League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Dominion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Dominion is way too complicated (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1792019)

Viktoree 02-05-2012 07:30 PM

Dominion is way too complicated

After playing 300+ games in Dominion (mostly solo queue) I've come to the conclusion that it's much too complicated for the average player. I mean sure it's just the same basic King of the Hill game type most of us have played in a zillion games before and not to mention as kids outdoors on actual hills... But, I still feel it must be too complicated for the average players because how else do you explain:

- Running around in the jungle all game (The jungle being that part of the map that doesn't require capping/defending)

- Chasing kills that your teammate obviously has on lock down just to better your own precious score when there's a tower sitting there that you know, you could be capping (Last time I checked tower capping was somewhat important in Dominion, although after my last few games I'm wondering if that's still the case).

- Not capping the tower while your teammate is fighting under it and taking damage from both the tower and enemy champ (not that neutralizing the tower would help your teammate take less damage or anything, hell he's probably taking tower hits and fighting that champ just for luls and you know, not so you can cap or anything).

- Running past a neutral tower so you can join in a team fight your team is already winning (and even if they're losing i'm sure you dying or killing an enemy or two is a much bigger help to your team then having towers...)

- Picking nothing but the squishiest champions available (even though you can clearly see your team already has the required 1-2 squishy's and no tank, tanky dps or support, but hey what are the chances you'll all get blown up right?)

- Fighting off point (Pft who needs the extra damage from the tower, what could that possibly help? Besides you're a big man and you don't need no stinky tower help takin down these scrubs right? It's either that or you don't think it's fair for your team to have an advantage in any fight so you refuse to accept the towers help).

I'm sure there's many many many more things that point towards Dominion being much too complicated for the average player, but it's late and i'm tired.

Mibuwolf 02-05-2012 07:49 PM

OP is just venting his anger. Nothing to see here.

Aroyok 02-05-2012 08:31 PM

What the OP is describing is why Dom is "immature" right now. So many people don't know how to play it, and if Riot were to flip the switch right now, the results would be less than satisfactory.

Notorious Reed 02-05-2012 08:43 PM

Dominion is imbalanced because Riot fixes champs based on how they perform in Summoner's Rift. When champions who have trouble farming in Summoner's Rift get items HANDED to them, they become too strong. And that is why Tanks are way too imbalanced in Dominion, they get their items too quickly and can plummet through squishy champs who can farm easily.

larkhill 02-05-2012 08:54 PM

if dominion is too complicated for someone, they can ask for help. theres plenty of people willing to help out. if they cant do that, i dont really want them on my team anyway...

Ppvkignx 02-05-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viktoree (Hozzászólás 20632776)
After playing 300+ games in Dominion (mostly solo queue) I've come to the conclusion that it's much too complicated for the average player. I mean sure it's just the same basic King of the Hill game type most of us have played in a zillion games before and not to mention as kids outdoors on actual hills... But, I still feel it must be too complicated for the average players because how else do you explain:

- Running around in the jungle all game (The jungle being that part of the map that doesn't require capping/defending)

- Chasing kills that your teammate obviously has on lock down just to better your own precious score when there's a tower sitting there that you know, you could be capping (Last time I checked tower capping was somewhat important in Dominion, although after my last few games I'm wondering if that's still the case).

- Not capping the tower while your teammate is fighting under it and taking damage from both the tower and enemy champ (not that neutralizing the tower would help your teammate take less damage or anything, hell he's probably taking tower hits and fighting that champ just for luls and you know, not so you can cap or anything).

- Running past a neutral tower so you can join in a team fight your team is already winning (and even if they're losing i'm sure you dying or killing an enemy or two is a much bigger help to your team then having towers...)

- Picking nothing but the squishiest champions available (even though you can clearly see your team already has the required 1-2 squishy's and no tank, tanky dps or support, but hey what are the chances you'll all get blown up right?)

- Fighting off point (Pft who needs the extra damage from the tower, what could that possibly help? Besides you're a big man and you don't need no stinky tower help takin down these scrubs right? It's either that or you don't think it's fair for your team to have an advantage in any fight so you refuse to accept the towers help).

I'm sure there's many many many more things that point towards Dominion being much too complicated for the average player, but it's late and i'm tired.

- Controlling the jungle is huge. Denying stormshields will win you fights, as will ganking/chunking enemies going for it or heading to windmill (nid ftw). Being MIA in jungle also applies pressure to bot, and lets you prevent BDs/join fights anywhere on the map quickly.
Going for enemy mid is EXTREMELY situational. Unless you're rammus or blitzcrank, it is extremely easy to die trying to cap/neut it.

- Assisting in kills is pretty subjective. People make bad decisions; deal with it. That said, securing the kill is a safe choice.
I once got a quadra 1v4 at lvl 5-6 because all of them wrote me off as dead and tried to cap the point as I killed them 1 by 1.

- Turret diving is risky. Its really your fault if you dive and die doing so. Yes, starting to cap is often a good idea, but you'll be interrupted quickly.

- Joining the teamfight is usually the right choice, IMO. Losing that fight will result in your team not capping the point, and probably losing 1-2 other points as well.

- Looking at your match history, you like playing glass cannons. Why do you think your teammates don't?

- People get baited, get caught, or otherwise make mistakes. I'm sure you do as well.

Fulgr1m 02-05-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroyok (Hozzászólás 20634801)
What the OP is describing is why Dom is "immature" right now. So many people don't know how to play it, and if Riot were to flip the switch right now, the results would be less than satisfactory.

A lot of wisdom right here. Summoners Rift was out for like a YEAR (including beta) before it had ranked. And if you really think about it even more time before that with DoTA.

But OP I feel your pain about how stupid some people can be when playing Dominion. I just want to assure you that as you get into higher ELO people DO get better, and Dominion gets a lot more fun and manageable. And I know the whole "get better ELO" thing is... quite frankly old but it's true! And don't give me the whole "but my team mates hold me back!" excuse, I got to higher ELO and I had to climb just like everybody else dude! You can do it, just have to be dedicated!

larkhill 02-05-2012 09:06 PM

SR had a year of riot focusing all their time to making it ready for ranked.

dominion hasnt gotten riot' attention since day 10 or so when the pro's stopped playing. dominion was a publicity stunt that failed.

honestly, we dont need ranked. i could care less. everyone uses jabebot anyway. all riot has to do is not screw it up and we'll be fine. when they decide to focus on dominon, they can come to us and ask us how to do it. but for now, let them worry about SR. i'll take my smaller community over their giant one any day

Basoosh 02-05-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroyok (Hozzászólás 20634801)

What the OP is describing are tales of stupidity and greed, not actual problems with the map. Summoner's Rift has had ranked for quite awhile, and I can guarantee you that I have equally hilarious and pitiful stories of dumb from that map.

I think the big two things that throw people off of Dominion are the increased spawn times for winning teams and the "below 125" special rules on nexus health. These rules are not plainly obvious and are not really explained well (or perhaps at all - I haven't read the start-up tips in a long time). This leads to miraculous comebacks or devastating losses that players don't understand. They then get confused and leave. In my opinion, these are the big problems with the map.

Ppvkignx 02-05-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basoosh (Hozzászólás 20636149)
I think the big two things that throw people off of Dominion are the increased spawn times for winning teams and the "below 125" special rules on nexus health. These rules are not plainly obvious and are not really explained well (or perhaps at all - I haven't read the start-up tips in a long time). This leads to miraculous comebacks or devastating losses that players don't understand. They then get confused and leave. In my opinion, these are the big problems with the map.

"Miraculous comebacks", IMO, are not usually a result of spawn time changes. They're because of a team starting to coordinate, late game champs like Ryze/Kog'maw/Swain, or the previously winning team getting cocky and dying in stupid situations.