League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   DaGhost's Mighty Guide to Playing Jax (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=119155)

DaGhost 05-22-2010 01:57 PM

DaGhost's Mighty Guide to Playing Jax

DaGhost’s Guide to Jax

Preface:
This is a general guide to effective Jax play, focusing on his tank like status late game and monster dps. Although it may contain things you’ve seen or read before, it is here to provide a general understanding of one of the best current characters in the game. If you like this guide, hit it with an up vote, if you dislike or disagree with the guide feel free to throw in some feedback as to why so we can debate your opinion.

Goal:
This Jax guide is geared towards a late game Jax whose goal is to be nearly unstoppable. In order to get their we are going to examine Jax’s weaknesses and strengths and then discuss some ideas that will help you grasp advanced Jax play.

Concept:
By using the synergy between Jax’s passive, Guinsoo’s Rage Blade, Elixir of Fortitude and Brilliance Jax becomes a DPS machine with large amounts of health. His burst damage and high attack speed (from his ultimate) allow him to whittle down squishies and other dps very fast. His high dodge also attributes to his survivability
Weaknesses

Before picking up Jax you should know he is far from being a god character (or at least the god everyone makes him out to be). Jax is extremely weak towards burst magic damage and characters who can reduce his magic resistance. Jax cannot dodge most spells which means that mages are Jax’s worst nightmare until he hits his sweet spot (the area in which his build begins to dominate).

Jax’s other weakness is Sword of the Divine, an attack speed item. This item has an activated ability that prevents your attacks from being dodged; mitigating much of what makes Jax such a strong character. Do not fret though, Sword of the Divine is not an item for every character, only certain characters like Twisted Fate, Master Yi or Tristana primarily use it. These other DPS characters will use SoTD to attempt to counter Jax’s high dodge rate and use it to dish out lots more damage to Jax than normal

Jax’s last weakness is competent teams using their CCs correctly. If Jax gets stunned multiple times in succession it will be extremely hard to contribute anything to the fight. That said, if you are new to Jax and are not high ELO, you would not face competent teams for a while, so this will not be a problem until later in your career.

Strength
Jax’s strengths are very easy to list and grasp

Dodging: Jax has one of the highest dodge rates in the game with his passive skill Counter Strike. Every time you dodge an attack, it opens up the possibility to gain an AOE stun in close range. So in short, dodging an attack means taking no damage from that attack and being able to stun multiple opponents in a close area. Dodging is a very powerful tool.

Damage: Jax has very high damage output. Simply brawling with other players after level 6 will allow Jax’s passive ultimate to start. Every attack makes you attack faster and every 3 attacks hits for a ton of damage. Due to all his abilities improving with ability power, the longer you stay in a fight the better. This is due to Guinsoo’s Rageblade, which will provide you with an AP bonus every time you attack or use an ability. This buff stacks up to 8 times and continues to refresh as long as you fight. In turn, this will make your Leap Strike, Counter attack, Empower and 3rd attack all deal a lot more damage.

Tank: With this Build your Jax will have over 3000 hit points for most late game battles. In combination with the damage mitigation you will have from armor and magic resistance, you will be a very nice tank and hard to kill for anyone.

Skill Build and How to Utilize It
This skill build has very little variation space. Thus far in my Jax experience, it has not been favorable to modify this build when you take into account the items, runes, and summoner skills you are taking.

Lvl 1-6 E,Q,Q,W,Q,R
Lvl 7-11 Q,W,Q,W,R
12-16 W,W,E,E,R
17&18 E,E

Explanation: Jax is a natural fighting champion. While it may seem smarter to get either Leap Strike (Q) or Empower (W) first in order for you to deal more damage, in practice these skills do not help. By getting Counter Strike (E) at level 1, you have the ability to farm minions easier and fight at level 1 better. If non-burst magic characters at level 1 engage you, chances are you will get a dodge and be able to stun one of them for the first kill of the game. The more kills you get early in the game, the quicker your build comes online.

Subsection Laneing with the build

During Laneing you will use leap strike to harass and kill enemies, not minions. During the first 3 levels of this build, you should focus on last hitting minions whom are further away from your enemies and closer to you (IE the melee minions). This provides you a nice double advantage with a very slight disadvantage. The first advantage is that by last hitting and staying far away, you will level up, get more gold and stay out of harm’s way. The second advantage is that if you enemies begin to come close to you, you have the ability to leap strike onto their faces or leap away to a nearby teammate or new minion wave. This should prevent you from getting ganked during the early phases of the game. The disadvantage comes from when you leap strike the enemy that approaches you. When you attack that champion, all their nearby minions will focus you.

In the early game stages prior to purchasing your boots, their minion damage in combination with enemy champion damage will cause your character to fall very fast. This disadvantage is completely turned around after purchasing your boots because you dodge chance will be increase to a rate at which minion attacks will miss very often, therefore setting you up to stun your enemies. In essence, you will have turned your enemy’s minions against them because while your enemies may choose to not attack you for fear of being dodged and stunned, their minions have no choice that they attack.

Subsection Teamfighting with the build

In a team fight you have a very simple job, living. Simply by being a part of the team fight, or just by attacking the enemy team, you will be contributing lots of damage output and helping your team win the fight. Utilize Leap Strike (Q) to attack enemy champions whom do not have lots of hp and remember to use your Counter Strike when enemies are close to your champion and to use it often. Also don’t forget to constantly press W for Empower because it adds tons of damage and that damage is splashed out to other champions. It also only costs 45 mana and therefore adds lots of damage per mana.

Be cautioned, you will be the primary target or one of the primary targets in a team fight. Your presence is too large for enemies to ignore and therefore you will often will be stunned, taunted, ensnared and knocked up/away. This is why you will always carry cleanse with you as a summoner skill. Once your build hits its sweet spot, cleansing a stun or other ability will immediately turn the battle in your favor as you begin to slam opponents with Jax’s mighty lamppost. Note that if your enemies are not playing smart and are using multiple stuns or other abilities of the sort in rapid succession you should wait until they waste most of them on you before you cleanse. Then go back to attacking the weaker teammates and DPS units.

Did I mention that before? As Jax, you can very easily take apart other dps units due to your dodge and stun. Also, the longer you fighter, the faster and harder you hit them. You will be lucky if the enemy dps units try to fight you more than once because they will be quick to learn their lesson as to why you are the king of fighting.

Subsection Ganking with Jax

If you are on the prowl and looking for enemies to kill you must keep in mind two simple ideas.

1. Never attempt to gank enemy units without having both Elixir of Fortitude and Brilliance up. Although once you have the other core items in this build you can easily kill enemy champions, with these two potions you will handle enemies extremely fast and be able to continue fighting their tower or their other teammates.

2. At certain points during the game your enemies will tower hug. If there are only one or two enemies tower hugging and you have achieved enough of your build to kill them, go ahead and tower dive. At times during this build, you will be so strong that it may be in your best interests to just attack the tower instead. HOWEVER, DO NOT TOWER DIVE if there are 3 or more enemies at the tower, you will probably die even with your near unstoppable presence.

Itemization
First Items: Doran’s Ring, Health Potion

Next Item trip: Boots of Speed, or if you got first blood or a kill during the early lane phase Boots of Speed and Cloth Armor or if you got a lot of kills just build for Ninja Tabi***

Next item: Guinsoo’s Rageblade. You should get the pickaxe(975) first but if you can only afford the yellow stick (860) then get that. The rageblade itself only costs 400 gold which should be easy once you have the beginning pieces.

Special Item section: After building the Rageblade, you are primed for getting kills against enemy units. At this point, if you have 300 gold you can purchase an elixir of fortitude and then proceed to take an enemy tower/ win a team fight/ gank an enemy.

Next Item Options
Atma’s Impaler: Get this item as your default 4th item.
Only in the presence of a fed caster with high burst damage (Fiddlesticks, Annie, Ryze) should you ever change your build to the other option or if the enemy has 5+ CCs on their team.
Atma’s provides Jax with a unique benefit. At first Atma’s will provide a baseline of about 27 damage just based off your HP. But from now on everything you do will increase both you HP and Damage. Every stack of Rageblade will provide you with 12 max hp, which will in turn raise your damage, which will in turn raise your hp and finally raise your damage once more. Every Elixir you drink will have a large benefit to your overall damage and hit points and this will cause you to become a hard tank.
Banshee’s Veil: Read the above explanation of when to get this item before Atma’s. It will help you tremendously with survivability.

Next Item: If you had to purchase B. Veil get Atma’s next. If you purchases Atma’s get B. Veil next.
B Veil gives you 450 base hp which gives you 9 additional damage, which gives you 27 additional HP, and it gives you more mana. With both Items working in conjunction you will have over 50% mitigation for both damage and magic, which will increase your overall tank status.

At this point you should be able to win the match, but if you are unable to finish here are some things to consider

Guardian Angel- If you are being focused often in team fights (which you will be) and the enemy has lots of penetration for either armor or magic (much more likely to have the latter) you can purchase GA to make you a super tank. Your DPS will be a bit hamstringed but you will live forever.

Black Cleaver- This item gives you tons of damage (which equals more hp) and provided you with a debuff to enemy armor in turn making your dps much higher.

Bloodthirster- This item provides a lot of damage and lifesteal that is nice if the enemy team is low on CC effects. More often than not though, this item will not stay stacked for long because enemies will focus on you hard enough to kill you. Again, only get this in situations when the enemy team is low on CC effects (4 or less).

Brutalizer (and Ghostblade later): Armor Pen and Damage, this is like a little version of black cleaver. The upgrade gives you a nice speed and attack speed buff as well as improving your armor pen. The CD is worthless on your character though as no spell cooldown you posses is higher than 5 seconds.

Items to Stay away from- Madred’s Bloodrazor and Infinity Edge. 90% of the time you will not finish building these items before the match ends. Madreds is nice but you can solo baron without it and your entire team should be able to deal with a tank that stacks HP (if the need be to do so).

Rune/Masteries Build and Why it works

Runes

Marks
All Armor Pen -18
Seals
All Dodge -6.75%
Glyphs
All Magic Resistance (Flat)-17 MR
Quintessence
All Health (Flat)- 98 HP

Masteries

21/9/0

Offense
3 Points into Critical, 2 points into AP
4 points into Attack Rate
3 points into Armor Pen, 2 into Minion Damage
3 Points into attack damge
3 Points into Crit Strike Damage
1 Point into Havoc

Defense
1 Point into Armor, 3 Points into Magic Resistance
4 Points into Dodge
1 Point into Move speed on Dodge

Why Does that work?
Armor Pen provides you with 24 points of armor pen, which is more that most characters starting armor, meaning you will hit for max damage every attack. This is important for early game fighting (lvls 1-5)

You Dodge runes/masteries/skill selection will provide you with a 15% dodge chance at level 1 which boosts your movement speed whenever you dodge.

I do not waste 4 points in the offense tree just to get the magic pen mastery. Jax’s cooldowns are already so low innately that those points are better spent in actual offense masteries. You smack people hard enough as it is, a large majority of your damage is straight physical.

Summoner Skills

Cleanse and Flash on Summoner’s Rift. If you need to get kills you can catch a stun, leap attack an enemy and flash to catch up to them and stun them. You can also escape ganks with these two skills.

Cleanse and Smite on TT or Cleanseand Flash if you are solo que’d with knuckleheads
On TT your team should be running double smite so that you can get the golem. It will provide you with lvl 2 and a slow and essentially win you the early team fights. You can also double smite dragon to make that go much faster (and do dragon by lvl 4). If you are running the double smite strategy make sure to remove a point for the offense tree in the ap mastery and place it in the smite mastery (the gold and cooldown are tremendous helps)

Advanced Tactics

When trying to gank a champion who is alone, remember to use Empower before using leap strike. Both the leap strike and empower damage will be added and you will splash to any surrounding minions.

If you have counter strike ready (a white ball will be swirling around you) you can use leap strike to close ground with your enemy and immediately hit E to stun them.

After you have all the core items you should never EVER leave base without Elixir of Fortitude and Brilliance. Between the two items you are gaining large amounts of HP AP and Damage

Updating Soon to include FAQS, A Quick Find Glossary and any terms that you may not understand

DaGhost 05-22-2010 02:05 PM

Condesned Guide
(Mastery Item Rune and Summoner Skill Build)

Skills
Lvl 1-6 E,Q,Q,W,Q,R
Lvl 7-11 Q,W,Q,W,R
12-16 W,W,E,E,R
17&18 E,E
Items:
Doran’s Ring, Health Pot
Ninja Tabi
Rageblade
Atma’s/Banshee’s
Amta’s/Banshee’s (get whatever you didn’t get before)
Optional after
Guardian Angel
Black Cleaver
GhostBlade (Brutalizer first)
Bloodthirster

Rune/Masteries Build
Marks
All Armor Pen -18
Seals
All Dodge -6.75%
Glyphs
All Magic Resistance (Flat)-17 MR
Quintessence
All Health (Flat)- 98 HP

Masteries
21/9/0
Offense
3 Points into Critical, 2 points into AP
4 points into Attack Rate
3 points into Armor Pen, 2 into Minion Damage
3 Points into attack damge
3 Points into Crit Strike Damage
1 Point into Havoc

Defense
1 Point into Armor, 3 Points into Magic Resistance
4 Points into Dodge
1 Point into Move speed on Dodge

Summoner Skills
Cleanse and Flash on Summoner’s Rift. If you need to get kills you can catch a stun, leap attack an enemy and flash to catch up to them and stun them. You can also escape ganks with these two skills.
Cleanse and Smite on TT or Cleanse and Flash if you are solo que’d with knuckleheads

DaGhost 05-23-2010 03:45 AM

bump for first page

Hosty 05-23-2010 04:06 AM

I can't see why Jax would need a guide in the first place.

Zerosk83 05-25-2010 01:04 PM

I like the whole guide except for the masteries. Why would you waste points on critical chance and crit dmg when you could haev more AP per lvl and ii take improved exhaust and ignite. The attack speed helps a bit early game farming and helps you get to that magic 3rd hit with you ulti faster. I would understand the crit chance and dmg if you had runes or items that involved crit but even with impaler you only have about 20-25% crit chance. I would much rather have Archmages Savvy and ESPECIALLY magic penetration. I know at one point in the guide you state that majority of dmg comes from physical, but i build very similar to you and when i look at end game stats my magic dmg and physical are almost identical.

I've played 162 games as jax and my physical dmg is 7,802,648 and my magical dmg is 6,777,878. Thats very close, meaning almost half your dmg comes from magic, yet you give up 15% mastery(which is extremely effective late game) for 2% crit chance and 10% crit dmg with a build that has next to no crit in it? This is all meant to be constructive criticism by the way so please dont take offense to anything I said.

DaGhost 05-28-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerosk83 (Hozzászólás 1391987)
I like the whole guide except for the masteries. Why would you waste points on critical chance and crit dmg when you could haev more AP per lvl and ii take improved exhaust and ignite. The attack speed helps a bit early game farming and helps you get to that magic 3rd hit with you ulti faster. I would understand the crit chance and dmg if you had runes or items that involved crit but even with impaler you only have about 20-25% crit chance. I would much rather have Archmages Savvy and ESPECIALLY magic penetration. I know at one point in the guide you state that majority of dmg comes from physical, but i build very similar to you and when i look at end game stats my magic dmg and physical are almost identical.

I've played 162 games as jax and my physical dmg is 7,802,648 and my magical dmg is 6,777,878. Thats very close, meaning almost half your dmg comes from magic, yet you give up 15% mastery(which is extremely effective late game) for 2% crit chance and 10% crit dmg with a build that has next to no crit in it? This is all meant to be constructive criticism by the way so please dont take offense to anything I said.

Looks like its time to do some test :), I will get results and re-evaluate the guide, I just hate buring the 4 cooldown points

Lynxion 05-28-2010 01:34 PM

Don't like this guide, Dodge Quints are better, Scaling MR Glyphs are better, 15% Spell Pen is one of the best masteries, not getting it is just stupid. And the fact that you don't even mention Frozen Mallet...

Recently 05-28-2010 04:00 PM

How do you stay in range to attack. Most auto-attacking dps will not stand there and trade blows with jax. They will kite you around if they are smart and not engage you until they have cc backup present. This makes it hard to even get a dodge/stun proc. I'd at least consider a phage or something after the rageblade

Adel Dijerek 05-28-2010 04:12 PM

People who get dodge quints are bad and you should feel bad for thinking you should use them. Burst is king early on and is coincidentally Jax's weakness. If you're not working to mitigate the effects of burst at least somewhat you're an idiot.

As for Phage, that's what Lizard Buff is for. Phage is an emergency item if your team sucks too badly to deal with a jungler on the enemy team or the like. When in doubt, take a minute to get Lizard instead of splurging on Phage, which has a ton of redundancy you don't get anything out of.

Other than that...the build kinda needs an [AD] tag. No Soulstealer? It's a grossly brutal item on Jax if you get it when it counts. Additionally, the Blasting Wand Component adds more HP than the pickaxe now (just 5, but still), more damage (32+24+32+16 against a value that will almost certainly be lower vs. 25 about 6 times with a much higher defensive value). Besides that, nice guide. God knows Jax needs more good guides, so I approve!

Xeones 05-28-2010 04:29 PM

It's Jax, just right click and win every 3v1 or 4v1 fight you come across what is the point of a guide?