League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   why riot should not change blue/purple and why that is a good thing (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2120275)

Guppers 05-14-2012 10:34 AM

why riot should not change blue/purple and why that is a good thing

In regard to the blue side vs purple side debate, I could be wrong but I understand it like this.

One of the sides (i seriously forget which cause I've never once payed attention to the color of the sides cause I saw no difference in it) is at an inherent disadvantage because of the camera angle. If you are starting with your nexus on the top then people complain that too much of the important bottom half of their screen is cluttered by the UI.

Seems like everyone who plays with their camera locked seems to think that this is a game design flaw and riot needs to do something to fix it.

um.. I'm not sure how to say this to all of you but.. RIOT ALREADY HAS A SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM.

Unlocking the camera is the great equalizer, if you do that you can look at w/e part of the screen you want. At any time you can press the space bar to center on your guy.

If you are chasing someone and don't want to keep clcking space bar or scrolling over to them.. then hold the space bar down, it will follow you just like you are in camera lock mode.

STOP BLAMING RIOT because you refuse to use this method that they added to make it equal because you think it's too hard. Anyone who says they don't want to play without camera lock and still complains about blue/purple is basically saying that they refuse to get better at the game but want to win more games anyway.

this would be like playing star craft and saying that cannon rushes are unbalanced because you didn't want to look in your base for them. (the number of people who will disagree with that I think only reinforces how accurate this analogy is)

RIOT IS DOING YOU A FAVOR the concept of unlocking your camera is a skill check by riot. I'm sure they could easily allow people to flip the camera, but why would they do you that kind of disservice. They have give you a tool that works and requires some skill (I use the term skill in this context loosely, kind of like how walking and chewing gum is a skill). I assume you play this game because you want to get better at it and be good. Do you just care about having a win loss ratio? If so just take a piece of paper and write 500/0 on it with League Of Legends written at the top, congratulations. If you care about actually being good at this game then you need to realize that camera lock is the next obstacle in your way to what you want to achieve.

Honestly guys, if you talk to anyone who doesn't use camera lock they will never say that it was hard to do. They will say something like, "yea it took me a few games to get used to but after that I can't imagine why I'd never used it before"

Just try it for 5 games even if you lose all 5 games because of it. If that doesn't work, do it for 5 more games. You will play better, you'll have better map awareness, and you'll never have to devote brain power to wondering what side of the map you will play on

TeknoWizard 05-14-2012 10:41 AM

I've seen a thread on this issue before, and it actually had diagrams and stuff to back it up. In middle lane, if you stand in one corner on blue side, you can see every entrance to mid lane. However, if you are on purple side, no such view exists if you still want to keep yourself in the view of the camera.

Guppers 05-14-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeknoWizard (Hozzászólás 24265469)
I've seen a thread on this issue before, and it actually had diagrams and stuff to back it up. In middle lane, if you stand in one corner on blue side, you can see every entrance to mid lane. However, if you are on purple side, no such view exists if you still want to keep yourself in the view of the camera.

um.. if in this example the 2 people have their camera locked then that is what this post is about, but I don't think that's what you meant.

If what you're saying is true then it is an issue of map symmetry and not about camera vision. The maps are not perfectly symmetrical but that is an entirely different issue (one that I also think is not a problem but not what this thread is about). I will try a bot game and see if I can figure out exactly what you mean though

BP Jester 05-14-2012 10:53 AM

My view on this is simple. I was a dota player for years before I started to play this and I tried locked camera once. It is a handicap, it cripples you, and it is not meant to be used permanently. Locked camera is the equivalent of training wheels and if you refuse to stop using it, you are akin to the 14 year old kid still using his training wheels because he thinks it is too hard to ride a bike without them.

Guppers 05-14-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeknoWizard (Hozzászólás 24265469)

so I started up a bot game and this is completely untrue. The middle has 8 entrances (straight up the lane from either direction, through the river from either direction, and 2 side paths next to each tower from each direction: 8 total)

From the blue side if you wanted to see the 3 entrances closest to your tower and both of the river entrances, then you would not be able to see the side entrance from puruples wraiths, nor would you be able to see the actual main lane entrance of the tower itself.

From the purple side the exact same conditions exist, you can see both river and your 3 close entrances.. but you won't be able to see blue side wraiths entrance.

I don't have time to make any diagrams but it's easy to start a bot game and check for yourself, I believe this argument is effectively squashed unless you can show me the diagram you're talking about.

Mjd24 05-14-2012 11:22 AM

Shrink your UI

Sephrinx 05-14-2012 11:30 AM

You can also run past certain towers without being shot at and pathing is different thus time traveled is less/greater. There are several discrepancies between Purple/Blue as the map is not perfectly symmetrical. Can't see **** while on Purple side, and blue side gets to run behind/around turrets without risking turret flack.

accuracy1st 05-14-2012 01:04 PM

i know the solution. put mini map and the bars on bot of screen on top if you are on purple team. having those bars be on top for purple is equivalent to them being bot on blue. but purple players have the same bars on bot, so it blocks out some view where the opponents are likely to be standing.

Sexual Healing 05-14-2012 01:06 PM

The lane proximity to buffs is also a huge disadvantage. The Blue/Purple arguement is more about map arrangment than anything else. Try contesting Baron from Purple verses Blue side. There are serious differences. It's not anything to complain about though. You just need to know advantages/disadvantages. Especially when counter jungling and being aware of the near lanes you're dealing with.

MCMCMAN2 05-14-2012 05:14 PM

If any one spends time complaining about that, they must be really ****ing bored...
I bet if you spent half your time complaining about this and spent the rest trying to get better at the game itself, than you wouldnt even notice the differences...