League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hitting Like a Scion: AP Sion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=15608)

Quinnister 10-03-2009 05:21 PM

Hitting Like a Scion: AP Sion

Hitting like a Scion: AP Sion

(Updated 10/10/09)

I. Introduction

when I first started playing LoL, I was naturally attracted to burst DPS casters like Ryze and Annie. My main problem with them was that it always felt like I needed to massively outscore the competition to do well. If I didn't, I was either too squishy to compete, or couldn't deal enough damage. Sion, however, is unique in that I believe he packs solid caster burst DPS and lasting power.

II. Stats
Health 473 (+104 / per level)
Mana 175 (+25 / per level)
Move Speed 310
Armor 17.75 (+3.25 / per level)
Spell Block 30 (+0 / per level)
Critical Strike 2.2 (+0.3 / per level)
Health Regen 1.62 (+0.2 / per level)
Mana Regen 0.76 (+0.04 / per level)
Range 125

III. Abilities

Feel No Pain - Sion has a 20% chance to ignore up to 30/40/50 damage each time he is attacked. The damage reduction is calculated before armor benefits are taken into account.

- Not much can be said about this passive. It's a nice passive which reduces a bit of damage.

Cryptic Gaze - Sion's stare terrifies a single enemy, dealing damage and stunning them.
Blasts a single enemy, dealing 70 / 125 / 180 / 240 / 300 (+1 per ability power) magic damage and stunning for 2 seconds.

- Cryptic Gaze gets more damage and a reduced cooldown for every level you put into it. The AP ratio is money on it. Although a Banshee's Veil can stop you from initiating with it, it's a very good spell to have around.

Death's Caress - Sion surrounds himself with a damage absorbing shield. If the shield is not destroyed in 10 seconds then it will explode, dealing damage to surrounding enemies.
Sion surrounds himself with a shield which absorbs 120 / 170 / 220 / 270 / 320 (+1 per ability power) damage. If the shield is not destroyed in 10 seconds, it will explode, dealing 120 / 170 / 220 / 270 / 320 (+1 per ability power) magic damage to surrounding enemies.
Cast again to manually detonate.
- Meet my favorite spell in the game. The AP ratio on Sion's Shield is solid at 1:1. Not only does it eat up damage, but it deals a ton. Have it on when in any fight and use it as your main damage move to follow up a stun or just to deal a nice bit of damage to everyone around you. The other great thing about it: it destroys creep waves in an instant.

Enrage - While active Sion deals extra physical damage at the cost of health. Additionally, he gains maximum health permanently whenever he kills a unit.
Toggle: Increase Sion's damage by 25 / 35 / 45 / 55 / 65, and he gains 1 / 2 / 2 / 3 / 3 maximum health per kill.
- Enrage is a money spell, baby. Sion is a great farmer and the extra health on a creep kill is excellent.

Cannibalism - Sion consumes some of his enemies life force on each attack, leeching health to himself and nearby allies. The smell of flesh also renews Sion's fervor, increasing his attack speed.
Grants Sion 50 / 75 / 100% lifesteal and 50% attack speed for 20 seconds, additionally Sion's attacks heal surrounding allies for 25 / 38 / 50% of damage dealt.
- Sion's ult is excellent at healing the team when you're a physical DPS masher but we're an AP class. One level in it is recommended because it helps you destroy towers faster and jungle far easier.

IV. Runes

I am a fan of armor penetration marks because we likely won't be dealing many critical hits. The other marks give little benefit for an AP Sion.

As for seals, there are multiple paths you can take. MR/18 is a solid one because it can help your magic resist, especially if you don't grab the Abyssal Scepter. Taking AP here is permissible because AP Sion makes good use of AP.

One thing which is key on one Sion build is the MP5 glyphs. Sion has an MP problem throughout most of the game with my build, but it disappears late game and can be fixed early game with a golem buff. If you go the Rod of Ages route, however, I suggest taking AP to make up for the AP gap between the two builds.

As for Quints, there are multiple paths to be taken. Taking HP quints makes Sion quite tanky in the early game and hard to kill but I haven't had much of a problem with this. Taking AP quints will give you a solid 20+ AP at lv18. Taking spell penetration quints can work later in the game but, given how the shield and Lich Bane work, I prefer AP.

V. Masteries

9/0/21, 21/0/9, 9/21/0. I've used all of these and found them to be effective. 9/0/21 lends itself more to the pure damage build because you can get the +time with the golem buff. 9/21/0 lets you survive more and get Ardor, which will boost your AP rather nicely while keeping something like the Upgraded Exhaust. 21/0/9 will just let you do more damage overall.

VI. Summoner Abilities

Teleport lets you move around quickly and get to lanes. When you die or buy early on, teleport greatly helps you reduce the amount of gold and exp you miss. I highly suggest using it because I find myself buying often early game with Sion.

Upgraded Exhaust is a great summoner spell to take because it really aids your killing ability. It reduces their MR which can bring up your total magic damage by up to 18% and gives a nice slow for Sion. The main problem with taking Exhaust is that you must either fore-go taking a move to flee or getting rid of teleport.

Flash is never a bad choice because it will let you escape many things. Sion's escape without Flash or Ghost relies on hoping you don't get slowed while you have your shield up and trying to stun everyone who is on your tail. Flash could really help you get out of a stick situation.

Ghost is Flash's little brother with the quicker cooldown. In an offensive situation where someone is just out of your stun range, ghost is very effective. The lower cooldown is the big factor for using ghost over flash.

Ignite is the new summoner spell which I've had modest success using. With the mastery, Ignite gives +10 AP while it is on cooldown and delivers 500 pure damage at level 18. I found that it gives Sion an effective 3rd damage spell to use and get kills but I, personally, would take one of the above. I would give it a shot at least once, though.

VII. Ability Build

1. Shield/Stun
2. Stun/Shield
3. Shield
4. Enrage

There are arguments to be made for every single choice to be taken at level 1. Shield gives you a 50 mana spell which does solid damage and is the best choice early on for harassing and is my choice if you go solo lane. Stun will get you a great shot at first blood depending who you lane with and has application there. Enrage just makes you hit much harder and will give you a nice harassing swing when needed.

From here on out, I priorize Shield > Gaze > Enrage > Ult. At level 6, however, take the ultimate. One level in it is great, but any more doesn't make sense on an AP build.

I advocate stopping upgrading shield at lv4 and then start maxing stun. Your shield will deal 50 less damage but your stun will deal 50 more. The best part of doing this, though, is the mana usage. Shield uses more mana with each level; Stun does not. This will save you 25 mana in every single 1-2 hit combo you do.

VIII. Item Build

1. Sapphire Crystal + 2 Health Pots

Sion is greatly lacking in mana and it turns into the Sheen. It's not quite as useful as a Mana Manipulator or any of those regen items but it is a considerable boost. The health pots will give you some more survivability early on.

2, 3, 4: Sheen, or Boots, or Sorc Boots

This depends on how much money you have when you get to buy. Sheen is around 860, Boots are 350, and Sorc Boots are 925, I think. The gist of it is that you want to get these items. If you're not feeling threatened in your lane, Sheen is amazing for early DPS. Otherwise, grab the Sorc Boots and take your 33 AP. Either way, you need to get Sheen and Sorc Boots by the end.

From here, there are two builds I have been using. I have split the guide accordingly.

Raw AP Build (More damage, less HP, relies more heavily on golem buff for AP or Clarity Runes)
5: Mejai's Soulstealer

On many mages, Mejai is a nice trap. They boost their AP considerably but sell their soul to the devil because they are incredibly squishy. Sion is a lucky man because he is not a squishy mage. He can get the nice 70 + 70 AP item and run with it.

6. Lich's Bane

Think about Sion's move set. When you stun someone with an AP build, you're going to get 1 or maybe 2 blows in with physical attacks. This means you want to maximize the damage in those blows. This is a huge burst DPS boost for Sion.

7. Zhonya's Ring

Zhonya's Ring is well... Zhonya's Ring. This is an AP build where our attacks are buffed by AP via Lich's Bane and our Stun/Shield have nice AP ratios. Zhonya's Ring is just a straight DPS improvement.

8. Defense Items

At this point, I consider my DPS to be done. I enjoy going Guardian Angel here or Warmogs or a Frozen Heart. Either way, from here on out, I make myself tankier with the remaining item slot.

AP "Tank" Build (Less reliant, less killing power, more survival power)

5. Rod of Ages

Sion has MP problems; this really helps fix it. Sion also gets a nice boost in HP up easily into the 3k+ range. The AP boost isn't as good as the Mejai's will give you but the total utility of it is great.

6. Lich's Bane

Think about Sion's move set. When you stun someone with an AP build, you're going to get 1 or maybe 2 blows in with physical attacks. This means you want to maximize the damage in those blows. This is a huge burst DPS boost for Sion.

7. Abyssal Scepter

Reducing the MR of the enemies around you is a great thing and stacking MR is a great idea for living longer. It's a cheaper option than the Zhonya's Ring and doesn't pack the same punch but the reduction of MR of enemies around you could help your team more in a team fight. The overall damage buff from it is solid but it also gives you a nice bit of survivability.

8. Defense Items

At this point, I consider my DPS to be done. I enjoy going Guardian Angel here or Warmogs or a Frozen Heart. Either way, from here on out, I make myself tankier with the remaining item slot.

IX. In-Game Strategy

Early on, avoid using your stun and shield too much. Your MP is very low and you'll run yourself out quickly. Focus on last hitting and getting your Sorc Boots and/or Sheen as fast as possible.

When you get your ult, use it to jungle the golem. With your stun, shield, and ult together, you should end the golem fight near max health and possibly even more HP than you started. Even with the golem buff, however, you cannot spam your spells willy-nilly. It does greatly help your MP problem, however. Your ult can be used to attack towers or heal yourself on creeps from here on out, or if needed offensively in a team battle to heal the rest of your team. If you have the Rod of Ages build, however, your MP problems should be greatly lessened.

From here on in, use your shield to blow through creep waves as if they were nothing. Farming creeps should be incredibly simple.

When fighting another champion, your general combo is as follows: Activate shield, stun, attack, shield burst, attack. With Lich's Bane, this combo does a very great amount of damage.

If you have taken Exhaust, I use two main uses for it. One, initiating a fight: Upgraded Exhaust reduces the enemy MR and therefore means your shield and stun will hit up to 18% harder. Two, as the ending string of the combo. This will slow the enemy down as they may flee and can let you pull off another stun into another combo. If not, at least you can't smack you while your cooldowns are down.

Use the shield double proc to destroy buildings. Activate your shield to get one Lich, use ult, if possible, for another, then detonate your shield for a third. This also works well with the Sheen.

Late game, your MP5 runes should be kicking in full force and there should be only a small MP problem. Keep the Golem's buff, if possible, to avoid the MP problem all together. At this point in the game, Sion can do a huge amount of damage to a building. Activate and burst your shield at regular intervals to activate Lich's Bane and deal a huge blow to the tower each time.

X. Conclusions

I see AP Sion as a nice pub stomper character who can be very powerful during the early and mid game segments of the game. As soon as he buys Lich Bane, the last big upgrade for AP Sion, it is all down hill, although we're going down hill from a potentially very high point.

AP Sion suffers from a problem which he shares with Ryze: Banshee's Veil. Sion's damage comes from a grand total of two spells and blocking one of them stifles his utility or DPS greatly. In my opinion, this is what is going to stop Sion from being OP and put AP Sion right into the zone where Ryze is: considered overpowered by those who don't know how to stop it but is only mediocre to okay in higher levels of play. If the other team begins using Banshee's Veil, you will be highly ineffective in battle unless the shield is down. Banshee's Veil shuts Sion down harder than Ryze; at least Ryze can waste his Overload to get it down to let him prison and ult but Sion has no such luxury.

Ithryn 10-03-2009 05:33 PM

Saw someone using this today. It's completely insane with the new changes to sion. He went something like 25-5, it was insane. I'm expecting a nerf on it soon. Granted, he was also laning with Guinsoo who was wrecking face in the game too.

Quinnister 10-03-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ithryn (Hozzászólás 166439)
Saw someone using this today. It's completely insane with the new changes to sion. He went something like 25-5, it was insane. I'm expecting a nerf on it soon.

I have to admit, post-buff, Sion has been very good for me. I had been playing Sion before and had been going with the same basic damage combo, except timing the shield explosion to hit while the enemy is stunned. The big difference for me is the fact that Sion is much more reliable at farming now that he can detonate at any given time and the fact that I can pull off the stun-lich-explosion combo more often than I could before.

Ithryn 10-03-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanji Watsuki (Hozzászólás 166444)
I have to admit, post-buff, Sion has been very good for me. I had been playing Sion before and had been going with the same basic damage combo, except timing the shield explosion to hit while the enemy is stunned. The big difference for me is the fact that Sion is much more reliable at farming now that he can detonate at any given time and the fact that I can pull off the stun-lich-explosion combo more often than I could before.

Yeah, I just gave it a try myself and honestly, it's broken. If you're smart with your shield, you kill more or less every creep and get health for it. By late mid-game/early late-game, your shield/stun/lichbane combo pretty much one shots anything but tanks. 35 minutes in, I had 1000 damage on my shield. It's even worse when you consider that it also blocks about that much damage on top of dealing it if you use it smart.

I'm going to start up a "fix sion" thread, because if people start using abusing it, the game's going to be pretty unplayable.

10-03-2009 06:31 PM

one question about enrage.
u get x hp added to ur max hp based on the skill lvl, now lets say u get 10 last hits with enrange on lvl 1, that means u get a total of +10 hp.
but what happens now when u lvl up enrange. will the amount of the hp increased to 20 = 10*2 ?
or is the bonus still +10?

Quinnister 10-03-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by criptix (Hozzászólás 166557)
one question about enrage.
u get x hp added to ur max hp based on the skill lvl, now lets say u get 10 last hits with enrange on lvl 1, that means u get a total of +10 hp.
but what happens now when u lvl up enrange. will the amount of the hp increased to 20 = 10*2 ?
or is the bonus still +10?

Good question. I think the bonus is still +10. I also looked in game and saw that the "Game Info" on the site is off a bit. He gets 1.5 HP/lv at lv2 enrage, not 2. They just rounded.

Ponies Gonna Pwn 10-03-2009 06:55 PM

The bonuses are added instantly to your base health when you kill anything. It will stay at +10, but any future kills will have the higher bonus. It's why skills and items like this are rushed.

Quinnister 10-03-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aratrok the Merciless (Hozzászólás 166599)
The bonuses are added instantly to your base health when you kill anything. It will stay at +10, but any future kills will have the higher bonus. It's why skills and items like this are rushed.

Thank you for clearing that up. It sounds just like how Mejai's works.

10-03-2009 08:09 PM

Wanted to let you know that the shield actually has a higher than 1:1 ratio, it's around 1:1.2. I had 579 ap at the end of my last game, and shield was getting +688 or so damage.

I agree, this build is all kinds of ridiculous at the moment. I do items a bit differently but core concept is the same. Sadly Rylai doesn't work with the shield explosion, or I'd say that would be a must.

Quinnister 10-03-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freykin (Hozzászólás 166707)
Wanted to let you know that the shield actually has a higher than 1:1 ratio, it's around 1:1.2. I had 579 ap at the end of my last game, and shield was getting +688 or so damage.

I agree, this build is all kinds of ridiculous at the moment. I do items a bit differently but core concept is the same. Sadly Rylai doesn't work with the shield explosion, or I'd say that would be a must.

Ah, yes. I know it does. I copy pasted from the Game Information which rounds numbers. It's why Enrage doesn't give 2 HP at lv 2 and such. I should probably fix that up.