League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I'm saying it: Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1723873)

iainB85 01-18-2012 06:42 AM

I'm saying it: Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic

Hi all, I've listened to all the feedback and enjoyed this thread a lot, it fostered a lot of good discussion. Even the people who can't voice their opinions without throwing personal insults provided some insight to the thread occasionally :)

I still absolutely believe that last hitting is an uninteresting mechanical skill, and that it brings about a boring first 10-15 minutes of this game.

I also recognize that champions and the current summoner's rift game mode have been balanced with this system in mind, so a document outlining four or five changes simply wouldn't be enough to create a fun and interesting system to replace it. Instead, it would need to be an entirely new game mode, such as Dominion. Personally, Dominion falls a little short for me, as they completely took away the base v base theme and made it round robin theme, but it's a good example of how you can't just modify a few things. The starting level, leveling rate, global gold gain, unique items, etc, etc all had to be tweaked and fine tuned to get anything playable and fun.

I dream of a new game mode in the future that has some the core concepts that so many people have talked about and liked in this thread, but I concede that remaking Summoner's Rift into this would have to be an entirely new game mode.

I will leave the two documents up for people's reference:
Doc v1: Proximity Based Gold Gain / Risk Zones
Doc v2: Pick-up Based Gold Gain / Assault Zones

Again thanks to everyone who made this thread so big, and thanks to the dev posts with your take on this subject. I think it got some wheels turning (at least mine) and showed there's support for the moba scene to grow this way in the future!

Rage Nymph 01-18-2012 06:44 AM

If League doesn't do this then some other game will.

League will be left behind.

hohohohoking 01-18-2012 06:44 AM

I was always thinking that minions got killed by non-champions (turrets and friendly minions) should give gold to a team gold pool and passively increase team stats (e.g. turret damage or regeneration speed etc.)

ArkthePieKing 01-18-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iainB85 (Hozzászólás 19877669)
Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic carried over from a Warcraft 3 mod where killing NPC's by default gave you gold. It's not only archaic, it's flat out a bad game mechanic that fosters mindless "whack-a-mole" gameplay in order to be effective at an otherwise immersive, rewarding team-based game.

The upcomming "Blizzard dota" already announced that last hitting will not be a mechanic of the game, and gold will be shared based on proximity and contribution factors. This inherently promotes non-damage type rolls such as tank, crowd control, and support. It also promotes more dynamic team play as instead of staring at hit point bars trying to land the last hit, players have more incentive to be agressive, push lanes, work as a team, and focus on their champion and what they can accomplish with their skill set (does it really make sense for champions to have all this power but run back and forth waiting to finish off NPC's so they don't "push" their lane too far -- is this mechanic really fun?!).

I strongly beleive this is where moba style games are going to go in the future, and I hope that LoL will be able to adapt in time, as I love the champions, art, and frequent updates they provide.

TLDR; Gold based on lane / proximity contribution instead of landing the last hit on things promotes better gameplay and player experience, and is where games are going in the future: don't get left behind LoL!

Honestly, I still promote last hitting as an extra layer of depth, but I'd really like to see a very small amount of splash gold so 0 cs supports can do *something* besides be walking GP/5 ward machines, and it also gives a little leeway to new players who have trouble last hitting, or aggressive players who'd rather harass instead of farm. It also takes some of the pressure off of being based at your tower for 20 minutes.

GenActive13 01-18-2012 06:45 AM

I have to agree, the last hitting style of game play is a large factor in these stale meta's we are stuck in. In truth I'd be happy with any change out of this type of gameplay for something more diverse.
+1 OP, well written.

MoLiva 01-18-2012 06:46 AM

I think last hitting adds a certain skill element as there is a fine balance of things you need to do in lane. Harass, avoid harassment, last hit, set up ganks, and avoid being ganked all at the same time separates the good players from the bad.

iainB85 01-18-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Honestly, I still promote last hitting as an extra layer of depth
Is it really a layer of depth though? Can you imagine how much more fun the game would be, with all of it's champions, if we didn't have a base mechanic that promoted passive play and not being agressive within your lane?

When I watch the top ELO streamers ignore the turret so they can continue to safely farm CS for the first twenty minutes of the game (most evident in the current top game meta) I can't help but feel there is something wrong with the current system and what it promotes gameplay wise.

Miss Lilly Satou 01-18-2012 06:48 AM

So people who aoe farm the creep and push the turret wins, while single target loses their farm to towers.

IS1a891f5612670b 01-18-2012 06:48 AM

They took out denying, might as well remove last hitting, I'm okay with this. Promotes agressive play.

Bondo 01-18-2012 06:49 AM

There was a WCIII moba game called AoM (Age of Myths?) where you got gold just by being near creeps when they died. It's not a hard system to implement with some balance tweaking.