League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Orianna Guide (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=830605)

Runeys 06-11-2011 12:37 AM

My Orianna Guide

34 Attachment(s)
Note: as of 2 patches ago (it's 23 sept 2011 atm) this guide has become outdated (as in changes were made to orianna's skills it might still be viable but i didnt have the time to check) I might update it in the future but im way too busy with school and evrything atm.

Disclaimer:
This is the first guide i've ever written, so don't expect it to be the best guide you'll ever read. Furthermore, everything in this guide is entirely my opinion, if you do not wish to follow anything i say, then dont.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Intro:
What's a good text without an intro right? Well, I have no idea really, I generally suck at writing intro's, which is why I'm writing this instead. This guide will not go in depth into the item build, the rune pages, though I will list what i'm using, and why. This guide is aimed at players relatively new to Orianna.
Story:
Attachment 193137
There once was a Piltovian man named Corin Reveck who had a daughter named Orianna, whom he loved more than anything else in the world. Though Orianna had incredible talent for dancing, she was deeply fascinated by the champions of the League of Legends. This fascination compelled her to begin training to become such a champion. It is unfortunate that her sheltered, wide-eyed naivete led her to take unnecessary and dangerous chances which ultimately led to her tragic demise. Orianna's death shattered Corin, driving him into deep depression and an obsession with techmaturgy. He could not stand the void his daughter's death left in his life, so he decided to build a replacement - one that would complete Orianna's dream of joining the League. What was created is the clockwork killing machine that Corin named after his daughter. Knowing that she was destined to be a champion and seeing the way the times were changing, he created The Ball as her pet and protector. This nearly symbiotic creation uses a different type of techmaturgy, relying more heavily on electricity than clockwork.

Orianna and The Ball now fight as Champions in the League of Legends, using her sometimes misguided morality as a compass. She tries in earnest to fit in with those around her. However, no matter how hard she tries, Orianna can never be human and there is always something unnerving and alien about her. Though she attempts social interaction with other champions in the League of Legends, there are few who can get past her exotic nature. To many, it's as if there's nothing inside, that Orianna is just a soulless clockwork shell - a dangerous and deadly one at that. However, all along she remains the perfect daughter in her father's eyes.

''Dance with me, my pet. Dance with me into oblivion.''

Skills:
Since I've never seen a champion guide that didn't explain any champion skills I shall copy paste them from the release notes. Now, most people add fancy pictures to their skills, since i have no clue how, I won't.

Attachment 193132
Clockwork Windup (Passive):

Orianna?€™s autoattacks deal additional magic damage every hit, subsequent attacks on the same target within a few seconds will add more damage per hit. This bonus stacks up to three times.

This is one amazing passive, IF you learn how to use it right, try NOT to rush into teamfights just so you can hit stuff with your "amazing" passive cause you will die. try to stay back, use the ball and team as cover, and auto attack the nearest champion... most of the time. Learning how to use this passive effectively can be the difference between a good Orianna and a Great one.

Attachment 193138
Command Attack (Q):
Orianna commands her ball to fly towards target location, dealing damage to targets hit but doing reduced damage for each additional target hit. Her ball remains behind at that location afterwards.

The ability you will be using most often if you're going for the full ap route, moves the ball to the targetted area (FROM THE CURRENT POSITION, I've seen a LOT of players make the mistake of expecting the ball to come from wherever they were standing, simply because they forgot where The Ball was. Deals Great amounts of damage mid to late game, that is if you can actually hit it, works best in comination with Shockwave (R) and Dissonance (W) in that order.

Attachment 193139
Command Dissonance (W):
Orianna commands her ball to emit a magnetic pulse, dealing damage to units around it. Afterwards, the ball leaves a field behind for a few seconds that speeds up allies and slows enemies.

In my opinion the best skill Orianna has to offer, this does not mean you level it first however. It means that if used right, it can win you near all teamfights, if used wrong, your teammates will die a horrible horrible death. Overall usage: When running somewhere (DUH) if there's an allied champion running in the same direction in front of you, hit him with Protect (E), then pop (W), so you BOTH get the speed buff, dont be a ****** and keep it to yourself when everyone could be going at the speed of light!.
Combat usage will be discusssed below..

Attachment 193140
Command Protect (E):
(Passive): The allied champion the ball is attached to gains bonus Armor and Magic Resistance.

(Active): Orianna commands her ball to fly to and attach onto an allied champion, dealing damage to enemies it passes through and shielding the allied champion when it arrives.

Never ever forget the passive. every bit helps, tho the shield definetally enhances it, if you go support, throw this on the first champion to run into teamfights to give them that extra survivability. Also use this on other allies, do NOT keep it on yourself just so you'll know the ball is back in your face... You are NOT the only player on your team (no matter what anyone says this is true unless practice game xD)
Play Note: Press Alt+E to self cast, this means you cast it on yourself and don't have to click on yourself first.

Attachment 193141
Command Shockwave (R):
Orianna commands her ball to emit a shockwave after a short delay, flinging affected enemies in the vicinity into the air a set distance towards, and possibly over, her ball.

Ultimate Ability, not much more to say, in combination with certain champions like amumu, a generall aoe comp, or anything else that has aoe stun, it is in My Opinion The Best Ult. that is.. if you can land it right. Dont throw your (Q) towards an enemy champion that is running with ghost and expect him to get hit by your ultimate, it takes a bit to go off and he will be long gone, if The Ball is in front of him however, go ahead.
Best used in teamfights, Great for solo laning/protecting stuff/initiating.

Stuff people find important:
As for the next few sections, I'm going to list the builds I use, and try to explain why, also I'll add a number of alternative items/builds/rune setups that in my opinion work great on her.

Patch Changes (v1.0.0.122):
  • Command: Dissonance
    • Ability power ratio reduced to .5 from .6
    • Movement speed slow and boost reduced to 20/25/30/35/40% from 25/30/35/40/45%
This latest patch changes Orianna's W to make it more of a damage skill and less of a support, however its still a great support skill as the movespeed nerf isn't that major.
It does however give more incentive to max W before Q because of the increased AP ratio.

note; sending mail to princeps to change the changelog (when that's done ill remove this note.

Items:
For items I'll list 2 builds: one for AP (the one I usually use) and one for Support.
Someone mentioned this in a comment and I thought it was reasonably self explanatory but I'll edit it here anyhow.
If you have enough gold to buy a partial item when you go back to shop, BUY IT, dont sit at shop with 2k gold and then run off without having bought anything!.

My AP Build:
Attachment 193108Attachment 193103Attachment 193103
The mana crystal is great early game for extra mana, it also builds into 2 great items, and the health pots are for survivability.

Attachment 193100
First time you head back, get this, unless your lane doesn't nesseccarily require it, otherwise get catalyst or Tear of the Godess (which is a lot more expensive, so if you dont have the 925/595 gold, get the boots instead). Also refresh your health pots as needed.

Attachment 193125 or Attachment 193093
Choice depends on whether you want to go for RoA or AAS, either way get one of these after boots.
Catalyst the Protector: Gives Survivability, more mana, and regen when level up, don't underestimate the regen, it's awesome and continues to proc after you build RoA.
Tear of the Godess: Gives some mana regen, increases mana pool the more skills you use, gets a LOT better when you build it into AAS, otherwise an ok item.

Attachment 193126 or Attachment 193101
You should get at least one of these.
Rod of Ages:Also gives catalysts' mana and health regeneration + a lot of survivability and mana, goes great together with Archangels staff, if you're planning on getting both (I usually do, grab RoA first.)
Archangels Staff: Increases mana pool, mana regen, AP, what's not to like?
Note: If you're going for both of these, finish boots 2 first.

Attachment 193116 or Attachment 193122 or Attachment 193121
Sorcerers Shoes: MP, Great for AP builds.
Ionian Boots of Lucidity: CDR = Great for Orianna, if you're not picking up another CDR item, get this.
Mercury's Threads: Enemy team CC heavy? if you want the tenacity, grab this.

Attachment 193105
Rabbadons Deathcap: an AP build is not complete unless it has this item. I generally grab this after Archangels for the boost to my AP (remember i picked both RoA & AAS).

Attachment 193129
Nashor's Tooth: The oddball in my guild, people generally feel it doesn't really work with her for whatever reason, but I think it was made for her and I'll tell you why
Passive: Increases dmg on AP, The more you hit (stacks 3x) The more dmg you do (so the faster you achieve 3 stacks, and t he faster you attack, the more devastating your dmg). Nashor's doesn't only give you attack speed and AP, it also adds mana regen, and a whopping 25% CDR, which is great!.

Attachment 193107
Zhonya's Hourglass I get this as my defensive item, it hosts great survivability and the AP really helps with everything your character has to offer, together with RoA, this generally gives you more survivability then most squishies.

My support Build.
Starts off the same as my AP build, except leaves out RoA.
Attachment 193108Attachment 193103Attachment 193103
The mana crystal is great early game for extra mana, it also builds into 2 great items, and the health pots are for survivability.

Attachment 193100
First time you head back, get this, unless your lane doesn't nesseccarily require it, otherwise Tear of the Godess (which is a lot more expensive, so if you dont have the 595 gold, get the boots instead). Also refresh your health pots as needed.

Attachment 193125
No RoA in this build, because as a support you'll be staying in the back, out of range of most enemy champions.
Tear of the Godess: Gives some mana regen, increases mana pool the more skills you use, gets a LOT better when you build it into AAS, otherwise an ok item.

Attachment 193101
Archangels Staff: Increases mana pool, mana regen, AP, what's not to like?

Attachment 193122 or Attachment 193121
Ionian Boots of Lucidity: CDR = Great for Orianna, if you're not picking up another CDR item, get this.
Mercury's Threads: Enemy team CC heavy? if you want the tenacity, grab this.

Attachment 193133
Morello's Evil Tome: 20% CDR, Mp5 and AP, great item for support.

Attachment 193134
Abyssal Scepter: Great for support, loads of AP, but more importantly reduces enemy team MR. the MR also gives some survivability.

Attachment 193105
Rabbadons Deathcap: All your abilities scale off AP (except the movespeed buff) but the shield on (E) has a good AP ratio, so this really helps.

Attachment 193107
Zhonya's Hourglass I get this as my defensive item, it hosts great survivability and the AP really helps with everything your character has to offer.

Some Other Great Items for Orianna.
Attachment 193104
Mejai's Soulstealer: If youre racking in the assists as Support, or the Kills as AP, or both either way, without dying a lot... Get. It.
Attachment 193120
Eleisa's Miracle: Forgoes the need for mercury vs CC heavy team + good regen (good choice for support).
Attachment 193106
Void staff: Going full AP? Enemy gets loads of MR? Grab it, most of the time anyway.
Attachment 193102
Guardian Angel: If i find i need more of a survivability thn Zhonya's i grab this instead for my support build.
Attachment 193136
Lich Bane: It's a reasonable item, I generally don't get it but I've seen some succesfull builds utilize it.

Runes
These are the runes i generally use for casters, this does NOT mean you should take these runes, as im 100% there's a better combination for Orianna, however im not that heavy on IP, and really love playing all kinds of champions so i decided to go for generall role builds.

For my AP build:
Marks: 9x Magic Pen Think it works on passive, but overall great for AP champs.
Seals: 9x Mp5/level Orianna uses a LOT of mana, this helps, especially later on.
Glyphs: 9x AP/level The item build doesn't get you the max AP you can get, but this helps up it a notch, also helps a bit early game when you don't have any AP items yet.
Quintessences: 3x Flat AP Great buff early game (15 AP) works amazing with your passive, you'll be dealin the damage.

For my Support Build:
Marks: 9x Magic Pen Think it works on passive, but overall great for AP champs.
Seals: 9x Mp5 Orianna uses a LOT of mana, this helps, especially later on. for early game flat Mp5 is better thn Mp5/level, and that's when her support is weakest, so i generally use these instead.
Quintessences: 3x Flat Health As a support you want to be able to stay alive, this (greatly) reduces your early game squishiness.

Skill build:
Certain skills are best leveled in certain situation, getting harassed a lot? level up (E) etc...
AP Build:
Q
W
Q
E (for The Ball mobility and possible support).
Q
R
then R>Q>W>E (means prioritize R, then Q, then W, then E.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajaon (Hozzászólás 10142640)
+1 on this guide, it's really nice and very helpful. In order to add to it i just want to throw in some general comments. A lot of debate goes on about maxing Q or W first on orianna. the argument is that W does more consistent damage early on. Whenever i hear this i smack my head thinking those noobs are trying to poke a champion with Q who's at the back of his minion line! The damage between Q and W is not that different (i think W has 10/20/30/40/50 more base damage at each lvl) however if you shoot through a minion wave to poke a champion, the damage on Q is awful. I find Q is a lot more reliable and better to have on low CD than W. Moral of the story : Max Q and get a better angle and shoot directly at the enemy champ...not through the minions.

Skillbuild explanation on Q vs W in MY OPINION.
W > Q, but the mana cost for W > Q, especially in lower levels the difference in mana cost is really noticable.
So in any situation where you have more then enough mana AND can consistently hit the enemey champion with Q and W, then you should level up W first, however i find that the mana cost is too high, if you only use it for harassing damage, and as was stated above Q's damage gets reduced by a lot if it goes through the minion wave first, so keeping The Ball behind enemy lines and harassing Q more mana/damage efficient then W is.
On the other hand if you plan on using your W's slow to get an early kill it can really pay off to get W up first for the extra damage and the slow, the downside to this is that you have to know how to time your skills effectively for the maximum damage output (including the truckload from your passive you can now hit because of the slow)... so there's really great options going both ways.

Support Build:
E
W
Q
W
E
R
Then R>W/E>Q
Summoner Spells (revision attempt nr 2.):
Some people think there?€™s only 2 good spells, other people find it a challenge to pick the right spell for their champion, here I?€™ll list a few viable Summoner Spells I?€™ve used/seen others use with success on Orianna.

The Move Spells
Escape/get there faster spells, you generally want at least one of these.
Attachment 198523Flash
Gets you in or out of trouble with a click of a button, long cooldown, get the mastery.
Attachment 198524Ghost
Lets you rush through minions at the speed of light, mastery makes this quite a bit better.
Attachment 198525Teleport
Can save your tower, help you gank, long cooldown.

The Others
Other spells people use, grab only 1 of these, unless you feel special then grab 3 and spam f13 (I know you looked!)?€? Aargh I totally forgot which spells I had here DOOM YOU PC!
Attachment 198526Ignite
Helps Kill Stuff, great spell also reduces healing on the target, probably the best spell for AP if you wanna dish out dat damage! Use on low hp champs that are running away or on champions that have loads lifesteal/healthregen. Every team should grab at least one of these for the heal reduction, probably.
Attachment 198527Exhaust
If you can?€™t time/aim your W, it?€™s not too bad also reduces AD damage by a LOT, and AP damage by a LOT LESS, grab only if no one else has it and you absolutely love the spell.
Attachment 198529Clairvoyance
I CAN SEE STUFF ! It allows you to see a part of the map, short cooldown, if your team has a lot of wards it?€™s probably best not to grab it, ONLY grab it as Support, short cooldown.
Attachment 198530Fortify
Situational.. situational?€? ONLY GRAB THIS if you know how to use it, AND if you?€™re going support. (NOTE: This Spell Requires a Lot Of Map Awareness.)
For writing a guide?€™s sake ill point out a few situations in which you?€™ll find it a GREAT spell.
Ally gets towerdived.
There?€™s 2 enemy champs bashing one of your towers and no one is ever going to get there in time.
Backdoor attempts.
There were more here?€? I swear there were but my PC crashed?€?
Attachment 198531Clarity
Restores mana, yay, Only Good for Support With Mastery, And If You?€™re Laning With a champion that consumes mana like its cookies! Mmh cookies!. Otherwise useless late game, and you?€™re better off grabbing any of the above.
You have quite a few, some good, some useless... once again it's all just my opinion.

For AP I reccomend
going Flash (for enhanced auto attack, escapability, ganking etc) and Ghost (+W = speed of light escape or engage).
Ignite is a solid choice too.
For support you can go fortify/clairvoyance/Clarity Though even for support i generally grab flash and ghost (for the extra escapability.)
Masteries:
I'm currently using an 9/0/21 with Flash and Ghost, for the enhanced movespeed:
(Offensive)
3/3 Archmage?€™s Savvy
1/3 Deadliness
4/4 Sorcery
1/1 Archaic Knowledge
(Utility)
3/3 Good Handsor 3/3 Perseverance (if you feel the minute mana regen really matters, by all means go for it.)
1/1 Haste
4/4 Awareness
1/4 Expanded Mind or Greed if you feel you need it
3/3 Meditation
1/2 Utility Mastery
3/3 Quickness
1/1 Blink of an Eye
1/1 Presence of the Master

For those that want a more generalised Masteries build (you can switch Ghost for Flash if you want)
(Offensive)
3/3 Archmage?€™s Savvy
1/3 Deadliness
4/4 Sorcery
1/1 Archaic Knowledge
(Utility)
3/3 Good Hands or Perseverence (if you feel the minute mana regen really matters, by all means go for it.)
1/1 Haste or 1/3 Good Hands
4/4 Awareness
1/4 Expanded Mind or Greed
3/3 Meditation
2/2 Utility Mastery or 1/2 and grab flash.
3/3 Quickness
1/1 Presence of the Master

Notes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeikei (Hozzászólás 9887580)
Oh yeah, Perserverence is BAD. Go read one of the threads on how it does nothing. Good Hands might seem like you plan on dieing, but the 7(?) seconds you get at the end of the game can be the difference, especially with a champ like Orianna that can save an ally or two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psych0tlc (Hozzászólás 2515823)
Hey all, Just realized that you need to have 25 mana regen/5 or hp regen/5 seconds seconds to benefit 1 point of mana regen/hp regen from 3/3 in perseverance. Now, you may be able to have it rounded up by having 13 points in mana regen/hp regen (I haven't tested this), but you might as well get the Good Hands mastery as it makes more of a difference than getting nothing out of the perseverance mastery.

Quote:

As the first rank of Perseverance gives 2% bonus whereas the following ranks only give a 1% increase, it is often a good idea to spend only one point in Perseverance and the other points elsewhere.

Princeps 06-11-2011 11:33 PM

Muahaha i Stole Princeps' Post cause i ran out of space!. (he doesn't mind, Honest!)

Playstyles
Generall:
The Ball has many uses and I'm starting to think i should've listed it under skills, however ill just list those i can remember this early in the morrning. Ill add more as i remember them.
Vision: The Ball gives player vision, shoot it in grass, see what's in grass.
Stops the need to Facecheck Bushes (unless you're rammus, cause you know... you dont HAVE a ball, you ARE a ball).
Zoning: Enemy champions generally stay away from The Ball, especially if you've already hit them hard a few times, use the ball to keep them from the minion waves, stopping their exp, this has one major benefit: you're not the meatwall keeping them from your minions.
Also note that Q does a lot less damage the more minions it hits, so make sure that if you’re harassing the enemy champion it doesn’t go through any minions.

The Arrow: The MOST important thing in playing Orianna is NOT losing TRACK of Your Balls.. i mean The Ball. you have an arrow, that points towards your ball (you didn't know this you say? Well that's because you're one of thosse that's never played a champion in practice or whatever, but decided to read a quick guide and go play solo unranked, cause there's nothing to lose there anyway? Amirite? i know im right.
If you're that person, at fountain grab Q and play around with the ball a bit, if you don't wanna look noobish, shoot it once run around it for a while and get a feel for when the ball snaps back to you... <- THIS IS IMPORTANT! I've seen MANY Failed ults because people pressed the ult then ran back and missed Entirely.
E: Alt + E = Auto Self Cast, means you automatically recall the ball to yourself for the shield + having the ball back on you, no need to click on yourself anymore, saves precious time when needed.

Early Game (generally means pre ganks...)

Mid: Cause you only really need to be mid for the early game... That's not saying you should always grab mid, if you're one of the persons i described above, its probably best to take a sidelane and go to the section below.
Start with Mana Crystal + 3 pots, play defensively, try not to get hit while throwing The Ball in their faces... Use your abilities sparingly, The Mana Costs Are High!. Don't use Q for last hitting minions unless you can get at least 3 + the enemy champions face.
Also note that Q does a lot less damage the more minions it hits, so make sure that if you’re harassing the enemy champion it doesn’t go through any minions.
Once you get W you can start harssing the enemy, Don't at any time forget your last hits unless you're going full out on the enemy champion. Don't forget W has a great slow and use this to get close (unless you know the enemy brings the pain, for instance dont go into attack range for jax, cause he will hump your face like there's no tommorow. Once you have your ult you're probably next up for a kill, hit the QW combo (if you harassed properly enemy should be at around 50% hp, well more like 30% after the combo :P) and you should still have enough mana to pull this off... Then run in and start bashing the right mouse button on the enemys head (cause face it you loooveee doing needless clicks all night long). once the enemy turns tail and runs throw the ball in frontof them (it should generally hit, not nessecary tho) wait for them to be in the ball, then pop ult... if they have finished boots, pop ult sooner. Now.. EVERY TIME YOU POP YOUR ULT, Press W, because everything your ult pulled in, should get hit by it for massive combo damage. If this doesn't kill him/her yet, throw the ball back into his/her face and you get a kill.
If you get ganked at mid, use the E, W, combo to get the hell out of there and slow the enemy following you, its great.

For those that are new to playing with their Ball(s):
You Should Not Go Mid. Play defensively, Orianna is a Squishy champion, You can use The Ball as a scout and check for early game bushes, only do this on the nearest bushes tho as you dont want to ruin the surprise.. entirely, unless you're very fast then run to the next bushes with whoever you're laning with (preferably someone that does know how to play their champ and is not as squishy as you are). Last Hitting minions is important, Don't go all out on minions with your epic passive... Last hitting ensures that the enemy doesn't get pushed too far back, this allows for more harassing and possible ganks. Also last hitting gets you a TON more gold then auto attacking does, just saying.
Use your E,W, Combo on allies to get them out of trouble if need be, its more important both of you survive then one of you dies for a kill! As above, start harassing when you get the W, but be carefull with your mana... If your lane partner has a stun/disable/slow/etc, your passive will hit like a truck.. if not then you're probably better off waiting for your ult with going into any real fights. (for those that will whine about playing too defensively here... this is still aimed at new Orianna players, they will learn more about Ball controll when alive then dead).
... wow typing the above totally made me lose my train of thought... if that isn't enough (and there are comments stating such) I will probably edit it once i remember what I was going to say next :P)

Those that do know what they're doing with The Ball
Why are you reading this text instead of mid? Orianna is a Great mid champion, but I'll humor you.. Also i know a lot of the people reading this are new to Orianna... So Go Read The Section Above dammit!. Once you Think you know what you're doing (you don't trust me.. but still) You can start off harassing hard... with just your passive, no need to spend all that mana when your passive hits like a truck, be mindfull to stay out of trouble (tho you should know this, after all you supposedly know what you're doing :P) If played properly you can make the ball come out of a sidebush and whack them in their unsuspecting faces, then slow them and go for the kill with your lanemate, or you could keep both of you alive by timing the shielding right etc etc... most of what i was going to cover here i put into mid.. so go read that anyway *******file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Martijn/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif********.

Mid Game (Where ganking has begun, A tower been destroyed etc etc). (Also covers Late Game (team fights and such).

Support:
You will have wanted to max E or W first, i did tell you that my skill build was the one i used most often (and at items i mentioned i went AP most often xD). As a support you can still dish out great damage, and you should, but the moment someone in your team is getting heavy nuked, throw a E,W, combo (these should not be on cd if you're planning on going support during teamfights) on the champion as he makes his escape, he should be fine, enemy should be slowed, go auto attack!. You can save your entire team this way. Also you can easily use your ult to stop enemies from comming closer to your teammates, you or even get them off towers. Being a support is all aboubt knowing when to use your R, E and W skills at the right time and place For The Team. Being Support Means You Save Your Cooldowns So You Can Help Your Team When They Need It. Being ap means you should burst all cooldowns, keeping in mind when you'll need to use what ability to save someone's ass. As stated before Keeping your team alive > Acing. Also use E on the allied champion that rushes in first, then use W when they get to said champion, for the extra damage and the slows, this should generally score your team a kill or at least 1 or 2 enemies at half health, then throw the ball through their face and throw E back on your tank for his survivability. You won't carry your team this way, but you're (probably) not built that way, you keep everyone alive through everything, whether its cause of the slow you place in your allies path, the escape you give them, the ultimate you "wasted" to save your teammates.... All For The Team!

Ap:
While the above is awesome in saving your team... AP achieves this too, IF you know what you're doing, this can be seen as an advancement of support. You will basically be doing the same as support (sounds boring? it isn't) your main skill is Q, you will constantly be moving The Ball into enemies faces, keeping the enemy off your team, keeping them slowed so you can go in and autoattack! Run out with the movespeed buff etc, You! Are! Awesomeness! if you play right. You want to harass a lot, cause by this time you should be able to bring the pain. The Ball has good range, speed and the aoe dmg from W is Great. Stay back and Harass with The Ball, yes i know that doesn't involve using your passive, you use your passive mostly when theres NOT 5 enemy champions in range, if you get the slow off on 2 enemies, and theres 3 of you, go in and auto attack IF your teammates follow, if theres 4 of them and 1 of you, Run Like Hell! Ult usage: Any aoe champ will LOVE you and YOUR ult, Aim it near their tower + at least 3 of their champs, Throw in a W then bash their skulls with Q, Have said aoe champ do their thing and ACED!. I've won many games with this combo... almost to the point where my friends won't let me play anything but Orianna. However if you plan on doing this you NEED a good tank to run in first, a good aoe to bring the pain and a good ad carry to finish them off (tho your auto attack could possibly achieve this). Try to ALWAYS hit at LEAST 2 enemies with your ultimate, also as said before your ultimate brings everything into range for W Massacre, it also achieves the feat of pulling enemies away from their tower into your team (not actually really far but it can be the differense between the tower tank dying and not).

Ill add more if people like the guide (including skill pictures and i might try frapsing a few games and posting a youtube link and stuff like that)., and possibly update it with changes made by patches etc. I hope you all enjoyed reading my guide.. Positive Feedback would be great, flaming/bashing would be.. not so great :P Wow i spent over an hour and a half writing this, Time flies.
Special thanks to:
Zeikeifor his continued support for my guide.
Princeps for letting me steal his post.
Rajaonfor his input in Skill build choice.

Changelog:
20th of June 2011:
  • Got Pissed off at PC for crashing and not saving over an hour's worth of changes. (slightly overexagerated due to frustration and anger.)
  • Resorted (if that's the word i wanna use, not sure.. ah well) to the use of Word in order to save text before editing so i won't lose everything again.
  • Revised the Spell section (now has pretty pictures and better explanations.)
  • Added a few notes (or the same note a few times.) that Q deals less damage when hitting minions first.
  • Added an in my opinion terribly obvious comment to the item build.
  • Stole Princeps’ Post cause I didn’t have enough characters left on mine. (Don’t worry he didn’t mind.)

13th of June 2011:
  • Fixed some typo's
  • Changed the Masteries to reflect Zeikei's comment.
  • Added explanation for new Masteries.

12th of June 2011:
  • Changed Intro text.
  • Made some minor changes to the layout.
  • Added Support item build.
  • Added Support Runes.
  • Added Support Skill build order.
  • Added Pictures for abliities and items.
ORIGINAL POST BY PRINCEPS:

Thanks! Im gonna try it :)

Cricketank 06-12-2011 10:02 PM

Nashor's Tooth? Interesting idea, but good in theory. I'll give it a try :D

Zeikei 06-12-2011 10:25 PM

Orianna is such a tricky champion, especially for those who implement her passive (essentially putting her in harm's way). Orianna is wrecking ball, disrupting the team with amazing harassment, buff/debuff and her ultimate, clearing the way for the "clean-up crew" usually your assassin or glass cannon carry. I think she's a pretty amazing champion as you can sit in the back, do good damage, and then ensure most of your team gets away should things get hairy.

+1 for what I've read of this guide, nj

Zeikei 06-13-2011 07:56 AM

Oh yeah, Perserverence is BAD. Go read one of the threads on how it does nothing. Good Hands might seem like you plan on dieing, but the 7(?) seconds you get at the end of the game can be the difference, especially with a champ like Orianna that can save an ally or two.

Hyetal 06-13-2011 09:01 AM

Some good tips. :) I like playing Orianna but I admit I'm pretty bad. If nothing else, I learned about Alt+E, which is going to be a lifesaver in chaotic team fights. x_x

Runeys 06-13-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeikei (Hozzászólás 9887580)

Heh i never knew that... though I wonder if it would work with blue buff, as occasionally i run out of mana even with blue buff (though never for long :P) I'll edit the masteries section a bit, with a couple of quotes explaining it :P including yours as a thank you xD

Zeikei 06-13-2011 03:59 PM

Hmm... I don't want this guide to die... so... here's another comment.

Just because you play AP doesn't mean you can't save people with Protect + Dissonance. Your doing it wrong if you fail to save an ally if you could, because if you want to play a pure damage champion, you should've picked someone else.

Runeys 06-14-2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeikei (Hozzászólás 9901812)
Hmm... I don't want this guide to die... so... here's another comment.

Just because you play AP doesn't mean you can't save people with Protect + Dissonance. Your doing it wrong if you fail to save an ally if you could, because if you want to play a pure damage champion, you should've picked someone else.

That's kinda what i meant with the very first sentence i put into the AP playstyle, it's just that as AP you play a lot more offensively, and don't just sit back to help your team all the time, ofcourse you still have to help out your team, cause the champ is built in a way that even the most focused champ (unless stunned) can escape with your help.
The real difference is that the support kinda focuses on keeping everyone alive, and the AP is aimed more at damaging/slowing the enemy team from long enough range so the teamfights get a lot easier...
i feel like i repeat myself a lot in the text i just wrote... i really shouldn't type stuff at 8 am xD

P.S. thanks for the bump xD

TTDart 06-14-2011 05:35 AM

Finally

Thank you so very much =D I have been using Orianna for a while now and never quite got on how to use her correctly, she seems very finicky to me in a fight. I can not wait to try out this guide! Thank you once again for the Orianna guide.