League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Viktor: The Machine Herald (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2024658)

Alamander 04-15-2012 04:30 PM

Viktor: The Machine Herald

Viktor: The Machine Herald

A Detailed How to play:

Intro:

Viktor is a really strange, odd ball of a champion. in a straight up fight, he may not be as strong as his other AP counter parts, however his abilities to farm and shut down team fights make him much more viable than any players in solo queue will have you believe.

As Viktor you have a few things at your disposal. Your poke range absolutely fantastic, and you can shoot it through terrain which allows you to poke through large objects. I will say that i have stolen many objectives with laser, including the baron buff.

So without any further Ado, lets get into the basics of playing Viktor as a mid lane champion.

Pregame: masteries/runes/summoner spells and mindset:

So for masteries you will almost exclusively want to go offensive mage with a side of utility. The way that i play Viktor relies on no mana regeneration items, or flat mana items. this means abuse what you can in the utility page to fix this issue.

---Runes are much more flexible. personally, i run ability power across the board. Other viable moves involve Movement speed Quints (Which are invaluable) , Spell Vamp which increase your sustain with your laser hitting 5-6 targets a wave if you play your cards correctly, and Health. Grabbing Magic pen over scaling AP is also a viable option.
---The Rune set that i run currently is 15+ ap flat from my quints and 62+ @ level 18 scaling AP quints. At level 18 this gives me an extra 77 Ability power.

I'd like to take a second to encourage scaling ability power on viktor. Lets look at this numerically. You start the game with a hex core, this gives you +3 AP per level without being upgraded. that is 3x18 = 54 Ability power. Add the rune set that i use. that puts you at 54+77 = 131 AP. Now throw on your 5% increase from Masteries, along with your +4 from your base AP mastery set giving you roughly 143 AP. After upgrading your Hex core to death gives you 45+ AP. Giving you a grand total of 190AP for 1000 gold at level 18. Not to mention a 30% burn.

This essentially gives viktor the ability to scale into late game and avoid being useless without items. This allows flexibility because as long as you can level, you will be gaining substantial AP. Also, using this system, rabadons death cap with just an upgraded Hexcore will put you over 500 AP. Again, this is just my current set up and i have used MS quints instead of the flat AP ones.

Summoner Spells are Flexible. He has a ton of DoT dmg (Damage over Time) so to me it screams Flash Ignite. You could Argue teleport, heal or really any other combination. I believe flash is required on any effective Mage mid lane with the exception of perhaps Vlad

Skill Order and Item Builds

For Starting Skills i suggest starting with your Q skill unless your team plans on Invading in which case laser is the better option for the possibility of doing damage on all five champions. The Q is a better option at level 1 for a few reasons. Cheap mana cost being primary, it also lets you poke a bit more without paying for it. From there on I max E (laser) primarily, leaving 1 point in W until its the last skill available. So priority is E > Q > W, picking up your Ult whenever possible.

Item Builds

Variation 1: Lane Sustain

This is used when the game is going slowly. This is also what i find the strongest setup for a viktor.

1. Boots x3HP pot
2. Upgrade to Augment: Death as quickly as possible.
3. Mana pots as needed.
4. Will of the ancients
5. Sorc. Shoes
6. Rabadons DeathCap
7. Zyhonas Hourglass
8. Whatever you find you need. Be it Abyssal, Void, or whatever else required.

Pros: Sustainable lane, with fantastic farm (given your jungler has good control of your blue buff), If augment death is purchased at level 6, with that rune book you will have about 150 AP with a 30% burn on your E. This means easy last hitting, and healing off of wraiths and pokes.

Cons: You're squishy, You get caught and you die. If you are not familiar to viktor this build will feel really strange for a little while until you fully understand where you should be standing in every team fight. Also if you aren't good at landing your W in a good position to keep yourself alive, you will struggle with this build

Variation 2: Tanky dps

1. boots 3xPot
2. Early dorans ring or two
3. Augment: Death
4. Sorc boots
5. Rylais
6. Abyssal/Will of the Ancients
7. Zyhonas Hourglass
8. Deathcap

This variation works out pretty decently, though you will see a significant damage reduction with it. The slow on rylais will assist you in landing your W after landing any other skill. Plus this will allow your ulti to stay on your target unless they burn some form of escape. I prefer the variation involving Will, but if you are the only AP on your team, it might be more beneficial to just use a few hit point potions and build Abyssal or Void.

Variation 3: Learning to play Viktor

1. Boots 3xHP pot
2. Catalyst
3. Augment Death or finish RoA
4. Augment Death or Finish RoA
5. Rabadons Deathcap
6. Rylais
7. Optional slot

This build doesn't really excel at anything but, for someone trying out viktor for the first time and not entirely sure how to manage your mana properly without allocating items for it , it does the job. This will get you tankiest in comparison to any of the builds, your dps will suffer early, but you should still scale pretty decently into late game. Again, i suggest getting off of this build when you become more used to how he plays. Variation 1 and 2 are currently the strongest way to play him.

Gaming Strategy : Early Game

Viktor is most vulnerable early game. specifically before level 6, and before your Augment Death upgrade. That being stated, you should not be using your W aggressively in any sense in this phase. You'll want to focus primarily on Creep Score. your Q can be used for both securing a last hit because it has a very low mana cost or for poking the enemy mid lane. Use your E to also secure last hits, and if possible try to hit both the creep wave securing your CS with your E, and your opposing mid lane. This will take practice.

If you are ever standing still for any point you are not doing it correctly. ALWAYS keep moving. This is just a general rule of thumb. You'll need to get good at hitting your E while moving so, don't get discouraged by missing it early game. Watch your mana, because the goal is not to base until you have at least 1k gold. This gives you your Augment Death.

If you are ganked pre 6, just get out unless you have jungle support. If you get ganked after level 6, Allow the jungler to close the distance. Once they are very close to melee range, drop your W on top of yourself. This is where you throw Every skill you have, Q,E,R and ignite. This often kills junglers, even from 75% health. I find that hyper aggressive jungle players have issues with viktor.

Gaming Strategy: Mid Game

This is very similar to early game. Secure blue buffs, also move to steal theirs. Timing it with your laser often gives you a free blue buff. Also focus on dragon fights at this point in the game. Viktor has the unique ability to deal full E damage to ALL 5 players trying to take dragon. I have forced 2 or 3 people off of dragon with just viktor because of his AoE damage being too high. If nothing else, try to steal it with your laser. It is very possible.

Take wraiths whenever you can. Using your E from across the wall gives you vision, allowing you to Q the blue wraith. Your E's DoT damage will kill the small minions, and when you get more proficient with it you will be able to hit all 4 of them with your laser without wasting any time out of lane. Do the same to the enemy wraiths. Leaving a wraith or two on their side doesn't hurt unless you are controlling the lane and consistantly getting them.

His ganks bot lane are much stronger than given credit for. If you land your W at any point on a champ in bot lane, he will die with your combo.

Gaming Strategy: Late Game

Its a lot of the same. At this point you should have enough burst to pick a target and kill it. its important to note that if you are playing Variation 1s build, you can actually tank Baron for you team if you have blue buff while taking little to no damage.

remember that your E reveals wherever you shoot it as well, if you have blue buff it doesn't hurt to check bushes that aren't warded with a laser instead of your face. Your W is a team fight winning ability. If you can get the team in that and hit the majority of them with a E R combo, you probably will win that team fight. The burst damage between both of them, along with the DoT is more than any AD ranged can ever survive without serious MR , or a fantastic support.

Pro Tips with Viktor

If you get nothing out of this guide, take this for what its worth.

-- E reveals bushes and steals objectives
-- Wraiths respawn every 60 seconds -- After level 7 if you have the Augment death, it is very easy to take them every 60 seconds on both sides.
-- Wards are your friend. A good viktor should always out farm his mid lane. use a little bit of your CS to not get yourself killed from greed.
-- R has a .5 second silence. Beyond useful vs most mids
-- If you can't fight someone upfront (And alot of champs you cant) you just poke and farm. You can never get denied farm with your E, if you are good at landing it.
-- Champions That give viktor trouble mid lane: Kassadin/Sion/Katarina
--Champions that Viktor Excels against: Morgana/MordeKaiser/Ryze and Gragas

That does not mean you cannot beat those lanes, or will always beat those champs. This is just my personal experience.

Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think , and how your games go as Viktor; The Machine Herald

Please feel free to Email me with questions or respond on here with questions. Alamander88@AIM.com or @ www.UoA.enjin.com. For my guides also visit www.UoA.enjin.com!

Edit: Upvote for the predator Viktor Skin!

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...7&d=1334518710

Nicodemous 04-15-2012 05:22 PM

Good man, I'd like to see more of Vik out there... perhaps then I'd actually run into a good one. As it is I've only ever seen him three or four times in game. One was a troll (just charged straight up lane auto attacking) and the others were not bad per se, but lackluster...

Alamander 04-15-2012 05:26 PM

A large amount of viktor players play him very wrong. I can honestly say (being at 1700~ Elo, for what thats worth) That viktor is a viable and beyond strong choice against most mid casters. Just trying to help other people out because he is beyond under rated.

ThorHammerz 04-15-2012 06:46 PM

Very nice guide! Suddenly makes me want to try him out ^_^

Alamander 04-15-2012 07:12 PM

Thanks bud! Hopefully upvote and give me plenty of feedback so i can keep this up to date!

Alamander 04-15-2012 09:08 PM

For anyone who is a fan of unorthodox champions, as soon as the new patch comes out i will have a Kayle: The Judicator Guide up as well! :)

VoidBro 04-16-2012 12:28 AM

You porbably might want to get 1 or 2 dorans ring first before upgrading hex core.

Alamander 04-16-2012 05:41 AM

The reason i omit the dorans ring is because at level 5 with the suggested rune set and mastery page, if you have your Augment: Death upgrade you begin to one shot the back line of the minion wave. This also opens up free wraith taking whenever you want them.

For the HP loss that you pay for, you gain a massive amount of gold gain, plus blue buff at that point (levels 5 to 7) is typically supplied to the AP mid lane.

Thanks for the feedback!

Alamander 04-17-2012 09:31 AM

───────▄▌▐▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▌──────
────▄▄██▌█ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░(ノ 益)ノ ︵ ┻━┻--------▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
─▄▄▄▌▐██▌█ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐─────▄▄█▌▐███▌▐██▄
─███████▌█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▌─── ███████████████
─▀❍▀▀▀▀▀▀▀❍❍▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀❍❍▀─────── ▀❍▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀❍▀

Bump truck is being chased by the Bump Police for over use of Bumps, won't be back till tomorrow! Good luck!

Shiroikiri 04-19-2012 08:52 AM

Just tried Viktor in a bot match, Mwuahahaha, he's way fun, definitely going to get a lot of use out of him this week to see if I want to keep him.