League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Dominion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   (guide) Kog'maw , the hungry void beast (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1670786)

Zzym 01-02-2012 10:48 PM

(guide) Kog'maw , the hungry void beast

I wrote a guide for dominatedominion and i though i d share it with you all . Feel free to discuss and critic it . Just please stay civil and such . English is only my second language and it s my first guide really .

Depending on the reaction , i might write a soraka guide .

Kog'maw .

This is one of the most damaging champion around . His biggest drawback his is squishiness , lack of CC and escape mechanism . In that regard , i have found that you absolutly have to play him in an offensive defensive way (paradox?) .

Playing kog is all about reading your oppenent's team . You have to see who is AD , who is AP , if there is alot of CC , if there is alot of gap closer , etc , etc .

You have to build in a way where you'll gain defensive stats without sacrificing offence too much . In every game , you should have a different build . There is no definite set in the stone build .

Runes

For kog , i usually use magic pen red , %health yellow and cdr/lvl blue .

I play kog mostly as an on hit champion . So magic pen is a most , plus it boost your W's damage . The %health is for the extra beefyness . The cdr/lvl is so you can spam that E and Q alot more (those are your most damaging skills pre lvl 6) .

You could switch for armor or even attack speed yellow . It depend how you want it . I simply prefer the extra beefyness .

Skills

When the game start , i usually take a point in W and two in E . At level four , i take a point in my Q for the 10% attack speed . Than i level my skills in this priority : R , W , E , Q .

The reasonning behind this is , at the windmill fight , your E is incredibly usefull . Being lvl 2 , it has a nice damage , plus the AOE slow will give hell to your oppenent . I don t max Q until the end since i don t use the skill that much . I really only have it for the passive attack speed it gives or some times when in a tight situation where i need either to boost a bit my damage by lowering armor or by having a small extra burst (like when your blinded) . You should usually be too far away to actually hit someone with your Q .

Maxing your W is good for when you have many on hit items . With your magic pen , it will simply destroy anything that stand in your way ... and doesn t actually target you .

I max the E after the W for one reason . When you see a quick creep wave passing , you cast your E followed by a R and you nearly killed all the creeps . Easy money and fast pushing power . Plus when you use your E on someone , it will actually hurt them .

Masteries

For masteries , i usually use one of two build .

21/9/0 or 21/8/1

Item Build

This is where it gets tricky . You need to read how your oppenent is building so you can counter them without sacrificing too much offence .

I usually start with boot 1 and a vampiric scepter .

Than i upgrade them immediatly . If the team is AD oriented , get tabi . If AP oriented , get merc . If you feel like stomping people or simply wanna go glass cannon , take zerker or even sorc boot (remember , your on hit effects is magical damage) .

Than i buy an attack speed item . If the other team has jax , buy a sword of the divine . If the other team is AP , build a wit's end . If the team has alot of stealth , lightbringer . If the team is AD , sadly there isn't much option against them , so buy a malady , it'll raise your overall damage .

Than i buy a razor .

After this i tend to buy some defence . A phage do nicely plus it gives you a slow wich , with your high AS , will simply become too OP .

When the phage is done , i usually upgrade the vampiric scepter in a stark's fervor . It will boost your life steal , regen AND give a nice boost to your teamates . Everyone will love you ! With stark , you'll be able to auto attack creeps in between fights to heal yourself back a bit by late game .

Than if the game last longer . You upgrade the phage to either a frozen mallet (if you need more defence) or an entropy (if you need more bang) .

By that time , the game is usually finished .

If you wish to maximise your damage and go complete glass cannon . Wich can be an option if you have a good team to babysit you , your build would look like something like this :

sorc boot
malady
razor
wit s end
entropy
(random items depending on the situation)

Gameplay

Playing Kog can be hard . Always keep someone in between you and the ennemies , even if it's an Ashe . The 3 seconds it'll take to kill Ashe is enough for you to either flee the hell out or soften your ennemie so you can kill em . Try to stay around those that can CC your ennemies . Stun , slow , root are all your friends . Blitz is a nice combo with kog . He pull , you kill . Rammus , jax , Udyr , Sion are all good exemple of champs to follow .

The skills order to use when you wanna kill someone is simple . Send your E on the ennemie , than R on him , activate W and than auto attack them . Sending an R once in a while will never hurt . Using your Q if they are close enough can be a nice burst and will help raise your overall damage .

Don't walk around too much solo . It can be done , even succesfully , but it's very risky .

When you know you will die , that you simply won't survive . Stand your ground and fight . Soften them up . When you die , try and use your passive to either kill them , soften them up for someone else to kill them or stop them from capping a point .

Alot of people think the passive is mostly useless , but if you use it wisely , it can give some trouble to your ennemies .

This is about it for the guide . It's not much , i know . Bare in mind that it's my first guide and that english isn't my first language and that i am in NO WAY a pro with kog . This is simply how i play him and i tend to be ok at playing him . The way i build him works for me , it doesn't mean it will work for everyone .

P.S. I just realized i'm on my smurf account , so don't go all berserk cause i'm low lvl

Hope you guys like this !

And remember ... FEED THE VOID BEAST !

Zzym 01-03-2012 04:57 PM

no comment ?

666shadow666 01-03-2012 10:29 PM

ive played over 50% of my games as kog. ive tried many different builds, from yours, to I spark, to hyb. but with out a doubt the best build ive found starts with wits end, zerker boots, malady, PD, then IE. thus build slays any and all, most times ill die while killing 2 in a 3v1. try it and see how you like it =D

p.s. my runes are atk speed marks glyphs and seals, with movement speed quin

Degnared 01-04-2012 08:33 AM

I tend to shy away from AS/on-hit on Koggie. His sole function is to deal tons of damage, and I'm almost positive that he does that best with an AD build. IEdge + Phantom Dancer + Last Whisper/Sanguine Blade (Depending on whether they are building armor) will give you more damage than any other build for your gold.

However, there are reasons to switch things up. My build order is often BF sword -> vamp scepter -> zeal. The life steal and move speed are very important if you can't just right click to victory, which is very frequently the case with Dominion's mobility-emphasized game play. Phage is a great buy if you find yourself needing the slow and the HP, and it can be upgraded to a Frozen Mallet if the game goes on long enough (don't buy one super early though, you need to deal lots of damage to be relevant).

As/On-hit Kog still does a good amount of damage, so it can often be worth it if you pick Kog early, then your team decides it's a good idea to pick 4 more AD champs.

I think the bottom line is that Kog is a very flexible champion, which is one of the reasons that I enjoy playing him so much. Even these two common "standard" builds aren't the only way to go. I've had great success in certain match-ups with AP Kog (tear -> death cap, then stack AA staves. Laugh at champs like Heimer and Malz that simply can't cope when their opponent out-ranges them). I've even done okay going Rageblade -> Triforce, just for ****s.

Purpleskoal 01-04-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Degnared (Hozzászólás 19313032)
I tend to shy away from AS/on-hit on Koggie. His sole function is to deal tons of damage, and I'm almost positive that he does that best with an AD build. IEdge + Phantom Dancer + Last Whisper/Sanguine Blade (Depending on whether they are building armor) will give you more damage than any other build for your gold.

On hit has a smoother overall game, AD builds take awhile to get going.

Degnared 01-04-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purpleskoal (Hozzászólás 19314719)
On hit has a smoother overall game, AD builds take awhile to get going.

Absolutely true, but I find that the awkward time before you get your BF sword + zeal only lasts for a little while, and you aren't really expected to carry that early anyway (e.g., AP carries will be doing way more damage no matter what you do). Further, Kog actually has nukes that scale well with levels to help out his early game, and that helps smooth out his scaling more than most champions who don't have the same build flexibility to begin with.

The really clutch time to be playing a well-geared Kog'Maw (or any AD carry) is later in the game, where your damage to second to none.

Edit: note that AD is pretty much locked in to getting your BF sword as your first big item, or you simply delay your damage too long. I typically start with boots + prospectors, then almost always save up for the BF sword. Upgrading to boots two, buying an early zeal, or geting a really early vamp scepter may seem like nice ways to smooth out your progression, but you risk being a non-factor. If your team is losing badly and you simply NEED to start making a difference and can't wait for that 1650g, then switching to on-hit and grabbing a Malady or SotD is a reasonable alternative.

evilXkilla 01-04-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Degnared (Hozzászólás 19313032)

However, there are reasons to switch things up. My build order is often BF sword -> vamp scepter -> zeal. The life steal and move speed are very important if you can't just right click to victory, which is very frequently the case with Dominion's mobility-emphasized game play. Phage is a great buy if you find yourself needing the slow and the HP, and it can be upgraded to a Frozen Mallet if the game goes on long enough (don't buy one super early though, you need to deal lots of damage to be relevant).

As/On-hit Kog still does a good amount of damage, so it can often be worth it if you pick Kog early, then your team decides it's a good idea to pick 4 more AD champs.

I think the bottom line is that Kog is a very flexible champion, which is one of the reasons that I enjoy playing him so much. Even these two common "standard" builds aren't the only way to go. I've had great success in certain match-ups with AP Kog (tear -> death cap, then stack AA staves. Laugh at champs like Heimer and Malz that simply can't cope when their opponent out-ranges them). I've even done okay going Rageblade -> Triforce, just for ****s.

By the time you have IE and phantoms the game will be over. I'm personally extremely against AD carries that have to buy 2 expensive items to do any damage.

On-topic. Good guide, I'd switch out runes for ArmorPen and put on Sorc shoes for that mage pen. It should be enough along with hybrid masteries (29 points in offensive).

...that being said I personally do not think Kog is a top carry (personal opinion) due to lack of escapes and how easily he can be focused and anhiliated mid-late game

Sir Headless VII 01-04-2012 08:21 PM

The way I play glass cannon kog maw is AD. Generally along the lines of

berserkers greaves - > zeal -> BF sword -> upgrade to infinty edge -> upgrade to Phantom dancer -> cloak of agility (at this point you have a 73% chance to crit at 250% damage) -> upgrade to atmas impaler -> another phantom dancer or anything else you need because you will be melting them at this point.

the reason i like that build is because by the time you get a second phantom dancer you are doing 1020 DPS and no one can stop you. You are EXTREMELY squishy though (your only defensive item is atmas).

Warrrrax 01-05-2012 10:38 AM

It has been shown via spreadsheet analysis that onhit deals more damage than AD/crit until it breaks even at around 12000 gold worth of stuff. Magical damage also tends to be more difficult to resist and negate relative to physical damage (thornmail anyone?).

Therefore I agree with the AS/onhit build. While I like the movespeed boost of PD/IE, you mine as well play Vayne/Trist/Ashe/etc with that kind of build as they have more mobility and better skill synergy with AD/crit.

For a dominion guide, I would recommend starting with Zerker Boots, a Dagger, and health pot. The speed is definitely helpful as is the 25% AS for relatively cheap.

I would take 1 point in each skill. You will actually use the 70 damage debuff Nuke of Q at windmill, and the 10% AS is worth a good 250 gold.
2 levels of E only adds 45ish extra damage, so having 1 level has the same slow effect.
You of course want W to boost your range and autoattack power.

Masteries: What exactly do you take? I prefer taking 0/21/9 on Kog to pick up both movespeed boosters and increase his toughness early on. Offense is more geared towards boosting AP or AD, and you are neither.
Sure the AS boost is awesome, but you dont really need the CDR all that much, nor lifesteal, crit, etc.

Items:

Sword of Divine is the best way to boost DPS as a first item. I recommend taking SotD first, followed by Wits End for the extra onhit, AS, and magic resistance. The armor pen clickey is most useful early game when you deal a good chunk of physical and their armor is low.

Tactics:

It should be mentioned that Kog makes an exceptional top defender. He can hide in the top bushes and interrupt any Cap attempt indefinitely with his Ult. This forces the enemy to go all the way up top to get to you.
You then give them a Puke Carpet to wade through, and blast them into pieces before they can get there.

Even vs multiple foes, it dramatically increases how long you can hold out.

Kog also can use his Ult as a scouting tool to avoid facechecking the brush.

Cyxe 01-05-2012 12:16 PM

Appreciate the contribution. Won't help much for an experienced Kog player, but mostly good stuff in here. Perhaps write a little about what items you get for different situations. There's only a few: Versus tanks, casters, other range carries, or tanky melee DPS. What summoner spells do you take, and why? In draft, at least, you'll be able to modify your build according to what you're about to face