League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] Ezreal AP Guide and Justifications (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=77446)

CaptHarlock 03-19-2010 04:38 AM

[Guide] THE Ezreal AP Guide

Ezreal, a Guide for AP support

* Disclaimer *

This is just a GUIDE to Ezreal, NOT the end-all be-all way to play him. Each game can vary greatly and you need to adjust your game to fit that niche to win. If you team needs something, Ezreal is flexible enough to fit that role (besides tank). Also, this guide will be constantly update depending on the meta, or if someone gives an awesome suggestion that I didn't think about. So, check back regularly to see if there is something new that may have changed for this hero.

Introduction

Ezreal, the latest addition to LoL's champion list, is one of those champions that takes some time to get used to. All his abilities are skill shots and require much practice to fully utilize all of his capabilities. He has a long range spammable nuke that does physical damage, a line AoE nuke that also acts as a team heal, a blink that does single target damage and a global AoE nuke. This guide will go over the AP build for this hero and give some arguments why AP is as or more beneficial over an AD build.

Why AP and not AD?

Although AD is a pretty good build for Ezreal and can dominate games, it focuses on only one of his abilities, his Q ability. AD does NOT scale with his 3 other abilities, thus not taking full advantage of the champion as a whole. His other 3 abilities have really good AP scaling (.6, .75, 1) and have relatively low cooldowns especially in conjunction with his Q ability. Also, with Lichbane, your Q ability also scales with AP (will discuss later in this guide). HOWEVER, if your team DOES NOT HAVE a decent phys dps carry, YOU NEED TO GO AD; NOT because it's better, but because you team NEEDS it. This guide will not cover the AD build and play style of AD Ezreal since Phreak pretty much made a decent guide for his AD build.

Section 1:
Champion Description

-- Stats --

Health: 350 (+80 / per level)
Mana: 235(+45 / per level)
Move Speed: 300
Range: 550
Attack Damage: 44(+3 / per level)
Magic Damage: 0
Armor: 9 (+3.5 / per level)
Spell Block: 30 (+0 / per level)
Crit Strike: 3 (+0.5 / per level)
HP Regen: 1.1 (+0.11 / per level)
MP Regen: 0.8 (+0.07 / per level)

His stats are pretty decent, and at level 18, he gets about 100 (98 to be exact) base damage. Note that this is important since Tri-Force only adds BASE damage to your attack. So if you have 1 million attack damage stacked up, tri-force will only add 130 damage on you next attack.

-- Abilities --

Passive:
Rising Spell Force - Hitting a target with any of Ezreal's abilities increases his attack speed by 15% for 5 seconds (Max Stacks: 5).

This passive is only decent if you plan to go AD build, but this is an AP build, so this passive is pretty much mute.

"Q" Ability:
Mystic Shot - Ezreal fires a bolt of energy dealing 40/60/80/100/120 plus 100% of his attack damage as physical damage (applies on-hit effects). Ezreal's cooldowns are reduced by 1 second if Mystic Shot hits a target.

Stats:

Cooldown: 6/5.5/5/4.5/4 seconds
Cost: 30/35/40/45/50 Mana
Range: Very Far

Comments:
For AP Ezreal, this is his early game harass and last-hitting tool. Mid-game, this is his "make my abilities have shorter cooldowns" ability, which does do decent damage with sheen. Late-game, this is his sustained dps with Lichbane.

The "Sheen" Effect with Mystic Shot
The way the "sheen" effect works with this ability is that it applies the bonus damage from the "sheen" effect to the hit. For example, if you have Lichbane, you apply an extra 100% of you AP in damage as well as the normal damage done from the spell. So in essence, you have a 1 to 1 to 1 AD and AP ratio for this spell. Note that if you miss with your Q ability, your next attack will still have the sheen effect on, even though it does not show up on the buff bar.

"W" Ability:
Essence Flux - Ezreal fires a wave of energy that heals all allied champions and damages all enemy champions it passes through for 75/125/175/225/275 (+0.6). Affected ally and enemy champions have their attack speed respectively hasted or slowed by 20/25/30/35/40% for 5 seconds. Also note that champions healed by this ability are only healed for 70% of the listed value.

Stats:
Cooldown: 10 seconds
Cost: 80/90/100/110/120
Range: Very Far

Comments:
This is his bread an butter ability for the AP build. This spell can single-handedly win team fights by itself. Without any AP, at level 5, you heal for 192.5 and do 275 to your enemies. This is a 467.5 HP swing and a 80% dps swing. If you were to count the actual net AP ratio for this, it has a 1:1.02 AP ratio scaling for the HP gain and damage combined.

Note that this ONLY HITS CHAMPIONS. This does NOTHING to creeps. Also, it does NOT heal yourself (tested if you could hit yourself if you flash in front of it after cast. It doesn't work).

"E" Ability:
Arcane Shift - Ezreal teleports to a target nearby location and fires a homing arrow at the nearest enemy unit dealing 80/130/180/230/280 (+0.75) magic damage.

Stats:
Cooldown: 17/15/13/11/9 seconds
Cost: 100
Range: Flash range

Comments:
This ability is essentially a Flash, with a nuke that has a 17-9 second cooldown. You can't dodge spells with it though. This is great for additional positioning and burst, chasing, escaping and cleaning up team battles.

"R"/Ult Ability:
Trueshot Barrage - Ezreal channels for 1 second to fire a barrage of missiles dealing 350/500/650 (+1.0) magic damage to each unit it passes through. However, it deals 8% less damage for each unit it hits (Minimum 30%).

Stats:
Cooldown: 100 seconds
Cost: 150/150/150
Range: Global

Comments:
This ult is a line, AoE nuke that gets weaker for each unit it hits. Thus you need to line up the shot for this very well and minimize hitting creeps. This is not like Ashe's ult that only hit champions. This ult also hits creeps and neutrals as well. Since this is global, you can help your team-mates from across the map and last hit some neutrals from your opponents i.e. dragon and nash.

Section 2:
Pre-game Prep

This section will cover what you need to do before you actually start a game to play Ezreal such as what runes and masteries you need.

-- Runes --

3x HP quints
9x Magic Pen Marks
9x Dodge/MP regen Seals
9x AP per lvl/CD Redux Glyphs

-- Summoner Abilities --

1st Ability: Flash

Always get this no matter what. This is such a great summoner spell that almost every champion can use this. Also, this makes it much easier to get into position to get your skill shots off as well as escape from death. An entire guide can be written on the uses of flash, but I will not cover all of its intricacies in this guide.

2nd Ability: Ignite/Clairvoyance/Clarity

Here you have some options. Ignite is a great summoner ability especially with the nerf to executioner's calling and can give you 10 extra AP if you spec into it. Clairvoyance is pretty much legal map hacks and clarity is good if you really want to spam all your abilities and not be so mana drained after 1 team battle. Pick which ever one you feel suites your play style more.

-- Masteries --

The 2 main builds for AP Ezreal are 9/0/21 or 10/0/20. Only use the 2nd one if you are using ignite.

Section 3: Playing Ezreal

This section will cover his skill builds, item builds and some tips and tricks to playing this champion.

-- Skill Build --

Lvl 1: Q
Lvl 2: E if you are soloing, W if you are sidelane

From here on, you can branch out in multiple directions, but follow these guidelines when building your champion:
  1. Max out E and W first before you max out your Q. Q only becomes good once you get your Lichbane.
  2. However, if you do get an early Lichbane, max out Q ASAP.
  3. Everytime you can level up your ult, level that first above the rest of his skills i.e. level up your ult at lvls 6, 12, and 16.
  4. If you are participating in many team fights, concentrate on maxing out W first.
  5. If you are solo'ing or fighting is small man teams, concentrate on maxing out E.
  6. Otherwise, balance W and E respectively.

-- Item Build --

Starting Items:
Solo-Mid: 1x Doran's BLADE, 1x HP/MP Pot

Side-lane: 1x Meki/Doran's Ring, 1x HP Pot

W8, why are you getting a D.Blade when we are building an AP Ezreal? The main reason is that D.Blade gives you HP, makes your Q hit harder and makes your Q lifesteal. However, in a sidelane, you are going to need some mana regen since you'll probably be spamming W on your ally. So, you should get a meki pendant or a Doran's Ring for a sidelane.

Mid-Game Items:
Core: Sheen, Boots, Cat Stone

Conditional: Mejai's, Guinsoo's Rageblade

The importance of the items for the core are in order from left to right. Sheen is your true bread and butter, regular boots give you some speed and Cat Stone gives you survivability and staying power. Also, all these items can be upgraded to your late-game items.

Also, you need to determine if Mejai's are worth getting. If it's not worth getting, then just start working on your end game items; you'll probably be getting banshee's veil since if you are not getting mejai's, you are probably being focused on.

However, you should get the rageblade definately if you are playing twisted treeline. I would actually forsake the cat stone to get the rageblade since it's that good on TT. The reason why rageblade is so good on him now is that his Q ability adds 2 stacks versus just the 1 IF it hits. This is because when you cast a spell, it triggers and when it hits, it counts as an auto-attack. So, you'll have 8 stacks on it pretty much all the time, making that item essentially giving you 90 AP for 2.2k gold. It's decent on SR, but i think Lichbane, RoA, Rylai's take precedence over this item.

Late/End-Game Items:
Core Build: Upgraded Boots, Lichbane,
Banshee's/RoA
Conditional Items: Deathfire Grasp, Mejai's, Void Staff, Sword of the Occult, Quicksilver Sash
Cherry Items: Rylai's, Zhonya's

You should have an upgraded boots (Mercs/Swiftness/Sorc) and at least 1 Core end-game item fairly quickly. Since you are building of a Cat Stone, you need to decide whether you need to get a Banshee's, or a RoA. I would say 70% of the time you're gonna get RoA, but there are times when you need that banshee's to not get screwed by spells.

The conditional items are pretty straight forward. If they have tanky tanks, get Deathfire and Void. If you are pwning, get the snowball items. If they have a billion stuns, get quicksilver sash. The cherry items are just items for people that are filthy rich. However, an early rylai's can win games.

Your 6 slots should be filled with your Core build, and 3 other items in either the Cherry or conditional items list.

-- Playstyle --

There are 3 main parts to any game of LoL: The laning phase, Mid-game and Late-game. The Laning stage starts at the beginning and ends when either a lane tower goes down or people get high enough level to start roaming and fighting as a team. The Mid-game lasts until people start getting their end-game items. And the late-game stage starts after people get 1-2 late-game items and ends when the game ends.

The Lane Phase

The way you play in this mode varies greatly on whether you are solo-mid, partnered side-lane, or solo side-lane.

Solo-mid
As the solo-mid, you are essentially going to be the "leader" of the team. The reason is that the solo-mid will hit lvl 6 before anyone else and will have a distinct advantage over 4 of your enemies. In mid, you have several goals and responsibilities. You need to farm, mess up your opponents' solo, and gank the side-lanes. To do this, you are going to be harassing and last-hitting with your Q ability. Once you feel confident you can insta-gib someone, use your E to do a fat nuke in their face and spam Q on them. Thus, your 2 most important skills for solo-mid will be Q and E. Remember, you have an insane zone of control, so abuse it.

If mid is doing fine (after probably first blood), run to a lane that looks like they may need help and is very gankable. If you can kill the enemies side-lanes just 1 or 2 times, that means that side tower will go down very soon.

Partnered Side-lane
Here, you are going to act more of a support character, like a soraka that can burst face. Your main goal is to NOT DIE. This is probably the most important part since dying in a side-lane can royally screw over that lane and cost you the game. Most likely, your partner will need lots of heals, so getting a high level in W will be very beneficial. However, don't spam it all the time due to the high mana cost, just use it when you have to. Solo side-lane is very similar to this, but you don't have that much of an emphasis on your W ability.

Mid-game
Mid-game is probably the most interesting part of the game. There are so many different strategies just on this subject that I will not cover the meta-game, but just your job as Ezreal. Here, your job is to sit in the back, heal with your W and take pot-shots with your Q ability.

Remember, you should always be in the back lines and not up-close and personal to your opponents. If your team seems to be winning, then blink in with your E to do some nice burst, but only do that if the enemy team pretty much wasted all their scary spells. You pretty much play like pre-patch TF in team-battles, except you do way more AoE damage with your ult and can heal your team.

Late-game
Ezreal's late-game is very similar to how you play his mid-game, just with better items.

Extra Game Play Tips and Comments
-Probably the most important parts about Ezreal are positioning, positioning, and positioning. With perfect positioning, you never die, you have almost always guaranteed hits with your skill shots and can hold-off 5v1 situations at your tower. Positioning is so important since all his skills are skill-shots and he is very squishy.

-He does have a built-in escape mechanic which can blink over walls. However, you need to be practically humping the wall go through it. Otherwise, you'll just blink just in front of the wall and probably die. Practice this so you can get used to it.

-Remember to always cast your Q ability even when running away since it gives you a 1 second CD reduction on all your other spells, even your ult.

-Your E ability only hits an enemy that is the closest to you after the blink. So, if you want to nuke a champion, try to blink right on top of them, or make sure that the champion is the closest thing to you when you blink in.

-Golem is your friend. Just like Anivia, you want to have this buff more than half the time during your game. So, use wards and always control these jungle spawns.

-Consumables are good. If you can afford it, brilliance elixir is amazing and fort isn't too bad (makes your Q hit harder and gives you more HP). Also, wards are very good and can win you games; trust me on this. It's pretty much legal map hacks.

Hopefully you found this guide useful and have fun playing Ezreal!!!

V1.01: Added in Character stats and ability descriptions
V1.02: Added in comments to the abilities section
V1.03: Modified and Clarified the Item builds
V2.00: Finished up the guide with the addition of the Playstyle section.
V2.01: Removed the Locket from Untested Build. It was tested, and it sucks.
V2.02: Fixed some spelling/grammar errors and clarified some of the runes. Also did some formatting.
V2.03: Added in Guinsoo's Rageblade to the build since Q adds 2 stacks instead of 1 IF it hits.
V2.04: Modified ability and skill build sections and clarified the item build section. Also added a few more tips.

Kikhan 03-19-2010 10:28 AM

I would still advise an offensive mastery tree build. I like the red post build I was playing around with the last few points trying to figure out what I like best but, even as support I think the Offensive mastery tree is the best.

Brozan 03-19-2010 11:08 AM

I support AP Ez! I just wish he was better in team fights (AD Ez is far better in 5v5 premade as he isn't nearly as expensive)

CaptHarlock 03-19-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brozan (Hozzászólás 862153)
I support AP Ez! I just wish he was better in team fights (AD Ez is far better in 5v5 premade as he isn't nearly as expensive)

I'm still not sure why AD Ezreal is "better". They say he's not as expensive, but he requires a Tri-Force and sword of Occult to do "good". Lichbane is about 3.2k and Tri is 4k+. Even Mejai's is cheaper than the Occult. Also, Lichbane and Mejai's makes your Q hit much harder than a Tri as well as all your other abilities.

PrawnWonton 03-19-2010 03:27 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure why you would go AD on Ezreal.

He has lots of short cooldown, decently-high AP ratio abilities. Sounds like an AP champ me.

AD and his Q does good damage. At the expense of his 3 other skills. I'd rather have 3 good damage abilities than one, plus a Lichbane quickly rectifies that problem.

Plus, it isn't like he is going to be standing around auto-attacking a lot. He is pretty darn squishy. Staying back and making use of his ridiculously long ranged skills makes him much more useful.

I dunno, I'm sure AD is good, but who wants another right-click auto-attack champ? There are enough of those already.

KeVoN xD 03-19-2010 04:45 PM

I thinkap is thw way to go because of lichbane, your burst will be great.

Also i think the majority goes ad because they saw the video of prehak (sry if its bad writen)
and they think that he has the best notion of the game.

I dont say goin ad is a bad idea but i think is much better going ap cause your entire skills (with lichbanes) scales with ap at really good ratios.

And i think for ad is better to go with ashe (how many times i just autoatacked while enemy tryied to ran but ahahah slow ^^), but the thing is that she hasnt got that spamable flash, that says like "pick me pick me i can save you in nearly every single situation)

sry for me english

SAludos

wildfire393 03-19-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikhan (Hozzászólás 861949)
I would still advise an offensive mastery tree build. I like the red post build I was playing around with the last few points trying to figure out what I like best but, even as support I think the Offensive mastery tree is the best.

Yeah, you're totally right. Offense gives him so much. 3 attack damage, 10% Critical Damage, that's completely amazing and not at all a total waste of your mastery points.

Oh wait, no, the other thing. Utility gives you Cooldown Reduction, mana regeneration, more frequent flashes/clarities, faster movespeed. Offense gives you ****.

As for the main build, I'd still suggest taking more early Q. It's cheap, it reduces your cooldowns, and it still procs and uses sheen (which should be one of your earliest buys).

Karnikula 03-20-2010 01:00 AM

ezrael is not high AP dependand
you will want to max out 40% CDR and spellpen (his ultimate already hits like a truck without ANY ap, spell penetration is the way to go)

general item build:

mana crystal
sheen
boots
nashors tooth
sorc boots
lich bane

next item depend completely on setup, this build goes with exhaust / flash - 9/0/21
mana regen is completely overrated on this champ - 9 * mana reg per level runes are quite enough + nashors

CaptHarlock 03-20-2010 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karnikula (Hozzászólás 865775)
ezrael is not high AP dependand
you will want to max out 40% CDR and spellpen (his ultimate already hits like a truck without ANY ap, spell penetration is the way to go)

general item build:

mana crystal
sheen
boots
nashors tooth
sorc boots
lich bane

next item depend completely on setup, this build goes with exhaust / flash - 9/0/21
mana regen is completely overrated on this champ - 9 * mana reg per level runes are quite enough + nashors

Honestly, nashor's tooth is pretty much **** on this guy. Why would you NOT stack AP with him. His AP ratio's are insane. With Lichbane, his AP ratios are 1, 0.6, 0.8, 1 for his QWER respectively. CD redux is pretty good, but isn't totally necessary since all you need is 15% in terms of items since golem maxes it out for you.

Nashor's is only decent if you are going AD Ezreal and already have your core items (Tri-Force, Boots, Sword of the Occult). Also, Brutilizer is much better on him anyway than nashor's tooth (for AD build anyway).

Razr 03-20-2010 07:17 AM

Hmm...I like the guide however I have just a couple points of criticism:

1) Your build is 2 high cost AP items that come to about 6k, not including boots or Mejai's, which brings that up to about 8k. Outside of the 160(?) AP on the both of those items combined you're relying heavily on that Mejai's to snowball, which as we all know doesn't happen all the time. I'd recommend throwing another decent chunk of AP in there in the form of a Void Staff or other slightly lower priced AP item so that you're not floundering mid game with close to nothing if the game goes sour.

2) The majority of your damage being done in a team fight comes in bursts before your Lich Bane, which unless you're fed won't come right away. Until then your Q's damage is **** and you have no semblance of sustained DPS; you Flux, Shift, Barrage, and you're done until you get them back up with Q. Not only that but even then your Arcane Shift isn't guaranteed to hit the focused target and could end up putting you in even more danger, leaving you with just Flux and Barrage.

3) You're squishy until Rylai's, which even then requires a hefty investment of a Giant's Belt.

4) No mana regen whatsoever. Unless your team and the opponent are giving you golem all the time there's no way you can sustain spamming spells with this build; I'd recommend an early Chalice and that generally fixes most problems AND gives you a nice bit of magic resist.

Other than that it's a decent guide; I'd simply stay away from recommending 2 or 3 top-tier AP items and focus more on a build that works well when you're not so fed. I haven't played AP Ezreal but off the top of my head I'd recommend something like this:

Meki Pendant -> Chalice of Harmony
Boots -> Merc Treads or Sorc Boots (depending on Team Comp)
Sheen
Mejai's (if you're being fed and not dying)
Void Staff or Guinsoo's Rageblade (depending on whether you want to stay pure AP or go a Hybrid build)
Finish Lich Bane, work on any defensive items you may need (Banshee's, RoA, etc.)

Again, I have not played AP Ezreal so my build could be absolute garbage. However it still should get the point across that rushing high ticket items particularly on a mage with lower AP ratios and skillshots generally won't end so well.