League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Twisted Treeline (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Basic Tips to Twisted Treeline (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1326424)

infinite azure 10-05-2011 09:34 PM

Basic Tips to Twisted Treeline

EDIT**** Modifying this soon so that it actually reflects gold-platinum play rather than being a brief introduction primarily aimed at solo queuers****

Now, I've only made gold in TT last season, cause I cut it rather close (and then they extended it and I got gold in 5v5 too) but that's beside the point. If a platinum player could come give more insight that'd be awesome, but this is my basic little guide to treeline.

------Jungle----
Much like Summoner's Rift, jungling is critical in TT, perhaps even moreso, because the difference between ignoring the jungle and using it causes an insurmountable gap.
-Dragon is worth 3 kills(280 each). Hammer this into your brain. It wins the game almost every time, meaning you need to band together and deal with this potential goldmine or if you fail... triple kill for the enemy team.
-Dragon spawns at 4:40, and then every 5min after it's killed
***will address other buffs if I have time, they're much less important***

-----Team comp----
Contrary to the myth that you NEED tankydps to succeed in treeline, all types of characters are viable with minor playstyle changes.
Mages can act as a midgame powerhouse which is often when the games are decided, and the dragon gold going to carries over bruisers can really sway the game in your favor.
AD carries, though harder with less protection are rewarding since they will dominate if given the chance mid-late game.
Supports, save alistar and karma, may not seem all that viable, but soraka with her armor buff against the tankydps meta, and janna being able to completely separate teams around dragon can be situationally powerful

ONE thing is mandatory. Someone on your team needs wriggles (smite optional but preferred) because dragon is that dang important.

Many can actually dedicated jungle, though using a roam-jungle works fine too.

---Laning-----
Just a quick note, make duo top for dragon and buff control, duo bot is the silliest meta to ever endure.

----Early game fights-----
For the love of god stop running for control of the bot lane bush, there is NO tactical value at all.

Guard your jungler, invade the enemy jungler, camp some bushes near your jungles entrance, gank top with bushcamping, just don't worry about that bottom bush.

EDIT: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1331201

Evilcoookie has made a start to a pretty thorough jungle guide, I'll probably be working on something more detailed involving casters, which is the bulk of my time on treeline.

Prowess 10-05-2011 10:05 PM

I'm no platinum player, however your post seems accurate from the last time I've played TT. If it wasn't for the ridiculous queues in ranked when you reach around ~1550, I'd probably play more with my buds.

Can't stress enough for the quick note about Duo lane top, it's absolutely crucial. You lose games if you don't control dragon.

Roader 10-05-2011 10:17 PM

A jungler and pink wards can usually keep dragon safe. Ive never really tried duo top though, will be soon though.

infinite azure 10-06-2011 12:25 AM

bump for better TT games, and more players.

Sokel 10-06-2011 12:28 AM

Pick udyr and tryn and you win.

Doctor Baldhead 10-06-2011 09:23 AM

Duo bot comes from an era where 3s games were decided by early pushes through bottom. This is still do-able, but you should consider both your comp and the enemy team's before deciding where you're putting people. Keep in mind also that top is generally easier to gank.

Generally 1/1/1 (top, bot, jungle) is best, but there are reasons to consider 2/1/0 or 1/2/0. This is similar to the fact that there are reasons to consider 1/2/1/1 (top/mid/bot/jungle) over 1/1/2/1 in SR - it's doable, and even powerful when correctly executed, just not the generic standard.

infinite azure 10-06-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor Baldhead (Hozzászólás 15477948)
Duo bot comes from an era where 3s games were decided by early pushes through bottom. This is still do-able, but you should consider both your comp and the enemy team's before deciding where you're putting people. Keep in mind also that top is generally easier to gank.

Generally 1/1/1 (top, bot, jungle) is best, but there are reasons to consider 2/1/0 or 1/2/0. This is similar to the fact that there are reasons to consider 1/2/1/1 (top/mid/bot/jungle) over 1/1/2/1 in SR - it's doable, and even powerful when correctly executed, just not the generic standard.

honestly the standard past 1400 was 1-1-1, it's just an idea for teams who can't afford to pick a dedicated jungler, and provides a shot at dragon and buff control.

I kinda.... see....

ok no I don't understand how people could ignore 900 gold/5min at the top of the map in favor of pushing towers down, but the wild west sets the stage I guess.

I'm still of the opinion that the TT metas are in their infancy even after all this time because of the inability to put every archetype on a team, teamcomps aren't a no-brainer like on SR, and individual champs have shined too much in normal games, that for many the game got stuck when playing competitively.

Draft normals are needed but... not enough people to split the queue.

Saiyushu 10-06-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sokel (Hozzászólás 15466498)
Pick udyr and tryn and you win.

You're probably one of those ignorant people who don't even play Twisted Treeline, yet QQ about the imbalance. Fyi, neither of those chars are even Tier 1 chars. Singed and Lee Sin are far stronger than either of those 2.

Saiyushu 10-06-2011 10:27 AM

You hit most of it right on the dot, but I'll elaborate on a few points that you missed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzuraZero (Hozzászólás 15461300)
------Jungle----
***will address other buffs if I have time, they're much less important***

Red Buff isn't unimportant, this thing is still game changing. 4 min respawn
Other buffs are at 3 min respawn
Small Creep at 75 seconds

Quote:

-----Team comp----
Contrary to the myth that you NEED tankydps to succeed in treeline, all types of characters are viable with minor playstyle changes.
Mages can act as a midgame powerhouse which is often when the games are decided, and the dragon gold going to carries over bruisers can really sway the game in your favor.
AD carries, though harder with less protection are rewarding since they will dominate if given the chance mid-late game.
Supports, save alistar and karma, may not seem all that viable, but soraka with her armor buff against the tankydps meta, and janna being able to completely separate teams around dragon can be situationally powerful

Mostly correct, but I'd avoid Ranged AD carries and Supports like the plague. With a few exceptions. (Vayne makes a decent Ranged AD on this map)

Quote:

ONE thing is mandatory. Someone on your team needs wriggles (smite optional but preferred) because dragon is that dang important.

Many can actually dedicated jungle, though using a roam-jungle works fine too.

This is the part where you are a bit off. Wriggles is recommended, not necessary. Smite is required (or a Cho Gath Ult). That wriggles won't do you any good if you get smite stolen. If your team doesn't have smite, your team cannot safely do dragon without killing the enemy smite holder, which is extremely limiting. It means that if they kill any one of your players, they can do dragon safely, but even if you kill 2 of their players, if the smite holder is alive, you still cannot do dragon.

Quote:

---Laning-----
Just a quick note, make duo top for dragon and buff control, duo bot is the silliest meta to ever endure.

QFT. Though this only works if you push out and then interfere with the jungler. If you just deny top lane, the jungler can still free farm and gank bot.

lord kratos 10-06-2011 12:29 PM

Good stuff, maybe people at my level will learn to jungle in TT.(I do not play ranked treeline because I can't get anyone else to play it :()