League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   "Tyrant" Swain? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2142510)

StarkRavenMad 05-22-2012 09:14 PM

"Tyrant" Swain?
 
Now, look, I know I am HORRIBLY biased. I love Swain more than anyone else. But honestly, Tyrant implies a bad/cruel leader, as in NOT in the greater good of the people. I'm not going to ask for a name change in the least, but I feel like I have to ask.

Are the Lore folks implying that Swain is actually just flat out evil, no shades of gray in the least, all that development lost, to go down the "Yup, everything he did was just because he's evil" path, or was it honestly the best name you could come up with?

Dracorya 05-22-2012 09:23 PM

Most of the skins are jokes or elbow jabs in reference.

Does Garen's Dreadknight skin imply that he is infact an evil person?

StarkRavenMad 05-22-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dracorya (Hozzászólás 24511394)
Most of the skins are jokes or elbow jabs in reference.

Does Garen's Dreadknight skin imply that he is infact an evil person?

What he does outside the castle walls is NONE of my business.

LordHippoman 05-22-2012 09:49 PM

Climbing your way to the throne by murdering the competition? That's pretty tyranty to me, even though he's such a cool villain.

Ask Shyvana 05-22-2012 09:51 PM

I was thinking this, too. Just when the lore writers seemingly give us the "gray" we wanted by having Jarvan and Katarina work together, now we have Tyrant Swain. Meh.

RiotRunaan 05-22-2012 09:58 PM

While the skin is directly related to the JoJ story, we generally aspire to name skins for wide appeal. "Tyrant" Swain certainly has its villainous connotations, and while I'd argue to the death that Swain is a much more nuanced and complex character than what 'tyrant' would immediately imply, the name of the skin captures the broad, surface level appeal of why the skin is cool: Swain is a badass, powerful, and "evil" dude.

StarkRavenMad 05-22-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotRunaan (Hozzászólás 24512330)
While the skin is directly related to the JoJ story, we generally aspire to name skins for wide appeal. "Tyrant" Swain certainly has its villainous connotations, and while I'd argue to the death that Swain is a much more nuanced and complex character than what 'tyrant' would immediately imply, the name of the skin captures the broad, surface level appeal of why the skin is cool: Swain is a badass, powerful, and "evil" dude.

Ah. I see. One moment.

ohmygodohmygodohmygodIgotarunaanresponse.

Back.

Now, this I can understand. I appreciate you explaining this to me, it gives me greater hope for the depth of the Lore for the "villains". I have other Lore questions I'd love to ask sometime, if you ever have the time. Thank you, and have a wonderful evening.

Myrmidont 05-22-2012 10:17 PM

I need more villainous skins! and more overtly heroic skins... super teemo is so lonely do want matching enemy/allied skin sets.

Torenia 05-22-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotRunaan (Hozzászólás 24512330)
While the skin is directly related to the JoJ story, we generally aspire to name skins for wide appeal. "Tyrant" Swain certainly has its villainous connotations, and while I'd argue to the death that Swain is a much more nuanced and complex character than what 'tyrant' would immediately imply, the name of the skin captures the broad, surface level appeal of why the skin is cool: Swain is a badass, powerful, and "evil" dude.

Can you truly call him evil? I thought it was discussed that Noxus itself is not evil as they have their own way as Demacia does too. Wouldn't this just make Swain the better of anyone in Noxus to rule through their own way?

RiotRunaan 05-22-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torenia (Hozzászólás 24512982)
Can you truly call him evil? I thought it was discussed that Noxus itself is not evil as they have their own way as Demacia does too. Wouldn't this just make Swain the better of anyone in Noxus to rule through their own way?

I did put "evil" in quotation marks. By his visuals, it's easy for an average player (who hasn't invested time in Swain's lore and backstory) to guess/interpret that he is probably an evil dude, or at least a villain--and that's what we go for, we like at-a-glance readability and clarity in our characters. We also like depth and nuance, so yes, "evil" is an entirely surface-level statement, Swain's character--and Noxus' by extension--are up for moral debate.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:01 AM.


(c) 2008 Riot Games Inc