League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Dominion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Since we're talking about Dominion problem points - How about the Respawn System? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2287436)

Phourc 06-26-2012 06:54 PM

Since we're talking about Dominion problem points - How about the Respawn System?

Going to lead this discussion with an old Brackhar-post I dug up, talking about things he thought should be changed in Dominion:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brackhar (Hozzászólás 18088688)
[...]My high level priorities right now are:

1) Continue the re-evaluation of the respawn system. We likely need a replacement to the window approach to get rid of some of the odd incentives it creates, but I'm unsure what the correct solution is that still hits the original goals the respawn windows were created to solve.

Alright, so what is the respawn system? You can read the full version here, but the short version is:

Quote:

When someone dies on a team, if no respawn window is active, a new respawn window will be created of the size specified by this variable. Currently in Dominion this value is set to 12 seconds. When a respawn window is created fora team, anyone who dies during this period will have their respawn time set to the same time as the person who opened the window.
Additionally, there's a +2 second respawn time for the current ahead in points team and a -2 second respawn time for the team currently behind in points.

What does this do well?
- Keeps players from respawning a couple seconds apart and running in and dying a couple seconds apart.
- Helps prevent the game from being 'too snowball-y'.

What does this do poorly?
- Places a burden of knowledge on the players, or just feels extremely random, especially if the person whose wave you're riding died nowhere near you.
- Has some ridiculous extreme cases where if all the conditions are present, two players could kill each other in bottom lane and one respawn (26 base time - 2 for being currently behind in points and a max of -12 from hitting the end of a wave) 12 seconds later while the other respawns (26 + 2 for being currently ahead in points) 28 seconds later.

So... what do you guys think? Should the respawn system get looked at/changed a bit before ranked is opened up?

And if ya got a good suggestion, throw it out there - Nome will (hopefully) read this thread at some point xP

FDru 06-26-2012 08:46 PM

I think the cons outweigh the pros of the respawn window. I'd be interested in seeing how games played out with no window at all.

inFe eD 06-26-2012 08:54 PM

I honestly don't see the point of having a respawn window, besides coddling new players who would run off and die by themselves if they spawned singlefile. It adds an element of sheer luck that I think the mode would be better off without.

Nyx87 06-26-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inFe eD (Hozzászólás 26174667)
I honestly don't see the point of having a respawn window, besides coddling new players who would run off and die by themselves if they spawned singlefile. It adds an element of sheer luck that I think the mode would be better off without.

The funny thing is this still happens with respawn windows, only it's 2 people go in a die, 2 others respawn and die, so on and so forth. You would be surprised at how lemming like LoL players are. My friend calls it "Trickle in LoLinomics", where people trickle in to die one by one to the enemy team instead of regrouping.

(I am aware that lemmings do not actually pose previously thought suicidal tendencies)

Phourc 06-26-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inFe eD (Hozzászólás 26174667)

Yeah, I wonder if it was one of those "our experiences in testing did not line up with what happens in real games" like the +/-5 seconds for score on respawn xP

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brackhar (Hozzászólás 16196495)
Overall we have found this system to have a drastic benefit to the game compared to when we used a traditional static respawn time, both in allowing players to respawn together and also destabilizing the 3 and hold strategy. Without this system in place evenly matched teams would regularly end up in 300-400 point leads when the game ended and the overall number of captures and point turnovers was much lower. Conversely, after adding the system we also saw that unmatched teams were basically unaffected and still stomped games just as well as they did before.

And the respawn quote, since I found it:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morello (Hozzászólás 16476708)
Our internal testing created some situations we felt this was mandatory. In practice, we think either an extremely toned-down version of this system or a removal of these systems needs to take place. This means games will be more representative of a team's skill, but you'll also experience more blow-out games. Our assertion is, generally, you can't achieve a decisive victory if you can't have extreme losses either, and that's needed to make a more memorable and deep experience.

Kiddalee 06-27-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phourc (Hozzászólás 26167446)
- Has some ridiculous extreme cases where if all the conditions are present, two players could kill each other in bottom lane and one respawn (26 base time - 2 for being currently behind in points and a max of -12 from hitting the end of a wave) 12 seconds later while the other respawns (26 + 2 for being currently ahead in points) 28 seconds later.

Then removing the window would be a small indirect nerf to Revive, as there would be fewer extreme respawn differences requiring a Revive.

Desocupado 07-09-2012 07:50 PM

Well... Respawn windows + handicap adjustment for losing team seems a good move.
Is there any issue in this idea testing?

fizzlebeef 07-09-2012 08:09 PM

This was started over 2 weeks ago and only had 6 replies - THAT is a problem with dom.

Desocupado 07-09-2012 08:20 PM

Maybe respawn windows should only happen when people die near each other, would this work well?

urmamasllama 07-09-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desocupado (Hozzászólás 26731916)
Maybe respawn windows should only happen when people die near each other, would this work well?

but then what determines "close" as that is a very relativeand debatable figure that really can't be defined well and yet requires a hard definition