League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   "Elo Hell" - A Guide (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2074041)

Christy x 04-29-2012 08:47 PM

"Elo Hell" - A Guide

"I'm playing Jax and I owned my lane, took my tower 10 minutes in and now my goal is to keep Nasus from ever being able to farm. 5 minutes pass and it seems like Nasus is last hitting near his tower and slowly catching up to my cs. What do I do?"

"I'm last pick, you wanted to mid but unfortunately every role has been taken except support. What do I do?"

"I messed up, got ganked 15 times and somehow I'm 0-5 in mid & my team is raging at me. How do I recover?"

"I'm dominating bottom lane and my top and mid are feeding! What can I do to fix it and recover the game?"

"I'm jungling and I keep telling my team to buy wards but they continuously die to ganks and blame me. What do I do?"

All of these are very real situations you have probably faced in whatever "elo hell" you are in. The constant complaint (and one I've made myself dozens and dozens of times) is "I CANT DO ANYTHING WITH THIS TEAM!!!" Believe me, I understand how that feels. Now, I'm not going to claim I'm some League of Legends expert, nor am I 1800 elo. But I want to share some things I've learned over my roughly 2000 games. This is a situational guide, it isn't about builds or OP champions, it's about what you do when things don't go perfectly.

I started typing all of these situations up last night and realized it is quite long since so many different situations can occur during a game. So I plan to do this in a series of installments focused around roles. I will start with bot lane and move my way up giving you guys as much advice as I can.

BOT LANE
AD Carry/Support

Champion Selection:
Support: If you are playing support I highly recommend you play something with a heal. Supports such as Janna & Leona are still very good and if you are experienced with these feel free to play them. If not, play something with a HEAL. Chances are your AD Carry is drunk, high, hasn't slept in 4 days, and probably fell down the stairs and hit their head before entering your game. Therefore when they face check a brush or don't see a gank coming until they’re 300 HP, you can be there to heal them! Also chances are your AD Carry doesn’t know how to farm or to avoid skill shots from say a Nidalee or a Graves so it’s best to have some sustain in lane. If you think your AD Carry might just have some skill, you played with them before, or they just seem like a competent person, I recommend something with cc like a Janna or Taric. Alistar is a very viable pick but please keep in mind that your W can easily mess up a kill for your carry.

AD Carry: Please for the love of god do not play Ezreal or Kayle as an AD Carry. Unless for some reason you have 200+ games with them and a positive win ratio and K/D never ever play them. In fact, let’s include Teemo in there too because let’s face it, everyone just wants to kill that cute little face of yours in team fights which is not what we want! The most viable champions and what I personally recommend right now is: Graves (early burst, attack speed, tanky), Miss Fortune (speed, burst, lock-on abilities), or Ashe (kite people all day, and YOUR ULT IS OP).

Builds/Rune Pages:
If you’re starting with less than 60 AD as an AD Carry, you are bad. Re-do your rune page or you will get dumped on at the start of every game you play. If you have more than 20 AP as a Support…well why are you even bothering supporting?
Do not assume you know how to build any champion and do not just build what you saw someone else build. I thoroughly recommend you check out some guides on solomid.net (yes, solomid.net NOT MOBAFIRE).

Spells:
No one in this lane should have Ignite, I don’t care what Support or AD Carry you are you don’t need ignite. I recommend AD Carry takes Heal & Flash and Support takes Exhaust & Flash/Ghost. I only recommend CV if their Jungler is the first pick or your Jungler is first pick. Chances are maybe one or the two will try to invade and you can use CV to change the outcome of that invade. However don’t underestimate the value of Exhaust. If you are facing any kind of HARD CC in lane PLEASE TAKE EXHAUST and save your AD Carry!

Wards – Consider them close family friends. Either way you and these things called wards should become very close over your League career. Think you’re an AD Carry and don’t ever need to buy wards? Think again. Think you’re just going to rush that philo stone and leave your lane open to ganks? Think again. The tri and dragon should always be warded. ALWAYS.

Basing – Supports & Ad Carries should always try to base at the same time. This saves one of you from becoming vulnerable or from being turret dived. Do not base in plain sight, there’s just no point to letting the enemy know exactly what you’re doing. It’s like a red flag asking them to push the lane hard and get damage in on your turret. I always recommend basing behind your tower unless you are 100% sure you are safe and out of sight.

Situational Advice

Your AD Carry bases & support stays in lane:
If the wave is at your tower, try to last hit minions but don’t sit there and take massive amounts of damage from their AD Carry. If you’re facing a Vayne keep in mind she can stun you into your Tower. Also keep in mind you’re in lane by yourself and you have little damage – this immediately makes you a target for Turret Dives. If the wave is not at your Tower and is pushed beyond the River – DO NOT GO TRY TO FARM. You are simply asking to be killed.

Your Support Based and AD Carry stay lane:
Don’t just keep farming as if nothing happened. If you’re facing any kind of CC it’s dangerous and becomes so much easier for the enemy to kill you & believe me people want to kill AD Carries whether you are fed or not. Even if it would give u the same amount of gold as a Support, people want to stop Ad Carries in any way they can. This doesn’t mean you can’t farm though, you just need to be cautious, stay back a bit further and only come up for a last hit.

You Lose your Tower:
This sucks, but it doesn’t mean “gg” as you might feel tempted to stay in the chat. It doesn’t matter if it’s your fault or not, it happens. What you should do is take advantage of this. Make sure you call your MIA and prepare to ‘free farm’. Don’t just run bottom, buckshot a wave and starting pushing all the way to their tower again, this will just get you ganked a million times and you wont get anything out of it. Instead, LAST HIT. Don’t use any abilities on waves just let the minions do the damage and get the very last hit. This will keep your wave from pushing and make it so your enemy has to overextend to stop you.

You take a Tower:
DO NOT OVEREXTEND. I can’t stress this enough. Unless you have an amazing support who warded from your tri to their base, don’t. Better – just last hit at your tower, maybe let your support go assist mid lane, or both go pressure mid. I don’t care if your team is winning by 30 kills, do not go for the second tower, you are better off grouping up in mid with your team & pushing as one if you’re that fed.

They KEEP PUSHING BOTTOM LANE:
You lost your first tower, you might lose your second. Your jungler broke his hand from raging from punching a wall after dying for firs t blood & no one is stopping bottom lane from pushing. First – take a deep breath, you might lose yes but you can still win. Try communicating first. Don’t rage and say it’s not your fault bottom is winning so badly or try to blame others, just ask your mid if they can please gank for you. Maybe this means apologizing for doing badly, okay, do it so you can win. If this isn’t happening then go mid and pressure it hard. Farm the wave with your abilities and ward both sides of the lane. If you suddenly put tons of pressure on mid or initiate a team fight somewhere else on the map they will be forced to go there.

My Team is Feeding:
This advice will stay the same in almost every role. What you do in this situation is called Forcing Mid Game. Now one or two deaths does not count as feeding. You want to do this only when someone has died like 4 or 5 times to the same person. If someone is getting too powerful on the other team you want to go to mid lane (send your support first) and start pushing the lane hard. I highly recommend you ward both sides of mid because the jungler will be the first to come and you don't want to get ganked. Just pressure the lane, this will force mid game early and cause people from other lanes to come mid and will most likely result in a team fight. If going to mid lane does not work you can also try to invade a buff as a group or make a move for dragon (ONLY WITH A PINK WARD).

Team Fights:
Your Support should be closer to the front of the fight and your AD Carry in the back. Chances are your support fits 1 of 2 categories: 1) Is squishy as hell but has tons and tons of heals and escape-type abilities or 2) Has more crowd control than Justin Beiber at an all girl’s middle school. In either situation you can blow your cc on the correct people (squishies/carries), motivating one of their carries or tanks to focus you and then you can slowly move off towards the back in the OPPOSITE direction of your AD Carry. You want to draw attention away from your carries, if you are a problem in a team fight that is a good thing. However while you're using your CC and throwing heals keep an eye on your AD Carry, make sure to exhaust anyone that goes for them.
An AD Carry needs to stay alive throughout a team-fight. I know you’ve been told forever as an AD Carry to focus the other teams carries, this however, is not useful at all if you die in the process of trying to get close to them. This may sound weird but if the other team’s carries are nowhere near you, just attack whoever is closest. Obviously you want to focus a carry if they are close but sometimes that isn’t an option when there are 8 other champions in between you and them. You want to make sure you deal as much damage as possible in the time you are alive and hope that by the time the fight draws to an end that you are still there to clean up.

That's the most basic advice I can offer you as far as how to change the outcome of a game that isn't going well. Please feel free to ask questions & I (and probably a few of my friends...as I host a LoL TeamSpeak) will be ready to answer them for you. This is the perfect topic for you to explain what's going wrong and I will try my best to help you fix it.
Disclaimer: This guide is SITUATIONAL - meaning this is what I recommend in certain situations and it does not mean it is 100% full proof or that it will always work!

Again, I don't claim to be an expert but I think these forums are the best place to share knowledge so that's what I'm doing :)

~Christy

Alumenlux 04-29-2012 08:51 PM

Nice guide.

JĂ ke 04-29-2012 09:09 PM

Pretty thorough thus far for those without a clue on how to play bottom lane or are just looking for a few pointers and tips.

PhoDaKids 04-29-2012 09:10 PM

I must agree, the advice given here is quite the quality stuff

+1 for you sir :)

FapsInLoadScreen 04-29-2012 09:12 PM

i would seriously love playing with more people with this type of attitude. A lot of the time i solo queue and since doing it i have grown quite bitter as a result of little to no teamwork and communication in ranked, so i often get in a /ff type of mood when games start to tank.

Christy x 04-29-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHendrix89 (Hozzászólás 23767398)
i would seriously love playing with more people with this type of attitude. A lot of the time i solo queue and since doing it i have grown quite bitter as a result of little to no teamwork and communication in ranked, so i often get in a /ff type of mood when games start to tank.

I totally get this. I'm not an 1800 elo player I'll admit I've been around 1100-1200 for a little bit now but I've been down to the 800's at one point. It's easy to just think "meh I can't do anything my team just feeds and sucks & just want to quit" but I thought maybe this guide would help people take the initiative to turn their game around :)

Edit: Feel free to add me in game ^.^

Killppl 04-29-2012 09:42 PM

good guide, hopefully some of the people who do really bad in ranked but actually want to win and aren't just trolls come to look for help and find this, and maybe just maybe they won't feed 10 kills before 10 mins =p

also, never play volibear...ever

PaleGirlProblems 04-29-2012 09:46 PM

3-11 volibear last ranked game mang

Eryn 04-29-2012 10:21 PM

TL;DR
Why are you making a guide to ranked queue when you haven't played a single solo queue game?

Your tips are great game play tips, but really if you want to make an 'ELO Hell' guide you need to talk about how to deal with trolls, ragers, feeders, and kids. Less how you play the game but how you deal with your teammates I believe decides a low elo game. Half of the games I win should be losses from the champion select, but by adapting and being kind people are in a good mood and play better.

As a 'game play' guide, this is good.

Christy x 04-29-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E1C (Hozzászólás 23769280)
TL;DR
Why are you making a guide to ranked queue when you haven't played a single solo queue game?

Your tips are great game play tips, but really if you want to make an 'ELO Hell' guide you need to talk about how to deal with trolls, ragers, feeders, and kids. Less how you play the game but how you deal with your teammates I believe decides a low elo game. Half of the games I win should be losses from the champion select, but by adapting and being kind people are in a good mood and play better.

As a 'game play' guide, this is good.

Edit: Just noticed your first point..I've actually played 400 games of solo queue. It's not a ton but it's enough to learn a few things.

If you posted "TL;DR" then I don't think you can really get a full understanding of what I'm posting here. It isn't a ranked queue guide although some of these things can be learned through ranked 5's. Too many guides about trolls, having positive game attitudes, etc. have already been made.

These are real situation guides on how someone who is in a bad situation (i.e. their mid is feeding ..which could possibly BE a troll) can deal with that situation and make the most out of it. Tons of people who consider themselves to be in "elo hell" aren't exactly bad themselves but they don't know what to do when a game takes a turn for the worse.

Trolls, feeders, etc. exist. Nothing you will do, no matter how nice you are is going to change that. However there are actual plays you can make in game to stop one of these people from making the enemy team spiral out of control.