League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   PVP.net Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   External Chat Client (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=803593)

Nihongo Nooblet 06-01-2011 11:07 AM

External Chat Client

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings all,

This may not be a wide spread issue, as I have been recently thinking about this, but I was considering the possibility of Riot creating an external chat client.

This would be used for users who are unable to launch the full client at specific time periods (such as work) and would like to talk with their friends over Riot's PVP.net.

Yes we could get some form of instant messenger but, who would want to add all of the contact information for every person on their friend's list? Certain people are meant to be known through a game and only through a game. I personally don't but, I know that some people have security issues in regards to their personal information.

I don't know.... this is just my 2 cents worth of an idea while I am sitting here bored at work =P

Additionally, I know that when I go on a downloading spree or when I am using my computer to render videos which takes up 70% of my processes, I would like to not have the full launcher running and taking up additional resources.

I personally have at least 5 people on my friend's list online at all times... So getting to chat with them while I am not playing LoL would be awesome.

For those who are bored and interested in why rendering takes 70% of my processes, this is not the correct thread to request that information from! Just message me and I'll be ok with sending you my system specs.

Yourmomisaboot 06-01-2011 11:50 AM

I agree, this would be a pretty solid idea. Would be rather innovative too, I don't think any other online game has done such a thing before.

Bane Wraith 06-01-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yourmomisaboot (Hozzászólás 9487731)
I agree, this would be a pretty solid idea. Would be rather innovative too, I don't think any other online game has done such a thing before.

HOPEFULLY... There's not a good reason for that. ^_^;;

Nihongo Nooblet 06-02-2011 07:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I know I have seen un-official chat clients created for games. That is the reason I brought this up.

Some people have looked up game client's internal connection information and created chat clients for them. I personally don't remember what game it was since it has been YEARS since I've seen such a thing used again...

Oh well -_-; We will have to see how much of the community desires this XD

Villiroth 06-02-2011 09:10 AM

I played an indy mmo that had an official chat client, 2 versions were made for it. A java based web client and a downloadable one.

I didnt see the point in it then and I dont see the point in it now. If you want to talk to people in the game then just log on, its not like it takes that much more bandwidth.

Vaurnbarn 06-02-2011 09:54 AM

This is a pretty interesting idea. Chat has been a big problem for us in the past, but assuming we solve those problems, it would be really cool to have a lightweight chat client that you could access with a web browser or as a stand-alone application.

NESL NightRage 06-02-2011 10:11 AM

Would be great so I can do my NESL admin stuff at work without opening the game client.

Nihongo Nooblet 06-02-2011 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaurnbarn (Hozzászólás 9520105)
This is a pretty interesting idea. Chat has been a big problem for us in the past, but assuming we solve those problems, it would be really cool to have a lightweight chat client that you could access with a web browser or as a stand-alone application.

What would be some specific issues that Riot is experiencing with the chat system that you can provide?

Bane Wraith 06-02-2011 02:19 PM

Hmm... Wonder if this would bring about an Expansion of the whole chat and chatroom system... ^_^
Maybe it would even come with a new form of Reporting option ( Which was removed ) or mods/admins to keep an eye, since it no longer requires that big ol' Adobe Air to access...

I could see a lot of players migrating Out of chatroom use through client, and keeping it open in a Browser at all times, as well. But, that may not be possible, nor suggested, since it would probably lead to new/smurf accounts being logged on at the same time as the Real accounts; One for game, one for chatroom, thus providing heavy traffic if the two can be run simultaneously...

MCXL 06-03-2011 05:48 AM

Three Words

Smart

Phone

App