League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   LoL vs Dota 2 (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2262633)

lightmagician60 06-22-2012 08:18 AM

LoL vs Dota 2

i've played LoL for 1 and a half years, and i wondered what so great about Dota 2?
LoL and Dota 2 are the most part the same game with a few differences.

Champions:
Amount: LoL: 99 vs Dota 2: 81 - LoL wins that one by 18.. not much when to think of it.
Originality: All of LoLs champs have names, this adds character and makes them feel
Original, like they all have an identity. well Dota 2 on the other hand,
has a few that don't have names, and are generic,
like "Sniper", "Nature's Prophet", "Enchantress", "Skeleton King", Ect,
Overall: LoL puts alot of work into their Champs, giving them all an identity

Items:
Amount: LoL: 127 vs Dota 2: 127 yup a it's tie, i was surprised as well,
if you don't believe me go look it up
Actives/Unique: Passives: LoL: about 34 (counting Summoners) vs 65... no joke
Overall: Dota spends more time on items, making alot of unique items.
they may have the same amount, but it's clear that Dota's do more.

so LoL vs Dota 2, comes down to.. LoL has better Champs, and Dota 2 has better Items.
after playing LoL for a while... i have to say i'm sick of buying a deathcap of every mage, and i'm sick of buy a IE on every AD champ. and tanks ares worst, because all they need is Armor, MR & CDR i found my tanks having the same build over and over with maybe a few differences here and there. i feel a item build should feel like a part of the champ your playing. in Dota item building is part of learning the hero, in LoL it could be your first time playing the champ but cause you've played a mage or a tank before you know what to build mostly. i've gotten to the point i don't have fun playing a champ i've never played before, because the strategy i'm using i've already used on like 2, 5 or more other champs already. i'm sorry to say but if i can get into Dota 2, i will play that instead. i may come back, but only if LoL works more on items for a while.

AdmiralAardvark 06-22-2012 08:19 AM

I like them both equally and for different reasons, but i am better at LoL so i play it more.

And all DotA champions have real names, they are just in the lore. Sniper is Karnel Sharpeye or something like that, Prophet is Furion, SK is Leoric. I dont know Ench though.

a4mad 06-22-2012 08:19 AM

Dota has more heros then lol, not all of them have been ported in.
EDIT: there are 108 heroes in dota to be ported into dota2, and while lol gives champs identity, dota most heroes are interesting to play, and have different itemization based on who they are and what the enemy has.
itemization is way better in dota. There are like, what 5 active items in lol?

Patchness 06-22-2012 08:20 AM

That is not the be all and end all and it would take too long explaining to you the difference between the two games, their playstyle and their metas for the amount you would understand.

Brettapod 06-22-2012 08:20 AM

I like LoL because you can look the camera onto your champ instead of trying to control the camera in team fights, and because the artsyle for LoL is brighter and cheerier

NorDicUn 06-22-2012 08:21 AM

Lol
Dota All stars
Dota2
HoN
Rott
smashmuck champs xD

Alpha GareBear 06-22-2012 08:23 AM

All of DotA 2's heroes DO have names. They just aren't explicitly stated. Lifestealer's name is N'aix, Sniper is Karel Sharpeye, Nature's Prophet's name is Tequoia, Enchantress is Aiushtha, and SK is Leoric.

Lug 06-22-2012 08:23 AM

Op, it would be wise to take into account that while certain champs are referred to as "Enchantress" etc, they actually do all have names, they just tend to be referred randomly to as either their name or "designation".

LoL is a much more forgiving game, flashes, summoner spells, summing up to less burden of knowledge.

Dota on the other hand is way more intricate, where that can be a negative though is the tremendous burden of knowledge that comes with it. I think drawing a comparison is unfair, the best way to compare the two would be to simply say that Guinsoo and Pendragon now work for LoL, and icefrog works for Dota2.

They are two heads of the same beast.

Torkin 06-22-2012 08:24 AM

I've played both LOL and Dota for years and the biggest difference I find are the mechanics. LOL mechanics are more friendly where Dota's are more frustrating but because of this Dota is allowed to make some really awesome champions where LOL is more limited.

CPaladino 06-22-2012 08:24 AM

Who says having more champions in Lol (and getting new ones every few weeks) is a win? We have plenty of champions, and plenty of play styles. The game is harder to balance, and we may need to add more bans to the draft mode rules soon.

I appreciate what you are trying to do in theory - but this wasn't actually a "Lol vs. Dota2" thread, it compared the most inane things about each game and then declared a winner.