of contents so that you can find what you're looking for quickly.

Champion Concept Forum Guides Compilation - by Merylindra
A compilation of guides created by the community, as well as a few useful links to posts made my members of Riot.

Fan Creations: Champion Index 2.0 - by Wulffe
Wulfe calls this "a collection of champions that League of Legends players have created and contributed". I call it impressive. Take a look.

FarahBoom 08-02-2012 10:49 PM

Hey there,
I figured since this is going to basically be a Hub for summoners to begin their creations, i might want to kick in my thread to this pool.

My thread is dedicated to creating artwork for summoners champion designs through splash art, concept designs, and line art and also providing an outlet for other to find these threads through mine and branch out to find champion designs they enjoy and can begin doing feedback and get some ideas when creating their own champions.

Here's my thread below.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2368226

IS1bebc30e34fedef61db6c 08-02-2012 11:04 PM

in the mean time, European concepts arent even looked at, american ones get reviewed.
GG Riot.

VoodooSnake 08-02-2012 11:09 PM

Here is a thread that contains many many of the champion concepts posted.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2382137

P.S. I wanna thank you guys for coming in and acknowledging the existence of this board :) nice to have you here.

TheDeathstalker 08-02-2012 11:44 PM

Well, that's cool, good to see Kasuni get 'formally' recognized for the incredible work he got done.

Just for the sake of asking, does anyone on your end have any intention of helping foster the creativity here? Not for the sake of getting in the game, of course, but just to add some of your experience and know-how to what we're doing in these parts.

For example, I ran a few so called Champcraft Challenges a few years back, and was planning on starting up a new one soon, in which a whole gaggle of players would try to tackle an interesting, but difficult design challenge (the best example was probably an attempt to make a champion with all passive skills that still had an interesting and active style of play). Would it be possible for one of you with actual experience to lend your thoughts to such a discussion as to how to tackle such difficult concepts, or will it continue to be just us trying our best at it?

Maybe another way of saying it would be: Does anyone at Riot intend to join in the fun and lend their thoughts to the community?

Edit: And there I go, missing the thread for just such a purpose.

Leo Tomita 08-03-2012 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarahBoom (Hozzászólás 27770257)
Hey there,
I figured since this is going to basically be a Hub for summoners to begin their creations, i might want to kick in my thread to this pool.

My thread is dedicated to creating artwork for summoners champion designs through splash art, concept designs, and line art and also providing an outlet for other to find these threads through mine and branch out to find champion designs they enjoy and can begin doing feedback and get some ideas when creating their own champions.

Here's my thread below.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2368226

because it isnt mechanics that makes peoples buy champs...the Artwork's do this job !!

HAIL to the drawers!

Katsuni 08-03-2012 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo Tomita (Hozzászólás 27776122)
because it isnt mechanics that makes peoples buy champs...the Artwork's do this job !!

HAIL to the drawers!

Actually, it's a combination of things, but yeu're right. In large part, it's actually due to their picture to lure people into the design in the first place. If someone doesn't see a portrait and immediately go "ooh, that looks interesting..." they're probably not going to have a strong attachment to the champion for buying skins, nor enough interest to make them do an impulse buy of the champion itself.

After that, lore is probably the next biggest one. It's exceedingly rare, I'd wager, that people would bother to go looking on LoLWiki or anywhere else for their voices and lines. Gentleman Cho'gath, as a skin, may be an exception to that, however. The point is, lore is whot will show the champion's personality off. If the player doesn't care for that, once again, lack of sales, as the key is to capture their interest immediately and lock it in place with something that speaks to them as an individual.

The abilities can be fun and powerful, but yeu pick a "favourite" champion because it's skills, personality and appearance are things yeu like, more so than because they're powerful. Even if they nerf Ahri into the ground, I'll still like her because of all that I just listed, and won't regret having bought skins for her. Nidalee's the same way. In contrast, though I'm sure RiotAmes will hate me for it, I can't stand Jayce's personality, lore, or artwork; it's just not to my personal tastes. I understand the reason for why he exists, and that he caters to a different niche than myself, but Jayce seriously makes me want to smack him in the face for that smug smirk, and far too close feel to Captain Hammer from the doctor horrible sing along videos.

Anyway!

I'm glad we have a sticky up, now, since we could honestly use a little organization around here, and I'd say that even if my stuff wasn't listed on it =3

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeathstalker (Hozzászólás 27771696)
Well, that's cool, good to see Kasuni get 'formally' recognized for the incredible work he got done.

Just for the sake of asking, does anyone on your end have any intention of helping foster the creativity here? Not for the sake of getting in the game, of course, but just to add some of your experience and know-how to what we're doing in these parts.

Thanks death XD

As for the question though, I know a lot of the Riot posters would like to... but there's also a problem with favouritism as I understand it, among other things. Post in one champion, but not another... suddenly that one champion is viewed as being somehow "better" than the other, even if it's not the case. Red posts hold a lot of weight, even if they technically shouldn't say anything more than "this riot poster just happened to look at this champion and thought it was neat". It doesn't mean it's more creative or anything, so part of their helping to foster the creativity is to actually not post, sad as that is.

Now, that being said... I know RiotAmes has a few truly epic and awesome ideas on the go as well! However, there's a ton of red tape, complications and so on along the way that will probably mean most of them won't be able to occur. There's also the problem that RiotAmes, in particular, has been busy as hell as of late XD Every time I speak with them, it seems like another 16-20 hour day in the office ;_;

Awesome work, of course, and something one can be proud of, but the games industry is one of those ones where 100 hour work weeks are sometimes mandatory. As such, spare time projects can be... difficult to nab time on.

Regardless, thanks for giving us a sticky thread, and hope to see some of those projects yeu were working on come to provide fruits for yeur labour <3

Bliztron 08-03-2012 10:19 AM

nj all you guys :D

Bigg Fuddgee 08-03-2012 09:44 PM

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=847725

This is one of my good friends Vaylore, she has been taking requests from people for as far as i know a year and a half a least, fulfilling other peoples wants on their own champions and suggested skins, she more then well deserves to be there as she is very helpful to this community as is Farah.

Jaykoboy 08-03-2012 10:49 PM

Almost...as good as...a sticky. ♥

*sniff*