League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Why no AS for Caitlyn? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2059854)

Dreamwritten 04-25-2012 12:30 PM

Why no AS for Caitlyn?

just curious, cause i stumbled upon a post bashing people who build Cait with attack speed, but its always worked for me. my go-to items are trinity force, ionic spark, beserkers greaves, dorians blade and last whisper. this may not be a traditional build for her but i still carry. im still pretty new though so... if this is a poor build, whats a better one... and how do you go about determining how to build for a particular hero?

Hughes De Payens 04-25-2012 12:33 PM

That's a really mediocre build for Cait. She's got enough trouble late-game already, and you're weakening her damage further with that build.

You want something more like...

Berzerk Greaves
Infinity Edge
Bloodthirster
Phantom Dancer
Last Whisper
Defensive Item (situational)

Also, not using AS on Cait is a bad idea. She needs it because her passive will proc more often and it's her only steroid. She lacks damage late game compared to champs like Graves, Trist, etc... because her passive is so lacking, but it's still worthwhile to get the procs.

EDIT:

Of course, early game you'll need to pick up 2x Dorans if the lane's pretty even, etc... but you will eventually sell them for better items.

IdleAltruism 04-25-2012 12:39 PM

The standard AD carry build is 2-3 Dorans Blades, boots 2 (usually Zerkers), major DPS item (usually Infinity Edge, sometimes Bloodthirster, depending on circumstance and champion), zeal and vamp scepter some time during or after building your major DPS item.

After that sort of core, the items are pretty self-explanitory (they are in no particular order): Last Whisper, Guardian Angle, QuickSilver Sash, Zeal->Phantom Dancer, another major DPS item. Grab these when the circumstance requires it.

That is your typical AD carry build. They will vary depending on champ/circumstances, but Cait is not really an exception. That build gives you optimal damage mid-late game, so it's probably the most popular right now.

Your build is kind of a mess. Cait doesn't do well with Trinity at all, and Iconic Spark is subpar in comparison to zeal/PD.

Dreamwritten 04-25-2012 12:45 PM

thanks guys! I think I like iconic spark so much bc of the 50 percent AS as well as.. of course.. the awesome lightning chain AoE

Admiral Love 04-25-2012 01:04 PM

This build is a good defensive build imo, makes for fun baiting and kiting in teamfights:

Masteries: 9-21-0
Runes: Attack Speed, Health, Armor Pen
Spells: Flash, Heal, Cleanse (if team has lots of CC)
Gear: Merc Treads, Maldreds, Wit's End, Bloodthirster, Guardian Angel, Phantom Dancer

iP1ayJarvan 04-25-2012 02:34 PM

it is because half of her skills are ad based. if you build AS, your Q and ult won't hurt, and that ult has a real good ad ratio too.