League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Clarity on sustain changes (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1105368)

Classick 08-16-2011 12:08 PM

Clarity on sustain changes

It seems like there is a lot confusion about the upcoming sustain changes, so I'll try to clarify what we are doing with my own opinion of the upcoming changes.

Currently there are aggressive supports and there are passive supports, aggressive supports are characters such as Alistar and Taric. Meanwhile there are the passive supports such as Soraka and Sona. The thing is these passive supports have some good offensive attributes on them, and some of them are not even being used. For instance, I can't remember the last time I've seen Soraka cast a Starcall, that to me is just silly. Soraka can still fulfill her support role with these changes, it's just slightly different. For instance, instead of supporting your lane by sitting in a brush and holding down W/E on your lane partner you can go out and be aggressive to protect your lane partner, using Starcall on your opponents as well as silencing them when they try to retaliate and quickly casting your heal early on whomever your opponents choose to attack. This is similar to Alistar, who has one of the weaker sustain abilities in the game but can win his lane by being extremely aggressive. Zoning off his opponents away from his partner in lane and protecting them with his powerful CC abilities.

This to me is not only significantly more healthy for the game, but it also will create more action packed lanes, making aggressiveness optimal instead of passivity. With the significantly longer cooldowns on heals, your options on how to approach a fight is being increased greatly, you have more opportunities to strike your opponents while their heal is on cooldown. You will have a much more heavy incentive to be aggressive and apply pressure because the support you are fighting cannot just top off the damage you have done within 30 seconds.

For those of you who think that these changes will lower the amount of choices to play as a support, I think this will broaden the spectrum of choices you have as a support player. Currently the optimal supports to be played are ones that can constantly provide sustenance in lane, which has greatly lowered the amount extremely powerful supports such as Janna as a choice. It's not only Sona and Soraka who received some changes to their sustain, other characters in their league of sustain such as Taric have had some tweaks made as well. How great would it be if you could lane versus a good Soraka as a character without any sustain such as Lux and actually win beyond level 5!

tl;dr The most powerful supports currently are the ones who can infinitely sustain their lane and play passively while allowing their partner to farm. This role should stay intact, but through the means of aggressiveness and confronting their opponents as opposed to playing passive. Reducing the dependency on sustenance will help broaden the spectrum of viable supports in lane, and make the lane and those characters more fun/active!

Seffie99 08-16-2011 12:09 PM

if you are in range to cast starcall you're gonna get bursted. Front lining with Soraka is like front lining with an AD carry, just plain stupid. The difference between Soraka sona, and taric alistar is that they have defensive qualities to them allowing them to front line. You wanna nerf their sustain? fine. Just give Soraka and Sona some defensiveness or mobility to counter act that.

Also: don't bring up the 5 sec buff that comes with Soraka's heal, you should be healing your carries not yourself to get off some useless starcall stacks.

MasterOfBots 08-16-2011 12:09 PM

i thought you wer talking about the spell clarity from title

Ovalusc1 08-16-2011 12:09 PM

+1

Freedom Prime 08-16-2011 12:10 PM

Just buff them later when the meta changes back to AoE or something.

Ergheis 08-16-2011 12:11 PM

The people complaining, I've noticed, talk about how useless Soraka will be, since she doesn't get any farm. Or how squishy she will be when she tries to starcall, cause you aren't supposed to buy survivability.

Which means they intend to continue the 0 CS Philo Kage ward strategy, and don't think that they should try to change anything.

It's a sad thing to see.

KaptainKickass 08-16-2011 12:11 PM

I, for one, support the changes to supports. Now I can build Soraka in ways that make her a viable top solo, going either proc build or AP/Lich Bane.

Edit: Keep downvoting for change. I'll be happy with Sorakas rework and you won't

ChaosZeroX 08-16-2011 12:11 PM

Thanks for the clarity

The 14th Noah 08-16-2011 12:12 PM

We just need to move away from the twenty minute tea party that goes on in any "well played" game.

Hello there! I'm going to last these minions for the next twenty minutes waiting for you to make a MISTAKE and by mistake I mean be aggressive beyond one auto attack or skill shot.

Want some Tea while we both wait?

I don't really care how that happens tbh.

Joequel 08-16-2011 12:12 PM

I like these changes, adds some variety :D.