League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sejuani and female champs (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1702148)

Loďc 01-12-2012 07:46 PM

Sejuani and female champs

So I was going to post something in another thread, but it got closed before I managed to. It was essentially about how the OP was disappointed that Sejuani doesn't look strong and wears (relatively) little clothing. But I felt like this was a point worth making, and so I'm just going to put it out there.

People were responding with comments like, "You're expecting realism out of a fantasy game?" and generally responded very negatively (which I found completely baffling), but in general I think they were missing the point the OP was trying to make. It's not that it's unrealistic that she's so small. Tryndamere really couldn't swing that sword with one hand like he does realistically. The problem is that this is yet another female champ that has the exact same body type as practically every other (adult human) female champ, that body type being thin, frail, and busty. The skimpy clothes is just gravy to this insult, but seeing as she's a barbarian-type lady and riding a giant boar I think we can let that one go.

Now, I like Sejuani's design, from what I've seen. She's got a unique weapon among the champs (keeping in line with one of my favorite features of LoL, that almost no champions share the same weapon), she looks good, she's got an awesome boar mount (also awesome and distinct in it's own way from the other champs). But I, similarly to the person who posted that other thread, think that she should look strong, and that's a very reasonable thing to want. She must be a strong lady to lift her flail and shield, or even ride her mount. But she doesn't look it. None of the female champs look particularly strong. But the male champs are not only more varied, but their body types support their character. Strong warrior champs are big. Makes sense, right? Casters tend to be thinner. There's a lot of variety among the male champs in terms of body type. But all the female champs are just lingerie models, regardless of the size of their weapon or the weight of their armor (I'm looking at you and your plate mail heels, Leona).

This is a problem with most games, and while I love League of Legends, they're very guilty of falling into this trend. Men are varied and appropriately proportioned, women are thin and busting out of their tops regardless of who they are or what they do. I really wish Riot would change this. Their designs are fun and interesting and varied (and only seem to get better and better, go Riot!), and it's completely within their power to change this particular aspect of character design, but they never seem to. It's hugely disappointing, and there's really no need for it. :(

These popped up on Kotaku just recently, and while they're not written for the same reason I'm commenting on this, they're about the same issue, and definitely worth a read.

http://kotaku.com/5868595/nerds-and-male-privilege
http://kotaku.com/5873885/nerds-and-male-privilege-part-2-deconstructing-the-arguments

EggChuYung 01-12-2012 07:50 PM

There's a reason for this standardized female physique. But you all already know.

Contagioned 01-12-2012 07:51 PM

I'm sure if Riot didn't care about gaining fans and making money, they'd make giant burly women all their characters

Loďc 01-12-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by istronglikebull (Hozzászólás 19638788)
There's a reason for this standardized female physique.

It's not a terribly good reason, though. The obvious answer would be that they want to pander to the 18-35 male demographic that dominates gaming culture. But this is a terrible reason to stick to this "standardized female physique." It's insulting and alienating for women (and some men like myself), it's kind of juvenile, and it's more than a little sad that the developers don't think players will like a female character unless she's packing double Ds.

MaybeitsMalzahar 01-12-2012 07:54 PM

Well who the hell wants to play as a gross fat/uber muscular chick?

EggChuYung 01-12-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loďc (Hozzászólás 19638882)
It's not a terribly good reason, though. The obvious answer would be that they want to pander to the 18-35 male demographic that dominates gaming culture. But this is a terrible reason to stick to this "standardized female physique." It's insulting and alienating for women (and some men like myself), it's kind of juvenile, and it's more than a little sad that the developers don't think players will like a female character unless she's packing double Ds.

I whole-heartedly agree with you. But the numbers and marketing don't lie. Everybody knows the phrase "*** Sells.", and it's painfully true.

On the other hand, there are female gamers who like the idea of lusty women being able to destroy those tryndamere-types. Empowerment stuff, you know?

Gabriel Calder 01-12-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FROMTHEMAUSOLEUM (Hozzászólás 19638930)
Well who the hell wants to play as a gross fat/uber muscular chick?

Because obviously somebody can't be the slightest overweight or muscular without suddenly becoming morbidly obese or a bodybuilder.

STOP THINKING IN EXTREMES.

Loďc 01-12-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contagioned (Hozzászólás 19638836)
I'm sure if Riot didn't care about gaining fans and making money, they'd make giant burly women all their characters

This isn't exactly what I meant. I simply believe that if a character is meant to be physically powerful, it should be reflected in the character design. For champions like Janna and Ahri (whose exceptional looks are actually part of their character's background), having an hourglass figure and ample cleavage is fine. But it shouldn't be the rule for all female characters, and neither should "giant burly women."

Contagioned 01-12-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loďc (Hozzászólás 19638882)

You realize almost all of the males that are showing stomach have six packs and uber muscles, right? I'm not going to count males from species that look nothing like humans for obvious reasons. So why don't you complain next time a male character isn't a fatass? It alienates all fatasses that can't stand looking at these muscular men.

ViashinoWizard 01-12-2012 07:56 PM

I do feel Sejuani should be more buff. Not freaky muscle-growth-fetish bulky, but something along the lines of muscular female characters from, say, Street Fighter or comic books.