League of Legends Community
1234511 ... 13

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Playing to Win: A good read for anyone wanting to play LoL Competitively. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1239365)

Pyr 09-15-2011 08:10 PM

Playing to Win: A good read for anyone wanting to play LoL Competitively.

My intention is to give people who don't know or understand things like Zoning, Yomi, how to "play to win," trapping, etc. something to look at and learn from. Apparently my post wasn't clear enough in that, so I'm editing this in.

My intention is to help improve aspiring competitive League of Legend players' core game play. From newbies that need the foundation to novices that need it strengthened.

It is free. Scroll down a bit to a link for each individual chapter of the book, presented in text format on the site itself.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

BrotherCaine 09-15-2011 08:34 PM

Caveat: He is trying to sell you something. Say no to the scientologists, kids.

Beaumains 09-15-2011 08:45 PM

It's still spam. The kind that typically gets banned. If you want to promote someone's work (your own included) you should be upfront about exactly what it is you're doing. Explain your intentions. Then hope the mods don't ban you for life.

EDIT: Banned, or at least unappreciated/disliked.

Pyr 09-15-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaumains (Hozzászólás 14484548)
It's still spam. The kind that typically gets banned. If you want to promote someone's work (your own included) you should be upfront about exactly what it is you're doing. Explain your intentions. Then hope the mods don't ban you for life.

EDIT: Banned, or at least unappreciated/disliked.

My intention was to give people who don't know or understand things like Zoning, Yomi, how to "play to win," trapping, etc. something to look at and learn from. Apparently my post wasn't clear enough in that.

My intention is to help improve aspiring competitive League of Legend players' core game play.

It's that simple. Not like a work that came out 10 years ago needs to be promoted anyway.

Quenthal 09-15-2011 10:25 PM

I'm sorry, but you guys are morons. Someone suggests a text that could be roughly compaired to The Art of War for video games, and you bash him? If your egos don't alow you to read something other than the million horrible guides on this site to better your play then I feel bad for you. Even a WW2 history book will teach you useable skills in LoL if you are willing to take the time to read it.

Pyr 09-15-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quenthal (Hozzászólás 14487773)
I'm sorry, but you guys are morons. Someone suggests a text that could be roughly compaired to The Art of War for video games, and you bash him? If your egos don't alow you to read something other than the million horrible guides on this site to better your play then I feel bad for you. Even a WW2 history book will teach you useable skills in LoL if you are willing to take the time to read it.

I know, right? Every single competitive game community I've been involved in has had articles written by people that were spread around because of relevance and use, even if the work itself didn't directly correspond to the game in question. This one is one of those that helps a newbie establish a foundation and helps a novice strengthen it.

Just because it doesn't mention League and doesn't have a tl;dr doesn't mean it's worthless, can't help, or is just blatant advertising for something that doesn't relate.

Beaumains 09-16-2011 01:21 AM

My issue is not with the text itself, so much as the manner in which it were presented. When you look at your email and see a bunch of them with no content besides a link (and maybe one line of uncertain text), you typically hit the spam button, unless it's someone you know. Same thing here. Originally the OP was a single line, linking to what appears to be an online market, where one of the first things you see is "Order Now". That has all the hallmarks of spam. Hence my suggestion that he should clarify just what he was trying to convey. Which he did, but could still be improved.

For example, he could say something like "here's a book about online/strategy/etc., in general/for gaming/etc.; it's highly recommended by XYZ, and covers this that and the other. If you're interested here's a link where you can find it. You don't have to buy it; you can get it for free by doing 1, 2, 3, and 4."

Otherwise, I do appreciate the attempt to help others improve their gaming.

Pyr 09-16-2011 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaumains (Hozzászólás 14491497)
My issue is not with the text itself, so much as the manner in which it were presented. When you look at your email and see a bunch of them with no content besides a link (and maybe one line of uncertain text), you typically hit the spam button, unless it's someone you know. Same thing here. Originally the OP was a single line, linking to what appears to be an online market, where one of the first things you see is "Order Now". That has all the hallmarks of spam. Hence my suggestion that he should clarify just what he was trying to convey. Which he did, but could still be improved.

For example, he could say something like "here's a book about online/strategy/etc., in general/for gaming/etc.; it's highly recommended by XYZ, and covers this that and the other. If you're interested here's a link where you can find it. You don't have to buy it; you can get it for free by doing 1, 2, 3, and 4."

Otherwise, I do appreciate the attempt to help others improve their gaming.

Edited to further clarify it's free.

Beaumains 09-16-2011 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheesecake Man (Hozzászólás 14483233)
My intention is to give people who don't know or understand things like Zoning, Yomi, how to "play to win," trapping, etc. something to look at and learn from. Apparently my post wasn't clear enough in that, so I'm editing this in.

My intention is to help improve aspiring competitive League of Legend players' core game play. From newbies that need the foundation to novices that need it strengthened.

It is free. Scroll down a bit to a link for each individual chapter of the book, presented in text format on the site itself.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

Now that looks like something I might actually upvote. Thank you good sir.

Nexis234 09-16-2011 02:01 AM

Wow, why down vote the OP. Rude!

Thanks OP!