League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] Malphite - the rocky dps tank (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=19836)

ArchReaper 10-22-2009 05:55 AM

[Guide] Malphite - the rocky dps tank

So this is a mini-guide for making a near-unstoppable DPS Malphite.

Runes:
Crit chance. All the way.
Possible subs: attack speed, armor pen

Masteries:
Offensive/utilitiy

Summoner Skills:
Exhaust/Heal

Skills:
  1. q
  2. e
  3. w
  4. q
  5. q
  6. r
  7. q
  8. e
  9. q
  10. e
  11. r
  12. e
  13. e
  14. w
  15. w
  16. r
  17. w
  18. w

Items:

Regrowth Pendant
Philosophers Stone
Zerk greaves
Infinity Edge
Zeal
Phantom Dancers
Black Cleaver
Last Whisper
*Black Cleaver/Last Whisper usually not obtained before end of game

Strategy:
Low Level: Farm creeps. If a gank opportunity arises, use Q first, followed by E then W and chase. But mainly just farm and harass.
Mid Level: Gank time! Gank every opportunity you get. R -> E is one of the best AOE group disable combos in the game. Follow it with W then Q for anyone that gets away = many successful ganks
High Level: Same as mid, but now you have an infinity edge. You do ridiculous crit dmg. Take towers, gank everyone, few champions can take you.

Main Points:
  • Utilize your ultimate as efficiently as possible, which means possibly waiting a second or two for enemies to get close enough to all get hit.
  • Follow your ultimate IMMEDIATELY with E
  • Throw on W any time you're attacking anything but creeps
  • Remember that Q is a GREAT slow/self speed buff and PLENTY of dmg. Chase away!
  • Your passive makes you a semi tank, great for taking down low to moderate health towers (especially with W!)
  • Don't be afraid to chase! Malphite has great natural armor and health (even without defense items) ESPECIALLY with his passive, which is a great damage shield

Malphite is one of the more underplayed champions in the game (unfortunately) so I wanted to bring to light how much I dominate with him, it seems to still surprise people occasionally. He really is a godly hero.

Feel free to leave comments/questions/criticism. I have played Malphite a lot and have experimented with many skill/rune/item builds, and this is by far the best.

10-22-2009 06:05 AM

Not bad, seems a bit short of a guide, but it does indeed cover the basics of the dps monster Malphite.

As a Malphite player, I rather choose W over E. Even though the Ground Slam/Armor ability is great, it is much more suited for Tank Malphite. I prefer the W ability for its ability to take down towers quickly, and its ability to creep quicker. You may think the spread damage is minimal at the beginning, but it adds up especially when you get to doing more damage.

I would discourage calling Malphite a semi-tank with this build. Even with his passive, Malphite is still a bit flimsy, and I usually get Frozen Mallet to give him an additional slow and the big boost to HP. Just because you can chase, doesn't mean you should.

Sykomyke 10-22-2009 06:45 AM

Yea, he's not even a tank with this build. I always stack armor and health with him as his graphite shield converts 10% of his health into a damage shield, which means any health increasing items have a pronounced effect on him. You can go DPS with any hero labeled a "tank". Doesn't mean you should though. Sometimes it's better to get less kills and be a true tank for your team. There's a reason why the saying "Take one for the team" is around....

nuborn 10-22-2009 07:29 AM

actually malphite isnt "labeled a tank"

ArchReaper 10-22-2009 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sykomyke (Hozzászólás 219506)
Yea, he's not even a tank with this build. I always stack armor and health with him as his graphite shield converts 10% of his health into a damage shield, which means any health increasing items have a pronounced effect on him. You can go DPS with any hero labeled a "tank". Doesn't mean you should though. Sometimes it's better to get less kills and be a true tank for your team. There's a reason why the saying "Take one for the team" is around....

Malphite isn't technically a tank, but he is much more tank-like then most squishy agi/mag champs (hence semi-tank) I wasn't trying to insinuate that you should use him as a tank.
Also, DPS malphite trumps tank malphite as far as usefulness in most any game. If you don't believe me, try this build for yourself.

Also: yes the guide is a bit short I'm lacking sleep currently and I'll try to expand it another time.

@Ryoshi: Next game I'll try W over E and see how I do :)

Ghostraider 10-22-2009 11:05 AM

Personally I get Meki pendant + 2 health potions over regrowth pendant its lets me use my abilities abit more. I would get Ninja Tabi or Mercury Treads depending on the enemy over Berseker Greaves I prefer survival items early on over dps.

I always get Frozen mallet every game I can slow + hp + damage yes please I reccomend you get at least a phage before getting Infinty Edge he aint gonna do much if you cant hit running enemy.

I noticed you dont seem to recommend any potions at all I find getting Elixir of Agility with the large ammount of crit it gives is very usefull after you get Infinty Edge and any time you have spare 300g after that really boosts his dps.

Also grab a Golem buff every time you see it up the reduced cooldowns plus the mana regen really allows you to spam your abilities having your ult up so much just gives you so much more ganking oppurtunites.

Personally Teleport is a must for Malph he's a slow character getting teleport it keeps you on the front lines longer which means more xp more gold only exception to this is on the new 3vs3 map it's very quick to run to the other lane. Get either exhaust or heal depending on your teams picks I wont comment on skills as Ryoshi already said what I would of recommended.

My item build

Meki pendant + 2 Health Potions
Philosophers Stone
Ninja Tabi or Mercury Treads
Phage (If its going well turn into Frozen Mallet)
Infinty Edge
Frozen Mallet
Phantom Dancer
Atma's Impaler/Last Whisper/BloodThirster based on enemy

Odinson 10-22-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryoshi (Hozzászólás 219434)
Not bad, seems a bit short of a guide, but it does indeed cover the basics of the dps monster Malphite.

As a Malphite player, I rather choose W over E. Even though the Ground Slam/Armor ability is great, it is much more suited for Tank Malphite. I prefer the W ability for its ability to take down towers quickly, and its ability to creep quicker. You may think the spread damage is minimal at the beginning, but it adds up especially when you get to doing more damage.

I would discourage calling Malphite a semi-tank with this build. Even with his passive, Malphite is still a bit flimsy, and I usually get Frozen Mallet to give him an additional slow and the big boost to HP. Just because you can chase, doesn't mean you should.

I agree with you on this one W over E for damage build +70% damage at top end makes you rip through towers, heroes, Dragon, baron you name it it kills it.

Also if you want better splash damage take a Tiamat this will increase your splash damage to 100%

Scadi 10-27-2009 10:17 PM

I put this item build into the stats calculator and got some interesting result..

http://completelol.com/wiki/Champion..._76_56_88_36_8

Over 600+ dps wuth 70% critical is pretty sick... Although I agree this is not a tank build, a little balance with more hp will be nice.

Bait 10-27-2009 10:57 PM

i like ruby crystal -> catalyst -> mercury treads -> aegis.

ArchReaper 10-27-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bait (Hozzászólás 234992)
i like ruby crystal -> catalyst -> mercury treads -> aegis.

That's personal opinion but those items don't support my build at all - that's a tank build. If you read my guide you will realize that I made a DPS build.