||06-26-2012 06:54 PM
Since we're talking about Dominion problem points - How about the Respawn System?
Going to lead this discussion with an old Brackhar-post I dug up, talking about things he thought should be changed in Dominion:
Originally Posted by Brackhar
[...]My high level priorities right now are:
1) Continue the re-evaluation of the respawn system. We likely need a replacement to the window approach to get rid of some of the odd incentives it creates, but I'm unsure what the correct solution is that still hits the original goals the respawn windows were created to solve.
Alright, so what is the respawn system? You can read the full version here
, but the short version is:
When someone dies on a team, if no respawn window is active, a new respawn window will be created of the size specified by this variable. Currently in Dominion this value is set to 12 seconds. When a respawn window is created fora team, anyone who dies during this period will have their respawn time set to the same time as the person who opened the window.
Additionally, there's a +2 second respawn time for the current ahead in points team and a -2 second respawn time for the team currently behind in points.
What does this do well?
- Keeps players from respawning a couple seconds apart and running in and dying a couple seconds apart.
- Helps prevent the game from being 'too snowball-y'.
What does this do poorly?
- Places a burden of knowledge on the players, or just feels extremely random, especially if the person whose wave you're riding died nowhere near you.
- Has some ridiculous extreme cases where if all the conditions are present, two players could kill each other in bottom lane and one respawn (26 base time - 2 for being currently behind in points and a max of -12 from hitting the end of a wave) 12 seconds later while the other respawns (26 + 2 for being currently ahead in points) 28 seconds later.
So... what do you guys think? Should the respawn system get looked at/changed a bit before ranked is opened up?
And if ya got a good suggestion, throw it out there - Nome will (hopefully) read this thread at some point xP